PDA

View Full Version : 427 stroker turbo need help on everything

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 19th, 2012, 06:30 AM
hello everyone.
i have a 427 stroker and a turbo mounted. i origionally had problems with my 427 tune alone without the turbo but decided i wanted more power. needless to say im new to the tuning aspect of this all iv been playing with it for awhyle but have way too much money into it to just be "playing"
I reverted back to my origional truck tuning due to too many problems. a fresh start you could say. The origional truck is a 2005 gmc sierra, it had a 4.8l in it before. the new engine is a7.0l stroked bored ported polished oversized valves ported tb a small cam and a 78mm single turbo.
i cant get it to proper afr at idle, it leans out under hard throttle and it falls flat on its face as soon as boost kicks in (to be expected with stock tune of course)
Im afraid to drive it in its current state. i need help bad. There is a set of 60lb injectors on my bench for the engine but once again they need to be tuned in too. In way over my head need some good solid advice and if someone has a tune out there for my set up itd be greatly appreciated if you could send it to me, or modify it for my application.
Im not too good with tutorials, i can read it but it doesnt sink in. :wallbash: goda love that disability
thanks in advance
Brandon
Ps i know my punctuation is horrible in a rush to get out the door.

Chuck L.
May 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Being the 60# injs are on the bench, I'm assuming you are still on the stock 4.8 injs?
Are the injs rated at 60# @ 3 bar, or?
Where did you get the injs? Ask them for the data.
Is the fuel system set up w/ a return, adjustable regulator?
What are you using for a pump? PSI is?
Speed density, or MAF?

Post your tune, and the gurus can take a look.

BLK02WS6
May 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Not trying to give you a hard time, but you are asking a lot over the internet... Something of that caliber really needs to be tuned by someone who know what they are doing - in person... Do you have a wideband? Do you know how to log and make maps? For any of us to help you, you would have to be able to do that much... As stated above, the first step in a base tune would be the injectors - need the data for the 60#ers... I wouldn't even bother working on a tune with the stockers - actually, its questionable whether the 60's are gonna cut it for your setup...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Not trying to give you a hard time, but you are asking a lot over the internet... Something of that caliber really needs to be tuned by someone who know what they are doing - in person... Do you have a wideband? Do you know how to log and make maps? For any of us to help you, you would have to be able to do that much... As stated above, the first step in a base tune would be the injectors - need the data for the 60#ers... I wouldn't even bother working on a tune with the stockers - actually, its questionable whether the 60's are gonna cut it for your setup...

Yes I know I am asking a lot. Its my only bet though, for any help in person I have to put the truck on a trailer and drive 6 hours. This is not an option right now due to my work. I do have a wideband, and I do know how to log. making maps i am un sure of. :unsure:

Chuck:
There is an areomotive 340 stealth in tank pump coming, should be in next week from summit. max 90 psi at the pump.
The injectors are the 4.8l stock injectors, the map sensor is stock as well. I only plan to run a maximum of 8 psi boost so i didnt see any point in going two or 3 bar sensors. I am running maf I heard its easier to tune with it.

Here are the specs for the injectors. I just found out theyre 48# :throw: one thing after another! may need to borrow some matches from someone!:damnit1:
Product Line: Trick Flow® TFX™ Fuel Injectors
Part Type: Fuel Injectors
Injector Advertised Flow Rate (lbs/hr): 48 lbs./hr.
Injector Impedance: 12.2 ohms
Driver Type: 12 V saturated circuit
Overall Height (in): 2.830 in.
Seat to Seat Height (in): 2.153 in.
Manifold O-Ring Outside Diameter (in): 0.590 in.
Fuel Rail O-Ring Outside Diameter (in): 0.590 in.
Outside Diameter (in): 0.971 in.
Injector Plug Style: Bosch/Amp-style
Wiring Harness Included: No
O-Rings Included: Yes
Quantity: Sold individually.

Fuel Injector, TFX™, 48 lbs./hr., 12 V Saturated Circuit Driver

Here is the tune pretty much stock.

thanks
Brandon

BLK02WS6
May 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I can understand the distance issue... We can try to help, but it isn't gonna be easy...

I would absolutely reconsider the MAF and 2Bar - it is way better to tune a turbo (even if only 8#) with a 2Bar and no MAF. With out going 2Bar, you are forced to command fueling under boost based only on RPM - you can't get good fueling under boost that way... It is cheap to get a 2Bar MAP sensor. The only issue you would have is that you need to get a separate IAT sensor to get rid of the MAF (the truck ones are built into the MAF). The Custom Operating System is the way to go.

You really need to get the injector situation figured out first and foremost...

Also, the file you posted above is not the tune file... that should be a .tun file.

What kind of wideband do you have?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 19th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Ok ill order a 2 bar map asap. Any suggestions on where to get an iat sensor that will work with my truck?
I was looking into the cos seems like some pretty cool features in there. Im running an AEM digital wideband.
i am looking at a set of 120# low impedance fuel injectors.
here are the specs on them

Static Flow lb/hr (n-Heptane): 111.1
Static Flow cc/min: 1225
Static Flow Tolerance +/-%: 4%
Dynamic Flow (mg/pulse): 25.20
Dynamic Flow Tolerance +/-%: 4%
Coil Resistance Ohms: 2.2
Spray Pattern: 3-Prong Cone
Connector Type: Minitimer
O-ring Type: Viton
E85 Compatible: Yes
Methanol Compatible: Yes

The question is high impedance or low?

thanks
Brandon

BLK02WS6
May 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM
You can get the IAT sensor from a 99-02 F-Body from GM or some auto parts stores. You need the rubber grommet to install it in the intake piping too...

High impedance are easier to tune in my opinion - I've had a hard time with lows and driver boxes. Fuel Injector Connection is a good source from what I've heard lately... They have several different models that you could use - best to call them and talk to them about your setup and plans for it... http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/

You will need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator - are you using aftermarket fuel rails and braided line?

Does you AEM have a serial out data connection? or only analog?

Are you gonna run E85? meth injection?

Get real familiar with the Custom Operating System tutorial...

BLK02WS6
May 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
If you want, while you are waiting on parts, you can do steps 1 through 5 of the Custom OS upgrade tutorial and post the resulting tune up here - I can start going through it and getting some work done. You aren't running it or driving it at all now, are you?

What does this thing have in it for a transmission? I sure hope not the 4L60E...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
the aem has an analog out connection for the v2. I am running 1/4 inch stainless line for fuel on stock rails. Heard the stock fuel rails will work for my app but im unsure. not looking for gobs of hp but something to play with and race occasionally. no e85 or meth injection compression is 9;1 though. with 9:1:1 compression and 4 psi boost im still at 11.6:1 compression. rings are gapped more for boost as well so no worries there.
Would this sensor work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-AX32/
i am looking into injectors right now.
I could probly read about the cos and flash my pcm to cos tomorrow.
Thanx

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
No sir the truck is sitting quietly in the garage not bothering with it until i can turn the key and know it will be fine. Yes i have the 4l60e in it but its fully built. had the 427 in it without the turbo and ran it for 15 minutes...... took out the 3-4 gear bands and went out and bought a fully built one. Im not worried it has warranty and if it doesnt hold together i got a 80e in another older truck.
ill get on the cos first thing tomorrow.
Thank you BLK02WS6
it is much appreciated.
Brandon

BLK02WS6
May 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Yes, that IAT sensor will work... you will need the wiring harness pigtail...

Would really be best if you had a serial wideband - just a thought - they give better and more reilable data... I personally like the Innovate...

You will need a way to raise fuel pressure to compensate for the boost - most do it with either a boost referenced regulator or a fuel pump booster (increases the votage to the pump under boost to raise pressure)...

BLK02WS6
May 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
No problem Brandon - myself and others on here will do our best to help you out... My time to be on here is limited, but I'll do what I can...

Bret

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 20th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Iat, boost/vac reference regulator and new 2 bar map have been ordered. Should be in next week sometime. I am going to load in the cos to the truck here in about an hour so ill have a file uploaded here real soon.
Brandon

n8dogg
May 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I second Fuel Injector Connection... I think Brandon is the name of a guy over there (maybe the owner) they do a fantastic job and can steer you in the right direction.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 20th, 2012, 07:53 AM
n8dogg
i called them yesterday left a message with them, i hope to hear from them tomorrow.

I am trying to flash my cos to the truck pcm but am having problems with my tune tool. i have always used it to tune then been forced to use my efi live scan and tune program to flash my pcm. with the cos it wants me to use the tune program which i cant do as it says i need it licenced which iv never been able to do. grrrrrr one thing after another.
any simple suggestions? i may find a cos on here already grab it install to my pcm and flash it with my cal files, that may work

thanks guys
brandon

Chuck L.
May 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM
"I am running 1/4 inch stainless line for fuel on stock rails."....Another item that will need to be attended to.
The 1/4" feed is going to be short on flow. Also, it will create problems when pluming the system to handle the FWHP you are going to make....

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hey Chuck
If i went with 3/8 stainless lines would that work? what would you suggest? i have an abundance of 3/8 and 1/2 inch stainless tubing i like the look of it....
i am open to suggestions for anything i just want this girl runnin again. im driving my (dodge :Throwup:) service truck everywhere. man do i hate it!
thanks
brandon

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 20th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hey guys
Got my custom os loaded in, 3 laptops later....... but its in and i have the paramaters so theyre not out of range just as they said in the tutorial.
Waiting to hear from the injector place tomorrow then we will know exactly what is going on. I only want to run 4 psi normally max of 6 on the street, i dont know how to fill the charts in boost ve for the turbo or do the timing buut feel free to do what you need. If anyone has questions or whatnot email, txt or pm me. Im learnin alot so far.
I appreciate all your imput so far. Thanks for being so patient with me.
Brandon

joecar
May 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Brandon,

Did you enter the info from the blue card into your V7 tunetool (Help->Register EFILive) exactly as it appears on the blue card...?

What version of V7 and V8 do you have installed...?

What V2 firmware version...?

[ I'm asking this because there may some compatibility considerations/corrections that may have to be addressed before you do a full flash ]

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hey joecar
I am running version 7.5 and 8.1.2 build 175.
I used another laptop and everything worked fine, thought it was weird. The cos and cal files flashed over fine with that computer. But if you have a solution im willing to try, computer jumping isnt much fun. It was telling me earlier when I tried it that I had no more room for stream licences.
thanks
Brandon

Chuck L.
May 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Hey Chuck
If i went with 3/8 stainless lines would that work? what would you suggest? i have an abundance of 3/8 and 1/2 inch stainless tubing i like the look of it....
i am open to suggestions for anything i just want this girl runnin again. im driving my (dodge :Throwup:) service truck everywhere. man do i hate it!
thanks
brandon

Given you have the lines in "stock", I'd plumb the feed w/ the 1/2" [-8], and the return w/ the 3/8 [-6]. 3/8 and 3/8 is also OK, IF you keep the FWHP at a "street" level, on gas. [E85 is another story]..[And, we all know how that works!. I ran 26# on the street in my turbo Buick!]:anitoof:
I'm betting that you will be turning the boost up, so those lines should be good to go!:mrgreen:
If the pump does not have a filter sock on it, I'd use a 100 micron s/s filter, to the SS line, then a 40 micron SS filter up near the engine.
Also, if you are hooking up to any lines such as the stock tank, use the metal retainer quick connects. The plastic lock pieces have seen some failures.
Russell makes them. Here's some pt #'s.
644113 5/16"
644123 3/8"

Also, while doing the plumbing, I'd suggest you add in a pressure transducer and use it to log the fuel pressure. There's a tutorial on how to do this.
I drilled and tapped the spare regulator port plug, for mine.

joecar
May 21st, 2012, 04:48 AM
Hey joecar
I am running version 7.5 and 8.1.2 build 175.
I used another laptop and everything worked fine, thought it was weird. The cos and cal files flashed over fine with that computer. But if you have a solution im willing to try, computer jumping isnt much fun. It was telling me earlier when I tried it that I had no more room for stream licences.
thanks
BrandonWhat you said tells me you need to update to V7 build 206 and V8 build 197: Updated Software (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133)

After you install those, you have to open EFILive Explorer and update your V2's bootblock and firmware... but before you do that, what is your V2 bootblock version and firmware version (go into EFILive Explorer to see those)...?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 21st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Hey Chuck
That fuel transducer is a genus idea im getting one for sure. i am going to use 1/2 inch tubing no need to re do everything again due to me being horsepower greedy. :mrgreen:
im taking the box off today to run the lines. i need to order more fittings for my 1/2 inch tube tho. Now were gettin somewhere. :grd:
Thanks
Brandon

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 21st, 2012, 05:27 AM
Hey Joe
My v2 bootblock is 2.07.02 and the firmware version is 2.07.12
i am updating the programs like you said above right now
thanks this shold make life way easier.
brandon

joecar
May 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hey Joe
My v2 bootblock is 2.07.02 and the firmware version is 2.07.12
i am updating the programs like you said above right now
thanks this shold make life way easier.
brandonOk, go ahead and also update the V2 bootblock and the V2 firmware... use EFILive Explorer to do them (in that order)...

( after this update, you will be able to do automatic updates from now on )

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 21st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Hey everyone I just spoke to John from corvetteinjectors.com/fuelinjectorconnection.com he reccomende a set of 95# injectors and he is throwing in the uscar connectors that I need. http://www.corvetteinjectors.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=359 What do you guys think?
brandon

BLK02WS6
May 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Those should work for what you need... make sure to get the data needed for the tables in the tune - I think they are pretty good about supplying everything...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 21st, 2012, 04:19 PM
I will email John tomorrow and get the specs and post them up here.

joecar
May 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
+1 Jon @ FIC is good at supplying data with the injectors.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 27th, 2012, 08:29 AM
waiting on parts, could just be the most painful experience yet.

nonnieselman
May 30th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I just saw your PM,, sorry it took so long to reply. i dont get on here all that much.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hello everyone got my parts today injectors and map are in.
What wires do i hook my IAT sensor to from the maf? fuel system will be done on the weekened.

The forum for some reason will not let me upload the injector data for efi live. its the spreadsheet. Please pm me and i will email the data to you so it can be entered into the tune
thanks
Brandon

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Got it had to make it a zip file.
Hope this works.

wesam
May 30th, 2012, 07:33 PM
There is some thing wrong with the data in the spread sheet
sheet with label B4001 says that the data for LS1B
value start from 114.18 Grams/Second
it seems its in Lb/hr not Grams/Second

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
May 31st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hello Wesam
I emailed fic today but no reply as of yet.
Is there a way to convert the data and put it into the tune?
im not sure about this.
Thanks
Brandon

BLK02WS6
June 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
Brandon - what fuel pressure are you running? The injector flowrate table can be calculated from the data on the injector website (95# at 43.5psi)...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hey i am going to be running 60 psi.(unless otherwise suggested) The new flow rate would be 111.57.
Thanks

BLK02WS6
June 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Okay, I'll put the injector tables into the base tune I have been working on... How is the rest of the work coming along?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Awesome :banana: Fuel pump and lines will be going into the truck tomorrow,aswell as the iat sensor i just have to figure out wiring. It was a today task but unfortunately I was awoken at 5 am to work so its main task tomorrow, phone is getting shut off hehe.
Im getting really excited.
Thanks
Brandon

BLK02WS6
June 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Did you install the 2 Bar MAP sensor?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Yesir that was the first thing I did, easiest task first.

BLK02WS6
June 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Okay... Here is the base tune for the 2Bar and the new injectors. If you put this in and get to the point of starting it - if you have any problems, post up. I'll be back on here tomorrow night.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
Awesome thank you so much! if i get to starting it tomorrow I will datalog startup and put it up as to check for any anomalies.

BLK02WS6
June 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
No problem! Make sure get the IAT in there and you can run a log with the key ahead, but not running, to make sure it reads whatever air temperature is... Watch the wideband when you get it running and make sure to log that...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Ok i will do that. I searched the forum for wiring in the iat but came up short, would you happen to know what wires they would be? or where i couLd get the info on wiring?

BLK02WS6
June 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
No, I don't know which ones. I would search over on LS1tech or try to find some wiring diagrams for the truck (google). One other thing - need to do the "configuring a 2 Bar MAP sensor" on page 14 of the COS tutorial.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hey do i need all 4 02 sensors to go mafless or just upstreams?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
Tan wire and black wire are for the iat. Here is a diagram for anyone looking. 13290

tokymon
June 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
Just the upstream the back to only tell you the cats are working

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Awesome because theyre already gone and mil light was blocked haha. Stupid emissions systems.

tokymon
June 2nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Lol ya it nice not to have emission testing in Alberta I'm catless egr gone

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Haha damn strait. Im afraid to take it to calgary though, they test there. :unsure: but it is fun to kill the local riceburners. :mrgreen:

tokymon
June 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Lol you should see there faces when you kill them in a one ton welding truck with a 5000 lbs skid in the back :notacrook:
to all the boys out there driving civics and cavaliers you go girls

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hahahaha!! That would be fun. Got to love the way little boys drive their 90 hp cars thinking they have a hotrod.

joecar
June 3rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
hahahaha!! That would be fun. Got to love the way little boys drive their 90 hp cars thinking they have a hotrod.roflmao... :)

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
When my truck had the old 4.8l I had alittle work done to it nothing huge, but a guy came up on me in a Mitsubishi 300 gto and I pulled away from him at 220 like he was stopped. It was so funny!! I do miss how high I could rev that poor little engine for its size it sure could go. :mrgreen:

BLK02WS6
June 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Any progress on starting it up yet?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
Yes actually tuning in map sensor right now everything else is done. Any pids that you want me to datdlog on start?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
My map press is 94 the sensor is 105 so pretty close just gona knock a few numbers down and im good thus far

BLK02WS6
June 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Just log the typical stuff - RPM, MAP, AFR, ECT, IAT, timing

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Ok got it calibrated and tuned here is the modified tune and log files. When the truck is running i get a p0200 code. so i am going to check the injector harness.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Ok no need to pancake! it was an injector harness pin that didnt clip in proper from factory. it pushed out slightly when i installed the new harness plugs. all fixed now.

BLK02WS6
June 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM
There is something up with your wideband - see how it is spiking all the time to 25 - probably a grounding issue... This is one of the reasons I swear by serial widebands! Gotta figure that out before going much further... Also, make sure to log ECT...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hey I figured out how to hook up my afr via serial. It is Probly a bad ground as I just pushed the wires into the serial cable plug temporarily. Im out of town till late tomorrow I'll try a new log on wensday with wires fixed and all injectors Workin properly. Hope that will work better Hard wired in with a female serial cable.
Thanks
Brandon

BLK02WS6
June 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Good deal! Have a safe trip and post up when you can...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I will. Crusin right now. Won't get to the site until 2 am, it's going to be a long night. Haha.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Hey
I am still having 02 issues with my wide band... checked all grounds got proper connectors, but its still doing it :Eyecrazy:
Bad thing is I cannot afford to buy another wideband :frown:
Attached is another log.
13324 Hope this will do.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hey everyone im back again. put a tune up a few days ago, You guys find anything else out?

BLK02WS6
June 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM
You are going to have to fix the wideband issue... no way possible to tune like that! Have you gone over all of the wiring and made sure you have a good ground? It is absolutely impossible to tune without a properly working wideband... a new one might be a little expensive, but compared to what you have in your engine, isn't it worth it...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 10th, 2012, 04:34 AM
hey any reccomendations on a wideband brand?

BLK02WS6
June 10th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I have had good luck with Innovate... they have several options depending if you want an installed or handheld. I have an LM-2 and like it... Also, TAquickness.com makes serial cables to connect several widebands to EFILive... there are a few places that offer them in packages if you look around...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 10th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Ok. I like Perminantly mounted gauges. I keep an eye on things alot. What do you think
Of this? http://bit.ly/Lr8s3N

BLK02WS6
June 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM
That would work - but the serial cable they talk about in the ad is not what you need (thats a serial to USB) - you need the sLM2 cable from here: http://www.taquickness.com/taqcables.htm

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 10th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Hey this may be a stupid question but couldn't I just make a serial adapter that goes from pin 3 data output to pin 2 on the v2? Just an idea not sure if it'd work. My specialty is electrical and machining, I prefer electrical. :p

BLK02WS6
June 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM
A serial device connects to the RS-232 serial connection on the V2 as shown in the picture below... and, the other end needs to have a plug to mate with the wideband... unless you have the tools and connectors to make it up, the cleanest way is to purchase a premade cable to aviod any issues...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 10th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Ok. I was just thinkin about using the provided efi serial cable and getting the male and female connectors I need to do it but I'll just buy the connector.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM
my arf gauge will be in on monday! yay! :jump:

joecar
June 18th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Remind me which one you're getting...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hey Joe
I just got the Innovate MTX-L afr gauge.
Sadly to my suprise I installed it and hooked it to power and.......NOTHING...... no power, flicker, error codes, nothin. :cussing: :crash:
Soo im going to be on the phone tomorrow trying to figure this one out.
Wish me luck.

joecar
June 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM
How did you connect it...?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Black to ground
White to ground
Red to positive

I checked troubleshooting, searched forums, everything. i have 12.8 volts at power source and ohm'd out the ground all of that is good.
Its odd.

joecar
June 19th, 2012, 04:17 AM
You have white connected wrong, see point 3 here; http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/quickstart/mtxlquickstart.pdf

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM
You have white connected wrong, see point 3 here; http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/quickstart/mtxlquickstart.pdf

Hey joe I already tried that. :( waiting for innovate to call me. See what they say. I'll let everyone know. What the outcome is.

BLK02WS6
June 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear you are having trouble - they have always given me great customer service - hope you got it straight!

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Ok so my new gauge gets shipped out tomorrow. After talking to innovate and the store i bought it from several times innovate decided to send me a new gauge. i guess it must really be messed because they said throw the old one out. Hmm lets see what makes this thing tick. :music_whistling_1:

Took it apart nothing exciting.power is going through it proper as well as ground. so yupp its fubar'ed.
thanks guys.

tokymon
June 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hopefully the store you bought it from has another one in stock sucks that you got a bad unit

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 24th, 2012, 04:02 AM
The new gauge should be in monday or tuesday!! :lookaround: They said theyve never had a problem like that, it cant come in soon enough. Iv been watching a few buddies working on their engines at the shop and I think im going slightly crazy lol.
What do you guys think of my next project? A 2005 gmc 4.8l engine twinned, bottle, all internals done and a custom set of heads with dual plugs to help combustion under boost? Im wondering why no one has done a dual plug head for these engines.

slows10
June 24th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Unless you plan on making 2500 hp or more with a hemi combustion chamber, dual plugs is probably overkill and not much benefit. Might be a wow factor tho.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 24th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Yeah I was thinking more for the WTFis that dual plugs hehe. Iv been looking and havnt found anyone who produces a twin plug ls head. I would guess because theres no market for them, but it will be cool. Ill post pictures when I do it or post pictures of why not to do it. We shall see.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
June 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ok the good news is I got the gauge. Bad news is im out of town till thursday. Ill post my log up asap when I get it all installed.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Hey sorry I havnt posted anything yet still waiting on my taq cable, wish they would send purolator or something. Just checkin in, thanks guys.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone! Got my taq cable today!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgree n::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Here is my data log from start to operating temp.
Sorry for the wait.

joecar
July 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Ok, I see your wideband in the log.

joecar
July 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
For the LS1 PCM's, when you log for tuning you will have to reduce the pid channel count to 24 or less (see bottom of PIDs tab) to have the fastest frame rate.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ok ill do that next data log. I assume that is just the refresh rate(question mark) for some odd reason it is not working :throw:

BLK02WS6
July 17th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Any updates?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
hello my last update was the datalog found in post number 92. Hope this is better with the new gauge. :beer:

BLK02WS6
July 18th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Definitely better! What are you waiting for - get tuning LOL :laugh: You should be ready to do some light driving logs. Don't forget to post both the tune and log files after you drive it. Here are the pids I log for SD tuning - I use lambda from the wideband so that the correction is correct no matter if the fuel is blended or not... Also attached are the calc pids I use...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Awesome. Ill do some logging and a bit of tuning to the best of my knowledge. Light driving meaning what? Basically right out of my driveway is 1\2 mile of gravel and then straight into a highway, highway driving a good idea yet?
Cursed rain! id be out driving now if i could. :bawl:

BLK02WS6
July 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
If you can have someone ride with you and watch the AFR to make sure it is safe, then you can do a some highway driving... if you are on your own, you may want to stop and look at the logs as you go up through the gears/rpm - for instance, go from idle to maybe 2,500 RPM and check it. Also, if it is way off, you will be able to feel/hear it hesitate or bog - if you do, stop and see what the log is doing. Make sense? With a setup like yours, you have to take it slow and work up the operating range...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
yupp makes sense. so between 12-14 afr is safe depending on rpm? Also timing what would be a safe place for timing under boost, im curious because iv seen some engines come into the shop that have been detonated because of too much timing.

BLK02WS6
July 18th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Between 12 and 15 is good - you will see some spikes here and there from on and off the gas... I set up conservative timing in the base tune we did. The COS pulls timing under boost based on boost, so that is set already... Always better to start timing low and raise it on the dyno when you can see what it is doing to torque/power...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
hey umm what do i do with this calc pids.txt file?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
hey in my datalogger i dont have afr from lambda or anything ben related. what do i do? :lookaround: damn noob i know. :chair:

BLK02WS6
July 19th, 2012, 10:40 PM
You put the calc pids.txt file in my documents/EFILIVE/V7.5/user configuration folder. Then you will have the pids you are missing... I'm not going to be able to help more until tonight - no tuning software at work... I LOL'd at the chair wielding smiley!

joecar
July 20th, 2012, 06:35 AM
After you copy the calc_pids.txt file to the User Configuration folder (see what BLK02WS6 said in post #105), you restart the scantool and you will now have the following pids:

CALC.WO2BEN (correction mulitplier based on wideband)
CALC.LTFTBEN (correction mulitplier based on LTFT's)
CALC.SELBEN (correction mulitplier based on LTFT's (CL) or wideband (OL))

you can select all of them, and then use the one(s) you need;

each of those pids is dependent on other pids (on the PIDs tab, on each of those pids do rightclick->More Info so see which other pids you need to select).

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Ok so i put the pid file into the user config file and it only gives me 10 pids to choose from on all pids. Any ideas why it would do this?

i figured it out just a stupid mistake...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 21st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hey guys
I datalogged from my road to the highway. afr was alittle high so I didnt log much. I notice when idling, or have light throttle the afr is lean, when i get into a tiny bit of boost it smartens up.

BLK02WS6
July 22nd, 2012, 04:10 AM
Good call - it was lean... Here you go - try this one out...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
hey, i only took my truck to the end of my road again.
It goes into a lean state when slightly on the throttle. when i let off its back to a safe afr and when i get into the fuel alittle and add boost it is at a safe afr.
here is the log,

BLK02WS6
July 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Where is your intake air temperature sensor located? It is sky high in the second log and causing issues... Does this thing have an intercooler?

Also, do you have a fuel pressure gage? Want to make sure it isn't fluctuating - with the fuel I added in the first tune, it should have richened up more than it did...

Is your transmission slipping? In the second log, it looks like you hit it pretty hard a couple times and it doesn't pick up much speed...

Here is another tune richened up further...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 22nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
My iat is located in the air filter housing about 8 inches from turbo intake, yes I am running an intercooler with this system
Unfortunately I do not have a fuel pressure sender just a gauge mounted to the regulator. I will have to try to run the tune tomorrow as I just got called out of town for work.
I'll send a data log possibly tomorrow.
Thanks again. :)

BLK02WS6
July 22nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Any chance you can take a picture of your underhood setup? Something will have to be done about that IAT - it is reading 171F while you are driving! It really needs to be on the throttle body side of the intercooler - that is a more true indication of the air going into the intake...

Did I tell you this was going to be hard over the internet? If I didn't... this is going to be hard over the internet! LOL!

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
I can forsure upload a pic of
My setup. I will have to do it tomorrow Aswell. I'm replying from my phone. If I was using my noggin I would have brought my laptop and hooked it to phone. Hey now it it was going to be easy I wouldnt have done it because then everyone else would have Had done it already. I think
I remember you stating this will be a difficult monotonous task. *evil* :laugh:

BLK02WS6
July 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM
LOL! Okay, I'll check back tomorrow.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Awesome. If you lived closer I'd have to take ya for a beer, wings and a bull$hit. I will owe you for sure after all this help.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 22nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Oh hey I just read the transmission slipping comment. The trans is brand new with a 2700 stall so that may be the issue. and if its slippin ill just go till she blow then do a 4l80 trans and t case swap. But she did hook up really nice when i just had the 427 non turbo so its hard to say.

BLK02WS6
July 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Awesome. If you lived closer I'd have to take ya for a beer, wings and a bull$hit. I will owe you for sure after all this help.
Yeah, it would be a bit of a trip LOL! Glad I can help.

Oh hey I just read the transmission slipping comment. The trans is brand new with a 2700 stall so that may be the issue. and if its slippin ill just go till she blow then do a 4l80 trans and t case swap. But she did hook up really nice when i just had the 427 non turbo so its hard to say.

Thing is, if it is slipping, you can't tune it like that... the loading won't be correct. I'll keep an eye on it in the logs.

I want to see the pic of the intake, but I'm pretty sure that the IAT sensor will have to be moved before we go much further - that messes with fuel and timing...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hey. I ordered a new iat temp sensor on the possibility it is bad. The sensor is in the air filter
By the turbo. Haha that would be a long trip. I won't be home until late tonite so pictures will have to wait until tomorrow. Also my sensor comes in tomorrow so that's convenient. I kinda hope the trans isn't slipping... MasterCard isn't wanting to fund my project so much no more. Who knew they wanted to be paid back. :laugh:

BLK02WS6
July 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Sounds good - I'll check back tomorrow!

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Here are the pics. Nothing fancy just a street truck...
Going to load in the tune and log it before it rains again. If you want pics of the engine build ill post those as well.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Here is my log, i think it is too much fuel now, it keeps dying when I get to a stop.
I think were a few steps closer as its not lean any more haha. :mrgreen:

BLK02WS6
July 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Not lean anymore is good! I'll have to look at the log tonight - with the difference in time zones, I'm always sleeping when you post up and I can't look at tunes/logs here at work...

Definitely a sleeper! Love it! Noone would suspect a 427 turbo in there... :angel_innocent:

That IAT sensor definitely needed moved after seeing the pics! That elbow before the throttle body would be a great place to put a meth nozzle... :sneaky:

Is there a MAF sensor in there? Thought I could see it in the one pic... you don't need that anymore...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 27th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Yeah I'm asleep when you write in the morning. Haha. I was going for the sleeper look. A few subtle things like a 4 inch drop, head and tail lights and an exhaust system. I Usto have a nice set of rims for it but sold them and put my perf tires on the stock rim to be sneaky. I put the iat sensor in that rubber elbow. :) I have an old tb spacer in the truck that is tapped and ready for a wet inj systems. Have my nitrous nozzles, boost lines and maybe one day water meth kit to put in. And the nice thing is its all under the vortec beauty cover and hard to see. Tha Maf sensor is still
In Iv yet to remove it. I need another piece of pipe before I do that. But it is all disconnected. The thing I love most about the truck is its 4x4 and man does it launch. I raced an srt10 and won by a fender I
Was actually shocked.

BLK02WS6
July 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Here you go - see where we are now...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hey just a heads up, i dont know if you changed my torque limits from 99999999 to 5--------- something. i loaded it in anyways. just a double check. :)

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Here is my log. There re some slow spots due to a tractor on the road and a cop had someone pulled over. HAHA.

It does feel alot better, and idles nice. Still hits high 14's while cruising at 100 km, but the rest seems ok so far.

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Yes, I changed the torque limits... don't need no stinkin torque limits :laugh:

Here, try this - get into the boost some more now. This thing must pull like a freight train - it goes into boost almost off idle! It's coming around pretty good so far. How do the shift points feel to you? Is it holding gears long enough? too long? converter locking up when you want it to?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Ohh yeah she pulls hard, shifts hard but feels pretty good, i figured you changed those limits! hahaha :laugh: I have to be careful, my house had 1/2 mile of gravel till i get to the highway, theres been a few times I press the throttle and the blow off is going truck is sideways and im smiling from ear to ear hehe. ill log this in about an hour or so.

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Okay - won't be able to do any more till later tonight - my wife is volunteering at a place today, so I have Daddy duty - my little girl is about to get up from her nap...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Here is the sneaky spot i put my bottle. :sneaky::laugh:
:lookaround:1360813609

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Here is another log. I was into the boost alot more this time through most of the speed ranges. :lookaround: no cops. lol
I noticed there was ons spot where i was off the throttle and the gauge maxed out on lean, I got into the throttle quickly to bring it down.
It sounds gnarly into the boost but extremely loud when passing as the wastegate is vented to open air. :mrgreen: This will probly be my last log for about 15 days, I gave my dad the flash scan for his duramax. he is goig on a 700 mile trip for work and towing a trailer, so if he had any complications he could work them out...

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 11:33 AM
You forgot to attach the log.

Edit - don't worry about the lean when you are off the pedal - I missed one of the DFCO disable parameters - its normal for it to do that, but I meant to shut it off while we are tuning... it will be off in the next tune... when we are done tuning, I will turn it back on. You want it to lean out on deceleration - keeps it from loading up on fuel.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
DOH! Howd i manage that! Yeah leaning out that fast kinda scared me. haha.

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Here you go - can you still load this tune? Hope so - even if you can't log it, load it up before he takes the cord...

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Don't worry about the lean-out on decel, that is normal...

It is dialing in really good. It will be hard for me to really optimize timing without you putting it on a dyno - I'm going on experience with somewhat similar setups and being conservative... But, if you aren't looking to totally max it out, it will be okay. Like I said before, tuning something like this over the internet isn't easy...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Ill be loading and logging this quickly. Luckily he hasnt left yet. Anything specific you want done?

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wide open in boost for as long as you are brave... or at least through 2nd and into 3rd gear...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 01:03 PM

damn! I just got that msg as I got back. I have some harder acceleration on here. If its not enough I may be able to do a second run. not a big deal.

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM
It's looking great! Here are some more changes. If you can't go back out, don't worry about it now... we can always do it later.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ill get one more run in today, and ill give you some wot, im gona keep a close eye on the timing though dont wana get too high there,

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
here is another log. The first bit I manual shifted from 2nd to 3rd. on the next higher boost run I let the truck do its job.
The first one it went dead, i hope the logger showed you. Its like it lost all power, had nothing at all then picked up again

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM
The wideband wasn't working, so I didn't get any AFR info... It's only making about 3# of boost. When did it cut out, after you were in 3rd gear or when you shifted it?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I only have a 3-5 psi spring in the gate. Hmm wonder why wideband didnt log... It cut out in 3rd gear at about 180 ish.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Frame 1790 is when it started to act funny and had no power like someone shut the key off.

BLK02WS6
July 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM
It looks like it hit a limiter, but I can't figure out which one... Here is a new tune with a few changes. I don't think you can load it now, but keep it for when your Dad gets back with the cord. I'll keep looking and figure out what is up... gonna call it a night, but I'll look tomorrow.

BLK02WS6
July 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I found it... stupid ETC vehicles have 2 speed limiters and I overlooked one of them... looked right at it twice and didn't catch it. Here you go - use this one to start back logging once you get your cord back. Make sure the wideband is working next time!

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM
AWESOME! Man your my hero. I figured it was something bad at first. :ermm: Thank goodnes it wasnt. Ill load and log as soon as I get the cable back. This is going to be a long 15 days...

joecar
July 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Glad you found it BLK, I was starting to pull my hair out...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks Joe. I wish I was as knowledgeable as you guys. How do I learn about this stuff as you guys did? Thanks again guys. :good:

BLK02WS6
July 29th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for lookin for me Joe! It was driving me crazy too - for some reason, I kept missing that line in the table...

Brandon - you have to do a lot of reading and then gain experience by doing it... It is a never ending learning process because things in the tuning world are always changing (PCMs change when newer vehicles come out, software changes when they improve it, etc)... It helps to have a good knowledge of all of the EFI sensors and what they do - other than that, it all comes down to fuel and spark, just like it always has.

joecar
July 30th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Here is a good read regarding the sensors: http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks Joe im gona read up. make it a file on my cellphone so when im sitting on a site waiting or in camp im not wasting time. :book: The things I get paid for....:lookaround:

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
July 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Just a quick scan theres quite a bit more information on here than youd find in a normal manual, or alldata for that matter. I think i may just print this off for a go to when even working on other peoples vehicles in my back yard.

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
August 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Here is another tune. Hope this works. first one i tried computer died and didnt save. second one i was on the side of the highway. Caught a jack handle off someones truck and poked a 1/2 inch hole in my rear tire. So this tune is me ripping with a tire that was going flat.
Going to be awhyle before i can tune again, tuner is gone and $$$ for a new tire is not in my budget. :bawl:
have a good day.

BLK02WS6
August 13th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Well, cheer up cause this thing is really coming around nicely! Here is a new tune with a couple changes - didn't need much... I up'd the shift points to rev it higher...

When are you planning to add the meth kit? What about upping the boost? The meth will require changes in the tune to take full advantage...
Post up when you get back to it...

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
August 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Awesome! Coming that good eh? Are we ready for more boost? Meth kit will come when i get back from italy possibly late november. Ill probly have two tunes for normal boost and high boost high octane and meth? Man im excited. we will have to tune in my nitrous once its filled too. I am putting a hobbs switch in the nitrous feed line just in case the fuel pressure drops for some reason or another it will shut off. :sneaky:
Thanks, new tire may be coming soon, going to nag my boss for a sponsor. hehe

BLK02WS6
August 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
You should probably wait till you get the meth on it before raising the boost much... On that note, how high are you planning to go on the boost? You will probably end up with two tunes - one for meth and one without... I would not run very high boost without meth if it was mine.

You sure you have enough fuel supply for nitrous too? What pump do you have again? Are you going to have a stand-alone fuel system for the nitrous, or take it off the rails? You may run into problems trying to pull it off the rails...

Also, what plugs are you running in it - colder plugs for the boost?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
August 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I plan to run 8-10 psi boost in the end, nothing too radical. Yeah meth is a must on the engine. I am running a 340 lph pump, I have a spare inline fuel pump I was going to use on another project that would work perfect for the nitrous, ill just make a stand alone just to prevent any future issues. I am running stock plugs, what would you reccomend for plugs?

BLK02WS6
August 14th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Definitely need colder plugs - and gap them tighter too! One or two steps colder... What is the next spring level you have?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
August 14th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I beleive the next spring I have is 6 pounds. I bought several springs extra when I got the kit. I'll look into spark plugs today.

Definitely need colder plugs - and gap them tighter too! One or two steps colder... What is the next spring level you have?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
August 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
What size
Meth jets do you think I should go with?

BLK02WS6
August 14th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Does the kit have recommendations based on horsepower? Is it a progressive kit?

hemi_power_3@hotmail.com
August 15th, 2012, 01:43 PM
So far im looking at http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/corvette/49-ls1-7-stage-2a.html

http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-methanol-injection-pump-jet-kit-no-tank-693

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-WATER-METHANOL-INJECTION-KIT-NO-TANK-for-5PSI-to-30PSI-BOOST-30-3002-/230740959919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b93ba2af&vxp=mtr#ht_1308wt_1058

This is what iv found so far.