PDA

View Full Version : someone please make a fast Sonic it's EASY

Boost
May 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Since the '90s I have been racing and I realize that for a vehicle to be the fastest / one of the fastest it takes a COMBINATION of great tuning and good driving. Many of you have seen / heard that that the 1.4t Cruze / Sonic responds relatively well to tuning and it's a simple approach to safely boosting the power to 190+ (up from 138). The problem is the Cruze is heavy and most 1.4t owners in general are real nerds at drag racing. As a result of this, the "world's fastest street Cruze" is in the 15s (great tuner / driver - limited by car), and the "world's fastest Sonic" just ran a high 14 and they are now bashing EFILive. If I wasn't so broke and busy right now, I would buy a base model Sonic, put the same 180 hp tune on it I run on my daily Cruze, push it a little more and prep the car properly, then drive like a man and instantly SHATTER this "world record" on my first pass! Someone who has the resources, please do this so we can shut these ricers up. I will GIVE you my custom personal race tune. How hard is it to break into the 14s with a tiny 2600 lb car and 200 hp, seriously?? Ok, done venting :)

Boost
May 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.facebook.com/groups/234878003235417/365165370206679/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply

GMPX
May 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
"world's fastest Sonic" just ran a high 14 and they are now bashing EFILive.
Really, that can only be one company doing that (again).
Some good projects are starting here in Australia on the Turbo Cruze at a few workshops that will see things stepped up a bit :sneaky:

I would buy a base model Sonic, put the same 180 hp tune on it
Unfortunately we don't get the turbo Sonic in Australia, it's rumoured to be coming, but then it's just a rumour.

Boost
May 19th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Oh gosh Ross that sucks. But I have seen a few nice modified Holden Cruze in Australia and some great race prepped ones in Germany. Ever since my Rx-7 / Haltech day I realized that some of the absolute best tuning and racing is down there, so I have no doubts in the future there will be some quick drag Sonics and other 1.4t developing.

Just to clarify, the thrash talking is not by a company (directly), rather a group of fanboys that worship as an idol the only tuner they think exists on the planet and refuse to consider EFILive as a legit and powerful alternative. It bothered me because while rivalry and competition is usually great, it is a hard headed statement to say that an EFILive tuned 1.4t would never be able to match the power and speed of the current (slow ass fully bolted on) "champion". I know this is untrue, all the settings are available and my Cruze hits 90 mph very very fast compared to stock, guess I will have to drag the wife's daily which I did not want to. But even if it runs a mid 15 making it one of the fastest, the Sonic is lighter and they won't be impressed unless we smash this 14 second miracle run. Racing these turtle turds makes it real easy to set a record. :)

nevinsb
May 25th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately we don't get the turbo Sonic in Australia, it's rumoured to be coming, but then it's just a rumour.

Gladly trade the Sonic for a HSV maloo z-series.

GMPX
May 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Gladly trade the Sonic for a HSV maloo z-series.
'slight' price difference here though.

Boost
May 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Whatever that is, it sounds really cool.

joecar
May 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Yeh it has 2x as much motor and almost 3x as much HP.

:) :) :) :)

GMPX
May 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
6.2L / 1.4L = 4.43 times the motor.
425Hp / 138Hp = 3.08 times the power.
Though we aren't really comparing apples to apples here folks.

nevinsb
May 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
meh, add a turbo to a 6L, and you're talking.

GMPX
May 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Not sure why this thread turned in to a GM vs GM debate? Next week, Hummer H2 vs Chevy Volt, pretty much the same futile discussion as a HSV vs Sonic/Cruze.
I wasn't trying to point out efficiency vs cubes difference, just putting fact to Joe's analogy, if you want to go down the cubes vs power path we'll invite the Duramax boys to really liven things up :hihi:

Boost
May 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
LOL eh, my 1.4 does not have 138 hp anymore.... :)