PDA

View Full Version : CA smog, temp smoke reduced tune ?

lesd
May 29th, 2012, 06:59 AM
My truck is due for CA smog, where they hit the throttle three times for a smoke check.
My truck is high mileage, and does have a bit of smoke if I do this. I have a 'torque' tune with EFI live, and was wondering
what I can do to reduce the smoke amount for the smog check. I don't care if the truck is reduced power, or otherwise weak, I just want to reduce the smoke temporarily.
What 'knob' can I easily tune for this ?
Thanks !

THEFERMANATOR
May 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Play with B0795 some to reduce the smoke output. My experience has been that right around 1 will yield very little smoke, but a lower number like .9 will yield less. This may be differrent on differrent tunes though as I know LMM's are the exact opposite, and some with LBZ's.

lesd
May 29th, 2012, 09:23 AM
OK, thanks.
What is b0795 , some kind of global fuel map scale ?
I figure if I can limit the ramp up throttle response speed , that would help as well, as it would actually prevent the throttle stab from spinning the engine up before the turbo gets boost to help kill the smoke.
Did I say that right ? ;)

THEFERMANATOR
May 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM
It's a fuel mixture limit table. it is there to control how much fuel to how much air goes into the engine. Basically the stock smoke control table.

LB72004
May 29th, 2012, 05:33 PM
dont know if this will work on the later years but when i got my "smog check" i put tape half way up on the MAF sensor to limit the amount of air it saw. this reduced the smoke to undetectable and was still very derivable. it may be an odd one and may not work for your model but it is easy and reversible. the smaller the gap the more the ECM will restrict fuel. when done unwrap the tape and go.

killerbee
June 3rd, 2012, 02:43 AM
For an opacity emissions test, increase boost around the redline rpm. That will make the biggest difference with ambient dilution. The equipment is really not looking at the opacity during the transient rpm travel, where most smoke is noticed. Experiment with 5-10 psi. Also make sure you dont have a pulsing or puffing instability built into the throttle table. Fueling needs to taper at the redline rpm of the tuning. It will fail 100% of the time without this.