PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear flare shift

mstordahl
June 4th, 2012, 10:12 AM
What would be the best place to start to get rid of the flare shift that I get between 2nd and 3rd at light throttle? Would it be the TVA?

2007 5.9
June 4th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes add TTVA until its gone...or you might need to adjust the second gear band.

mstordahl
June 4th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Will there be a point at which I know that I need to adjust the second gear band?

Im assuming that adding ttva would be in the low throttle range?

Thanks!

2007 5.9
June 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM
When was the last time you adjusted it?

Generally 20k is about as long as I go, 30k is spec.

Yes adjust TTVA under 15% TP

mstordahl
June 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
The trans is almost new, only 3000 miles on it now. It seems to be getting progressively worse but that may be just me getting really annoyed with it. It only does it when it gets warm as well, dont know if that tells you much. I will try to adjust the TTVA under 15% and see what it does.

Hopefully this is not an issue with the trans itself...

2007 5.9
June 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Progressively worse indicates a worn band or loose band.

Either take it back to the builder or adjust the band..if its truly worn or loose then adjusting the TTVA is a bandaid..and it'll keep getting worse..

mstordahl
June 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
What about it being worse when warm? It does not do it cold at all.

2007 5.9
June 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Cold fluid is thicker and once it's warm it thins out...thicker fluid allows better transfer of motion from the second gear apply piston..whereas with thin fluid the apply piston may not move quite as much...causing the band to not apply appropriately and the drum not stopping as designed and causing the 2-3 flare you have.

mstordahl
June 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
So it would be a good idea to just pop off the pan and have a look at the band then? Do you think that there is even any point in adjusting the TTVA?

I talked to the builder and they suggested to adjust a screw on the valve body to raise the pressure a bit, or buy their shif enhanser. Seems to me this might be another band aid again. Guess I should just pull the pan and have a look.

2007 5.9
June 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Is the trans under warranty??

The shift Enhanser does nothing more than change TTVA like you can in the tune...

If they suggest a shift Enhanser then go ahead and mess with the TTVA and see how that goes.

I would not be satisfied with a brand new trans that has a degrading shift quality and being told that you need to buy parts to fix it or do your own adjusting...just saying.

mstordahl
June 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
The trans is still under warranty. I wanted to make sure that the shift enhanser was just changing the TTVA, that saves me from having to buy one ($300).

First thing they did was try to get me to buy the shift enhanser, I was not impressed. If adjusting the TTVA works then I am happy, but if it is just a bandaid for something failing I dont want that. Unfortunately DTT is 4 hours away from myself so warranty work is not the easiest thing. Might have to just bite the bullet though and drive down there. I will try adjusting the TTVA a little, but am nervous that there might be something worse going on.

Thanks for the help Les, I really appreciate it!

FUBAR
June 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
First thing they did was try to get me to buy the shift enhanser, I was not impressed.
Unfortunately DTT is 4 hours away from myself so warranty work is not the easiest thing.

There's your problem!

2007 5.9
June 4th, 2012, 11:34 PM
If you had flare shifting when you FIRST installed the trans, then I'd feel more confident in the TTVA fixing the issue.

Since you indicated that it's getting worse...that indicates a issue. Either the band was too tight at install and it's worn down to being loose, or it was too loose and it's getting looser...or the apply piston seals aren't sealing as good anymore.

Either way...adjust the TTVA till its gone, then leave it alone, if it comes back tgen it's warranty time, if it stays fine then carry on.

mstordahl
June 5th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Thats what I will do then, thanks for the help!

About the TTVA table, I see that the axis is 0, 5, 46%. So should I be adjusting the axis as well to gain more sensitivity at low throttle, or just adjust the one at 5% only to get rid of the flare?

Thanks guys.

2007 5.9
June 5th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Try the 5% first and see if that helps.

DODGE74
June 5th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I had a similar issue with my Trans when it was new and I was told to adjust the front band in 1/8 turn increments until it was gone.

Very simple and after a few adjustments and test drives I haven't had the problem since.

flat_lander
June 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
dropping the pan won't allow you to see the front band unless you remove the VB as well. If I remember right, it's torque to 72 in lbs and then back off 1 3/4 turns. I know when I rebuilt my tranny, I set it a little too tight initially and wore the band in. I had to adjust it well before the 20k interval. Hope it turns out ok for you.

tinman
October 14th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I have a DTT and shift enhancer. I to have the flare shift as well, always had it. I have adjusted the TTVA with some improvement. But I got to thinking if it would be better to remove the Enhancer and just start fresh with EFI. Should I remove it or tune around it?

mstordahl
November 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I did adjust the TTVA up in the low throttle area. I re set the axis to 0,20,40,60,80,100 so that I have more adjustability. By doing that and raising the numbers slightly I have no more flare and a better shift time. I did check the band and it did not need adjustment.

Thanks for the help that was offered, hope this also helps someone else.