PDA

View Full Version : E-Fan Turn on and off question

Mikz86ta
June 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Ok, so to start off I have a 2003 S10 with the 2 speed (single motor/blade) Taurus fan swapped in. I have the LSx 1MB PCM for the record with blue and green plugs.
I have been running the e-fan on high and used a PAC-80 HD Relay, wiring, adjustable Torq-Flo thermo and such. I have another HD relay and wanted to wire it for both speeds. I am trying for a clean look and hate the 3 relay setup some do to get the 2-speed to work. Thing is u can only have one of the speed input wires active since its a single motor or u will burn stuff up.
I have researched and found my 2 PCM wires to activate my relays. But the timing of the settings in the Tune Tool have me questioning weather or not I can do it right.

I want Fan1 out to come on at 180 or if the AC is on and that will be the Low Speed
I want Fan2 out to come on at a higher temp like 210 for emergency cooling if its needed like stuck in traffic in 100+ hot Florida weather.
But Fan1 will need to be shut down and I will prob make a delay (delay by a degree?) between the 2. Is that ok?

So I can set the Fan1 On at 180 and off at say 205/208 right
Then Fan2 out On at 210 and it be ok right?
Since I am using relays between the signal out of PCM and the power anyways, I shouldnt need to diode isolate right?

Taz
June 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM
... I want Fan1 out to come on at 180 or if the AC is on and that will be the Low Speed ...

Use the search function on this Forum to search for "E-Fan" or "A/C Pressure Sensor" - there are a couple of recent threads. The E-Fans will not activate based on A/C pressure (A/C being turned on) without input from an A/C Pressure Sensor. No V6 S10 used an A/C Pressure Sensor - only 4 cylinder S10 used this sensor. There is no way I know of to make this work with a V6 S10 using a 1 Mb LS1-B PCM (Blue / Green connectors). You could try finding someone with TunerCat software (which may be able to alter the A/C type of your V6 S10 tune) - and try that option - this is not always successful - as you will discover when reading the other threads on this topic.

Regards,
Taz

Mikz86ta
June 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
On my current Torq-Flow e-fan relay/switch device, there is an input for AC to turn the e-fan on whenever the AC is turned on. I used the wire that goes to the AC Comp clutch (green if I recall). That gives me the signal input I needed. Is there a blank Input slot on the PCM green/blue connector that I can tap into from that and diode isolate to tell the PCM the AC is on?
Or I guess I can just wire the AC Clutch On wire to my relay and diode isolate it if all else fails.

I will search again. Thanks for the reply Taz

slows10
June 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Can you post a wire diagram or drawing showing what you have done so far, as you explained in your previous posts?

Mikz86ta
June 7th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I can draw it and take a pic..lol I dont have a scanner. Lemme see what I can do and I will try to post up my intent options with the PCM.

BTW, my EFI Live TuneTool has a bunch of options for Fan 1 and Fan 2 Under System...Fans....Paramiters.
From on and off by temps
On AC by temp
etc.
G0901 to G0920 and G1203 to select fan type. Currently OFF since I had orig clutch fan,

slows10
June 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I /we understand what you are thinking. But just because the fan tables are there in your tune file does not mean they will work with a vehicle that was never avail with e-fans. If you are really serious about this, do some searches.You will find you need to figure on some segment swaps, installing pressure sensors,knowing exact pins on the ecm for the two o/s you are using etc etc. You will need at bare minimum a genuine factory service manual for both vehicle systems you are gonna use. After all that it is still not gauranteed to work cause im sure im still missing alot of important steps.

Mikz86ta
June 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ok cool thx. I had seen in the past a few guys program the efan out for S10 guys. And no s-10 ever came with an e-fan. So they did someting to make it go.
According to my Manual with PCM Pinouts for my exact truck year, I see AC Low Press Pin55 in Green Connector, AC Request Pin17 in Green Connector and AC Clutch Relay in Pin43 of Green Connector.
So I was seing that my PCM knows AC status. Schematics some wires come from the control head. So my PCM I know uses that for Idle Speed control and whatnot. Also the 'turn off' function at certain High Speed VSS and High RPMs to save the Comp Clutch. Just figured since the input data was there and the ECT data was there it would reference it internally and those outputs (tho may not having wires yet) could be utilized for e-fan 1 and 2 control.

All else fails I can get a second thermal sensor and also a std relay to 'toggle' between the 2. I do have good wiring skills by trade :) I have pinned my PCM before as well and have a few spare pins/wire pigtails from a donor trk. (I was getting HPTuners Std once and pre-pinned my EGR blank on the conector to run my wideband to and to the WB-to-EGR Input Mod)

schwoch1
June 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I am fairly confident that you can make the required changed with the Tunercat's software.
Go to www.monodax.com and look around, that is the forum for TUnercats, usually kinda quiet there, but people come out of the woodwork when help is needed!!!

Mike

slows10
June 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Thats another good forum over there, great guys. Your a/c request thread was a good read. Good to know that it can be done on a few certain pcms.

slows10
June 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Mikez86ta, I think the answer to your problem is on that forum that schwoch1 posted.

schwoch1
June 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thats another good forum over there, great guys. Your a/c request thread was a good read. Good to know that it can be done on a few certain pcms.
I am glad I provided something beneficial to everyone over that. We all knew it would be something stupid, and it was, just had to figure it out!!!

Mike

Mikz86ta
June 13th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Thanks, I know a tuner who has HPT and did it for a few S10 guys but he didnt disclose how. Or if he did it thru HPT or had another program to do it.
I have JET DST and will search it to see if its in there. DST is old TunerCat. I am a member on monodax and will search there. Thx

schwoch1
June 13th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks, I know a tuner who has HPT and did it for a few S10 guys but he didnt disclose how. Or if he did it thru HPT or had another program to do it.
I have JET DST and will search it to see if its in there. DST is old TunerCat. I am a member on monodax and will search there. Thx

PM me and I will give you my email addy. and you can send me your .jcl file and I can see what I can do!!!

Mike

Mikz86ta
June 13th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Ok cool

nevinsb
June 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I'm using the flex-a-lite VSC on mine. The probe broke, but it still has input for manual on/off and AC input. Think I was using the green wire, but it doesn't turn off at high RPM, which isn't really an issue for me.

If you use the probe, it comes on between 60-100%

Mikz86ta
June 14th, 2012, 02:18 AM
The one I got now is adjustable and has the probe. IIRC has a manual input as well plus the AC input. Which is cool and Im fine with it.
My thing is trying to get it to effeciently operate the 2 speed fan. Its one motor so you have to summ one input at a time. Thus if I use another adj. relay/thermo, then both inputs for the motor will be summed and prob cause issues.