PDA

View Full Version : Real Time

BadLSX
June 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I'm just curious why we can't have any Real Time tuning stuff with V2, without having the additional expense of the Moates RoadRunner? I know that the "other" tuning software has a operating system that supports it. I think that it would make it so much easier to see what adjustments affect the car & having the ablility to change them without loading a different calibration in the car.

slows10
June 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Except that the "other" software is not true, real time tuning. At least it wasnt a few years back.

joecar
June 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM
That solution shares some of the PCM's memory which would be bad if it accidentally overlaps the PCM's working space.

BadLSX
June 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
ok, I think I get it. So with the RR is everything able to be changed in realtime?

joecar
June 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yes, the RR replaces the entire flash space with dynamic memory so any table/parameter can be changed in realtime.

GMPX
June 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM
The HPT realtime gives you just a select few tables to alter realtime, but given it's working on the Class2 data bus (slow) I don't know how responsive it really is. With the Moates system every table and parameter you see in EFILive can be modified reatime, and, it's over the USB port, not the vehicle data bus.

BadLSX
June 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Maybe I'll have to start saving up for one. 3 years with EFILive & all I can do is change very minor things lol It don't help that I rarely drive the car either.

joecar
June 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, the USB port is several orders of magnitude faster than the Class 2 bus...

12 Mb/s vs 10 Kb/s

(b=bits)

kangsta
June 6th, 2012, 03:28 PM
the HPT solution is better than nothing but laggy and you're stuck with a fixed set of tables, not to mention the changes are temporary. If the software crashes (likely) and you keyoff you will loose your work.

Great thing about Roadrunner the obvious tables aside is being able to adjust shift points and TCC on the fly without reflashing.

minytrker
June 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I use both and you can not even compare the two. My road runner was worth every penny and has paid for it self 10x over easily.

limited cv8r
June 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Pitty there's no E38 RR.

GMPX
June 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Well, I don't think that will ever happen.
After the success of the LS1 & LB7 Duramax RR PCM's people started asking for the E40 & LLY Duramax ECM's (essentially the next gen ECM after LS1 & LB7), Craig said no. The E38 is a whole new level of complexity beyond those two, so if it's already been said that the 'easier' choice isn't going to happen then it's a safe assumption the latter won't either. Besides, from memory the CPU clock speed of the LS1 PCM was around 20MHz or so, the E38 is up around 56MHz I think, so it might have even needed a whole new hardware design too.