PDA

View Full Version : Norton dislikes Efilive

limited cv8r
June 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Used norton power eraser today, it did not like efilive and deleted them. Just an FYI.

GMPX
June 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
People use Norton? :pokey:

Chevy366
June 7th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Used norton power eraser today, it did not like efilive and deleted them. Just an FYI.

That sucks. :crash:

Chevy366
June 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
People use Norton? :pokey:
Good one!

Blacky
June 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM

But seriously, did Norton actually provide any reason or log file or analysis of why it recognized those file as somehow dangerous?
If you've got nay more info I will investigate...

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
June 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Looks as though you have to make it do it; http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=spe-user-guide

limited cv8r
June 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM
This is the only other screen you get to see.
Yes you have to make it do it.
Question is why does it see EfiLive as a bad thing.

GMPX
June 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Maybe Norton's is owned by tree hugging hippies

swingtan
June 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Noton will be using MD5 sum checks of known malware code snippets, it's a pretty standard method. However, in their case, they have probably chosen too small a sample for their MD5 and it happens to match a part of the code used in EFILive. Normally, you'd submit the false positive files to them and tell them they are clean, then they would fix their mess up. But as you've used a trial version, they may not take a submission. It's Symantec's issue though, not EFILive's. My advice is to use a decent scanner and set up the policies correctly. AV is not a "plug and play" solution, it takes time to configure and optimise. Any product that is marketed as "just load and run" is probably not worth installing.

Simon.

Blacky
June 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Question is why does it see EfiLive as a bad thing.

If I knew what Norton was "looking for" then I could investigate why.
But if Norton just flag something as bad without explaining why it was flagged then there's nothing I can do about it.
You'd need to ask Norton why it was flagged as somehow bad.

Regards
Paul