PDA

View Full Version : Overwrite HPT custom OS

limited cv8r
June 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I understand a PCM with a HPT custom OS will show up as locked. Question is can I overwrite this with a full flash from Efilive. This is a LS1 PCM.

macca_779
June 8th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I understand a PCM with a HPT custom OS will show up as locked. Question is can I overwrite this with a full flash from Efilive. This is a LS1 PCM.

No you can't mate. HPT changes the key automatically when applying their custom OS on LS1's. It's a pain in the arse.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

GMPX
June 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
It's amazing how many HPT users are not aware of that 'feature'. Not real good when there is shops out there who don't lock PCM's (knowingly).

limited cv8r
June 8th, 2012, 10:37 PM
So I guess I will be sending another parcel to GMPX.

GMPX
June 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Check it first, you never know, because now that I think about it, I don't think the auto lock is mandatory, the user has to Disable it, rather than Enable it.

limited cv8r
June 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I tried to read this PCM already,I get the unrecognised or locked PCM message,use alt keys will show a seed but end up same result. This car has previosly been tuned mafless, that's why I'm assuming its either locked or HPT custom OS.

kangsta
June 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM
if it is HPT custom os for LS1B they have a different seed key algo for the custom os and a different one again for actually locking it. So to any other software its always locked. To their software it can be locked or unlocked.

kangsta
June 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM
you can tell by the os number if its one of their custom os

Ryan W.
June 10th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Can the GM dealer flash it back to stock?

GMPX
June 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
if it is HPT custom os for LS1B they have a different seed key algo for the custom os and a different one again for actually locking it. So to any other software its always locked. To their software it can be locked or unlocked.
That doesn't make sense, it's either locked or it's not. I hear it all the time from people that the tuner says he didn't lock the PCM but they can't read or write to it. What would be the point of using a different seed/key algo on a custom OS if their (anyone with HPT) can unlock it?

Can the GM dealer flash it back to stock?
No.

kangsta
June 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
That doesn't make sense, it's either locked or it's not. I hear it all the time from people that the tuner says he didn't lock the PCM but they can't read or write to it. What would be the point of using a different seed/key algo on a custom OS if their (anyone with HPT) can unlock it?

Why doent it make sense? There are different algos to calculate the 'right' key. I expect their reasoning is that by using non GM algo for their os they could stop most people reading out a PCM and flashing it into another one using a 3rd party tool.

For their own software they can have a different algo again based on the interface serial for example so amongst the HPT users if it's not 'locked' anyone can read and modify with their HPT cable and if it is locked another HPT user wont be able to read it.

GMPX
June 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM
So what you are saying is there is three potential valid keys on a HPT COS?

Stock (Unlocked).
COS algo, so the standard GM algo won't work, but it will read with any HPT cable using their different COS algo.
Totally locked, nothing can read or write to the PCM.

Cheers,
Ross

macca_779
June 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Stock (Unlocked).
COS algo, so the standard GM algo won't work, but it will read with any HPT cable using their different COS algo.
Totally locked, nothing can read or write to the PCM.

Cheers,
Ross

That's how it is Ross. Got me stuffed why they do it.

Would be awesome if you guys incorporated their algo into the alt keys. But I do realise short of them handing it over its not a straight forward thing to do. Alas you guys are very smart I'm sure you could do it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

kangsta
June 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
yes but.....

Stock (Unlocked). not on LS1B COS
COS algo, so the standard GM algo won't work, but it will read with any HPT cable using their different COS algo. yes
Totally locked, nothing can read or write to the PCM. only the HPT tuner cable that locked it can unlock/read/write

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
June 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Would be awesome if you guys incorporated their algo into the alt keys.
Reverse engineering HPT to figure their custom algo sounds like a pretty bad idea to me, we would never try something like that.

Tre-Cool
June 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Reverse engineering HPT to figure their custom algo sounds like a pretty bad idea to me, we would never try something like that.

perfect picture. :-)

macca_779
June 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Lol I'm sure. But seriously do it anyway.

GMPX
June 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM

perfect picture. :-)
OK, my serious face on (as it was before)............No we won't reverse engineer their software.

Lol I'm sure. But seriously do it anyway.
Go right ahead, let me know when your day in court is :ermm:

limited cv8r
June 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Would J2534 work or does that also use a seed key.

kangsta
June 11th, 2012, 08:36 PM
everything that talks to the PCM through OBDII port uses seed/key

macca_779
June 11th, 2012, 11:43 PM
OK, my serious face on (as it was before)............No we won't reverse engineer their software.

Go right ahead, let me know when your day in court is :ermm:

They really would be petty to go to those lengths. You guys do after all do it to a massive corporation like GM.

Be like a crook stealing from another crook and then the first crook suing the second. But the owner not caring.

GMPX
June 12th, 2012, 12:32 AM
They really would be petty to go to those lengths.
They sued Powerchip many years ago, not sure what it was over though, I guess if they were copying or bypassing licensing then that is bound to happen and will no doubt happen again should something similar pop up elsewhere.