PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the LS2 in my Trailblazer SS - ECM and TCM?

TBSS
February 15th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I have yet to get a tuning package for my Trailblazer SS.....perhaps because there are no packages out there yet? :mrgreen:

Anyway, knowing nothing about EFILive, I have been plodding through the regular website and now the forums. After attempting to do some unsuccessful searches (the search feature will not allow three-letter terms like ECM, TCM, LS2....:rolleyes: ) I am now posting here.

What will I need to tune my Trailblazer SS? There is a company selling a mail-order tune for the Trailblazer SS which requires that you send in both the ECM and TCM from your vehicle. Will I be able to tune both of these modules with Flashscan V2 when it comes out?

How much will the package be to tune my TBSS?

dfe1
February 15th, 2006, 04:51 AM
As far as I know, the Trailblazer SS, which has essentially the same 6-liter engine that's in the Corvette and GTO, uses LS2 PCM. That being the case, you'll need V2. The 06 model trucks with 5.3 engines still use LS1 operating systems, so they can be tuned with V1.

TBSS
February 15th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I read somewhere that EFILive will be charging extra for the ability to tune both the ECM and TCM, versus just the ECM. Do EFILive employees visit this forum? It would be nice to get a for-sure answer directly from them.

dfe1
February 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM
EFILive employees not only visit this site, they also post, and are a constant source of useful information. I can't speak for them, but I can tell you from experience, that when all the dust clears, EFILive will be the best deal around.

joecar
February 15th, 2006, 06:14 AM
My understanding is that the ECM and TCM each require 1 pcm licence (since they are 2 separate controllers);
correct me if I'm wrong.

TBSS
February 15th, 2006, 06:16 AM
EFILive employees not only visit this site, they also post, and are a constant source of useful information. I can't speak for them, but I can tell you from experience, that when all the dust clears, EFILive will be the best deal around.
Uh, thanks, but I'm just looking to have my question answered. :confused:

dfe1
February 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Uh, thanks, but I'm just looking to have my question answered. :confused:
Patience, young Jedi. I was just trying to give you some insight until one of the EFILive guys can answer. (They're in Australia, where it is now almost 5:00 AM. I'm sure Ross will post an answer shortly.

Ross, are you there????????????????????

GMPX
February 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Ross, are you there????????????????????

No, I'm in NZ at the moment actually!.
Right now we have not finalized the pricing structure on the Trans side of things. Not the answer you all were looking for I know, but what we need to weigh up is the R&D time for the trans (quite a bit) v's charging for another license when the user will be tuning the engine computer anyway.

We also need to base our pricing on future GM Transmission products.
We are not in the business of changing our prices every 6 months, so what is good for today should reflect what is needed 6 months, 1 year down the track......remember, there is transmissions on the way from GM with more than 4 gears!.

Cheers,
Ross

TBSS
February 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Not sure why you plan on charging extra for functionality that just happens to reside in another physical location/computer in the TBSS, while this same functionality lives in the same computer in other vehicles. It's the same tables and functions, yes? You go throught the same OBDII port to tune it, right? So why would you charge more? Makes no sense to me.

Black02SS
February 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Not sure why you plan on charging extra for functionality that just happens to reside in another physical location/computer in the TBSS, while this same functionality lives in the same computer in other vehicles. It's the same tables and functions, yes? You go throught the same OBDII port to tune it, right? So why would you charge more? Makes no sense to me.
I can't speak for Ross, but I personally have no issues paying more to tune the TCM on newer models because you have think of the time and research it takes to find thinigs in the TCM. Remember, it is separate and will require the same (I think) development as the PCM's have.

Blacky
February 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM
We have deliberately not made a decision on the TCM/ECM licensing issue. The license mechanism has not been implemented yet and we are still evaluating a number of different options. We would like to hear comments from customers on what you would consider a reasonable licensing scheme.

From a customer point of view TBSS summed it up nicely and that post makes perfect sense.
But from a research and development, cost justification point of view, when the TCM is separate from the PCM, the effort involved in setting up and maintaining the software, calibrations and bootloaders for both controllers is significantly higher.

Regards
Paul

Black02SS
February 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Split it up. Take the customer views as well as the research into consideration. Make vehicles with a TCM instead of use 2 licsenses, use 1, but that license is $150. You guys get alittle for your efforts and the customer isn't paying for two licenses. Just an idea.

TBSS
February 18th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Which vehicles have this type of setup? Is it LS2 vehicles or CAN bus vehicles or what? What determines when the functions get split up - is there a rhyme or reason to it?

GMPX
February 18th, 2006, 01:51 AM
GM is moving this way with most V8 vehicles.
Probably comes down to computing power (or lack of) and having a standard TCM that can be configured for many platforms using the same trans.

Cheers,
Ross

MN C5
February 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM
One idea

1a. Flashscan ships with 2 engine tuning licenses and 1 tcm licence. The tcm licence can only be used with a vin recorded in the cable with a matching modified bin for the ecm.

1b. Same idea but the 1 tcm license cost is reduced by X dollars on new orders instead of shipping with it for free. Any additional tcm work requires a full license

2. After that if you want to play you've got to pay!

3. You guys have to make enough to keep the updates free after all:banana:

4. Nothing you can do will stop the whining from the few the loud and the petty.
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dro0677l.jpg

dfe1
February 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I can't speak for Ross, but I personally have no issues paying more to tune the TCM on newer models because you have think of the time and research it takes to find thinigs in the TCM. Remember, it is separate and will require the same (I think) development as the PCM's have.
I can't speak for Ross either, but he and Paul have always been MORE than fair. They continually update FlashScan and don't charge for it, they provide tuning for 1997-98 without requiring a license, they added Duramax tuning and didn't charge for it. You can rest assured that whatever they decide regarding future development will be extremely well done and fairly priced.

joecar
February 19th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I agree, Paul and Ross have always been beyond fair with us customers.
:cheers:

Extinct
November 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM
What was the final decision on this ? Do we have a product for a TBSS yet ? If so, what is the pricing needed ? I know the upgrade discount window ends tomorrow and I need to make a decision.

Also, I am hearing rumors that the LBZ tuning is in Beta stages. Will this require V2, or can I do it with my V1 ? I have been saving my other V1 license to tune my LBZ, but if I need to upgrade to do so I would like to know now.

Thanks

Tim.

Ira
November 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
What was the final decision on this ? Do we have a product for a TBSS yet ? If so, what is the pricing needed ? I know the upgrade discount window ends tomorrow and I need to make a decision.

Also, I am hearing rumors that the LBZ tuning is in Beta stages. Will this require V2, or can I do it with my V1 ? I have been saving my other V1 license to tune my LBZ, but if I need to upgrade to do so I would like to know now.

Thanks

Tim.

On a V2 cable one license covers both the TCM and ECM in 1 vehicle. I believe that you will need V2 for the LBZ as most 2006/07 vehicles are CAN based which requires V2.

Ira

LT1WIRING
April 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I will be happy to rid the tqmgt I don't care what it cost!