PDA

View Full Version : Problems with scan tool

monkeybrain
June 12th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ran into a few issues while playing with the scan tool that hopefully someone can help me with.

I hook up my v2 and turn the key on, click the "connect to vehicle button", choose my ECM and it connects. That's when I ran into a couple issues that I can't figure out. I'm sure I'm missing a step or something. Anyhow, the first one is with the OBD II tab. I click on this then the DTC tab and then I press Shift F8. Most of the time this doesn't do anything even though I have a check engine light illuminated. The "engine" buttons are grayed out as well.

2nd, what is the keyboard shortcut to open up the predefined pids list? Half the time I open the scan tool it's up there and the other half not. I'm not sure what I'm doing to prevent it from coming up automatically.

3rd, when I go to disconnect, the program locks up... every time. I have to disconnect the v2 by unhooking the cable otherwise it will just sit there saying "disconnecting". I can't close Scan V7.5 at all without disconnecting the usb from my v2, not even by going to windows task manager and forcing it to close.

I upgraded to V7.5.7 Build 209 and V8.2.1 Build 200 before doing this. Also updated my firmware and bootblock. Laptop runs Vista 32. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blacky
June 12th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Ran into a few issues while playing with the scan tool that hopefully someone can help me with.

I hook up my v2 and turn the key on, click the "connect to vehicle button", choose my ECM and it connects. That's when I ran into a couple issues that I can't figure out. I'm sure I'm missing a step or something. Anyhow, the first one is with the OBD II tab. I click on this then the DTC tab and then I press Shift F8. Most of the time this doesn't do anything even though I have a check engine light illuminated. The "engine" buttons are grayed out as well.

You may not actually be connected to the vehicle. Make sure the status bar at the bottom is blue, that indicates it is connected to a vehicle.
If the status bar is yellow, that means it is currently trying to connect. If it is grey it means it is not connected.

Also make sure the following check box is checked:
Edit->Properties->[Advanced]->"Check/Clear DTCs for all modules".

2nd, what is the keyboard shortcut to open up the predefined pids list? Half the time I open the scan tool it's up there and the other half not. I'm not sure what I'm doing to prevent it from coming up automatically.
There is no keyboard shortcut for opening up a PID file, but you can specify which PID file you want opened when you start the software:
Edit->Properties->[Startup]->"Load Defaults"

3rd, when I go to disconnect, the program locks up... every time. I have to disconnect the v2 by unhooking the cable otherwise it will just sit there saying "disconnecting". I can't close Scan V7.5 at all without disconnecting the usb from my v2, not even by going to windows task manager and forcing it to close.

I recommend using the old USB drivers, not the latest ones that get installed with V8.
To change the USB drivers, run the program:
Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager (right click it in the start menu and select "Run as Administrator")
Then click on the older drivers "Install USB V2.02.04"
Then unplug and replug FlashScan to allow the driver to change.

Regards
Paul

monkeybrain
June 12th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks a bunch Paul. I'll give it a go later today and report back.

Sent from a pay phone

monkeybrain
June 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Reverting to the older USB drivers seems to have fixed all the issues I was having. Thanks again!