PDA

View Full Version : Lean Cruise Mode...?

deezel
February 8th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I have attempted to enable lean cruise mode to improve fuel mileage. I think I adjusted the settings properly - enable 50mph, disable 45mph, rate.005, timers 240 and 100, target AFR .05 to .1 in cruise cells, and temp multiplier 1.0 in operating range.

Hard to tell if it is working or not. I haven't enough miles yet to confirm any improvement. When I use the scantool and log, I do not see the commanded AFR change. Shouldn't the commanded AFR change when these conditions are met?

GMPX
February 9th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Deezel,

Lean Cruise will not function on US cars/trucks no matter what you do to those tables.......well, until we release our fix for it, within the month hopefully.

Cheers,
Ross

Dirk Diggler
February 9th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Now that would be nice for US cars. I would love to save gas. At 2.07 a gallon it adds up pretty fast

GMPX
February 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
MRK, in a way, doing ANYTHING to the stock GM tune would violate smog rules, so does fitting a 240+ camshaft :lol: .

Hey $2 a gallon, that's cheap :(

Lean cruise does work very well, esp if you do alot of highway travel, around town you would not notice it.

Cheers,
Ross

mistermike
February 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Deezel,

Lean Cruise will not function on US cars/trucks no matter what you do to those tables.......well, until we release our fix for it, within the month hopefully.

Cheers,
Ross
I wonder if that applies to the GTO? It's only "semi-American" but it is a different OS than the Monaro.

joecar
February 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM
... Hey $2 a gallon, that's cheap :(

I've been away for some time...
What is the price of petrol in Oz these days...?

GMPX
February 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
... Hey $2 a gallon, that's cheap :(

I've been away for some time...
What is the price of petrol in Oz these days...?

About $1 per L for 98 Octane.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
February 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Ouchy... :cry:

joecar
February 10th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I notice that the octane numbers in Oz are calculated different than in USA.
Is there a math formula that correlates the values...?

Dirk Diggler
February 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I think its equiv to 94 here

SSbaby
February 10th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Read this...

http://members.aol.com/tfrecord/page37.html

There are two basic metrics for octane -- the Motor-Octane-Number and the
Research-Octane-Number, often referred to as MON and RON. RON is an octane
rating that is established with a relatively lightly taxed engine, while MON is
determined under heavier loading. There is a complex mathematical relationship
between MON and RON, but for practical purposes they normally differ by
approximately ten. For example, fuel with a MON equal to 82 octane would have a
RON of about 92 octane.

For many years, the octane number posted at gas pumps was in RON-units. The
numbers shown in our old T-series manuals are in RON-like units. According to my
TF special Tuning Manual (issued by the MG Car Company Limited), RON octanes
for TFs should be between 80 and 90, depending on the degree of hop-up.

To complicate things, the system for measuring octane for automobiles was
changed about twenty-five years ago. The number at the gas pump became the
average of RON and MON. If you take a careful look at the pump the next time you
fill up, you will probably find a label stating: anti-knock index = (R + M)/2. This
formula indicates that gas pump octane is now the midpoint between RON and MON.
Recalling that RON and MON differ by about ten, then the new average is five points
above MON and five points below RON. When the gas pump system for identifying
octane was changed, many people felt at the time that octane was being lowered, but
in reality it was the same as before -- only the units for measuring had changed. An
octane of 92 in the old RON system became 87 (subtracting five) in the new system.
Also, one should subtract five from the octane numbers in our old MG manuals to
convert to today's figures.

GMPX
February 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I forgot to add, our Octane is like PMPO ratings on audio gear!!.
Mind you, with over 50% of the petrol price being tax it's not really the oil companies fault.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
February 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Deezel,

Cheers,
Ross
I wonder if that applies to the GTO? It's only "semi-American" but it is a different OS than the Monaro.

US GTO should be O.K, the lean cruise platform check doesn't know what side of the world the car ended up on, it just knows it is a Holden.

Cheers,
Ross

deezel
February 10th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Deezel,

Cheers,
Ross
Ok, thanks.
Looking forward to the updates. I like to take advantage of the "off road" features when possible. Also hoping that your software fix for the "busy data bus" issue will allow me to use high speed mode through the OBDII port. I really can't complain, though. It only takes 1min33sec to flash even in slow speed mode. Keep up the great work.
:D

joecar
February 11th, 2005, 07:03 AM
An octane of 92 in the old RON system became 87 (subtracting five) in the new system.
:idea:

So, if the RON system is used in Australia,
and (R+M)/2 is used in US,
then 98 RON is 93 (R+M)/2

(assuming MON - RON = 10 in most cases).

I see... :)

Tydriver
April 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Any update on the release of being able to ACTIVATE this feature for us USA peeps ??

Just curious....

GMPX
April 7th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Just finishing the lean cruise mod off now across all PCM O.S's.
Also the Beta testers are finalising the full flashing option as well (which will be needed to do this).
Also, this will only be available on 2001+ Cars/Trucks (of course you could update your car to a 2001+ O.S but you wouldn't be able to transfer your tune from say a 1999 program, more details on this when it is released).
Anyway, not too far away.
Oh plus some more neat enhancements into the Tuner.

Cheers,
Ross

87gmc
April 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Just finishing the lean cruise mod off now across all PCM O.S's.
Also the Beta testers are finalising the full flashing option as well (which will be needed to do this).
Also, this will only be available on 2001+ Cars/Trucks (of course you could update your car to a 2001+ O.S but you wouldn't be able to transfer your tune from say a 1999 program, more details on this when it is released).
Anyway, not too far away.
Oh plus some more neat enhancements into the Tuner.

Cheers,
Ross

Interesting can you fill me in more on updating my 99 to a 01 O.S. to be able to use lean cruise and also if im to do that will i loose my vin on my cable or will also transfer?

Dirk Diggler
April 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Great I cant wait

Tydriver
April 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Great !! Thanks again for the update !

GMPX
April 8th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Interesting can you fill me in more on updating my 99 to a 01 O.S. to be able to use lean cruise and also if im to do that will i loose my vin on my cable or will also transfer?

GM only had Lean Cruise 'in' the PCM from 2001 onwards.
You will not loose anything on the full flash, all important vehicle specific info is retained, including your VIN.
You will need to upgrade to the commercial level license though.
Once that is done you can full flash and you also have access to our custom O.S's for free!!.

Cheers,
Ross

87gmc
April 8th, 2005, 04:16 AM

GM only had Lean Cruise 'in' the PCM from 2001 onwards.
You will not loose anything on the full flash, all important vehicle specific info is retained, including your VIN.
You will need to upgrade to the commercial level license though.
Once that is done you can full flash and you also have access to our custom O.S's for free!!.

Cheers,
Ross

Ah man I guess im SOL on the upgrading my O.S. If someone does the upgrade for who has a commercial license will I still be able to tune with personal flashscan?

Dirk Diggler
April 8th, 2005, 04:47 AM
I will be all over the commercial version

Blacky
April 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Ah man I guess im SOL on the upgrading my O.S. If someone does the upgrade for who has a commercial license will I still be able to tune with personal flashscan?

Firstly, the upgrade to the Commercial version will only be USD $150.00 and can be done via an email upgrade code.
Secondly, if you get someone else with a Workshop or Commercial version to upgrade your PCM, then you will still be able to tune the EFILive custom parameters in the new OS with the Personal version.

Our policy is to make it easy for our customers to use our products not more difficult.

Regards
Paul

87gmc
April 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Firstly, the upgrade to the Commercial version will only be USD $150.00 and can be done via an email upgrade code.
Secondly, if you get someone else with a Workshop or Commercial version to upgrade your PCM, then you will still be able to tune the EFILive custom parameters in the new OS with the Personal version.

Our policy is to make it easy for our customers to use our products not more difficult.

Regards
Paul

As always paul you guys go the extra mile. What will be teh difference between commercial and personal version?

Dirk Diggler
April 9th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Full reflash capabilities

87gmc
April 9th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Full reflash capabilities

Ah so this is where i will be able to change the OS in the vehicle.

Too bad you cant change a 98 to a 99-2002 OS :twisted:

87gmc
May 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Question on the lean cruise. Will the current software activate my lean cruise on my 01? I see it there when I read the computer just didnt know if it could be activated.

wait4me
May 3rd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Adding data to those cells wont do anything. The lean cruise has to be enabled in the operating system for them to work. It is off in the the factory calibration and wont use those tables untill you upload one of ross's custom operating system enhancements. Then you can modify them and it will make a change. :)

Tydriver
May 3rd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Adding data to those cells wont do anything. The lean cruise has to be enabled in the operating system for them to work. It is off in the the factory calibration and wont use those tables untill you upload one of ross's custom operating system enhancements. Then you can modify them and it will make a change. :)

And dont we need the commercial version in order to do this as well ?

I am patiently awaiting the commercial version for this very reason... Would be terribly hard for wife to justify me selling Silverado that gets 23mpg when her Grand Cherokee gets 16mpg

wait4me
May 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Yes you would need to get the commercial version if you wanted to do it yourself. 150 Would pay for itself in just a few tanks of gas. Figure,at least 4 mpg on the highway better, that is 4 * 30 gallons, that is an extra 120 miles per tank... break that down if you get 20 mpg .. that is 6 gallons saved, at 2.40 a gallon, So you save over $14.00 a tank... That is pretty conservative too. I was getting 28 mpg on my 408 on the highway, And only 17 in the city. Hopefully i will have it back together soon so i can try this new version out.. Mine was just a hacked up operating system i made, Its nothing like Ross's Professional one :) So it should Be very nice. If any one wants the settings i use, i will post up all the tables to put in. They work very well. esp in trucks.

Tydriver
May 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Yes you would need to get the commercial version if you wanted to do it yourself. 150 Would pay for itself in just a few tanks of gas. Figure,at least 4 mpg on the highway better, that is 4 * 30 gallons, that is an extra 120 miles per tank... break that down if you get 20 mpg .. that is 6 gallons saved, at 2.40 a gallon, So you save over $14.00 a tank... That is pretty conservative too. I was getting 28 mpg on my 408 on the highway, And only 17 in the city. Hopefully i will have it back together soon so i can try this new version out.. Mine was just a hacked up operating system i made, Its nothing like Ross's Professional one :) So it should Be very nice. If any one wants the settings i use, i will post up all the tables to put in. They work very well. esp in trucks.

The commercial version isnt out yet tho is it ?? or did I miss something ?? I was under the impression that it was to be released soon.. I wouldnt mind picking it up if its already out..

wait4me
May 3rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
yah its out.. :) its in the store.. Just the operating systems havent been out to the public yet. That will be any time now.. Ross is working 60 hours a day and sometimes 72 hours a day trying to get everything done im sure... It will be soon, Maybe we need to be in the cloneing bussiness. Just think what 2 Ross and Pauls could do..... :shock:

Tydriver
May 3rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
yah its out.. :) its in the store.. Just the operating systems havent been out to the public yet. That will be any time now.. Ross is working 60 hours a day and sometimes 72 hours a day trying to get everything done im sure... It will be soon, Maybe we need to be in the cloneing bussiness. Just think what 2 Ross and Pauls could do..... :shock:

:shock: Well thanks for the update.. Guess I am clueless.. And yes.. Ross and Paul are both great.. They are wonderful to deal with.

Where about is Warsaw Indiana ? I'd like to check out your car sometime when its running. And possibly employ your services with my truck if it ever runs !

wait4me
May 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
lol, im only about 1 1/2 hours from you. You can come up any time. its just 2 roads from indy and you are here. im right on highway 30. Ill help you on your truck if you come up.. And ill even let you drive the car.. :) It was scary before, even without the 300 shot of nitrous. but now with the supercharger and smaller shot of nitrous, i dont know what its gunna do :) ... besides break things.. lol

XLR8NSS
May 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra half ton that I'm putting a 4L80E in. Anyway for me to convert over to a 2001 file so I can use the lean cruise option when the custom O.S.'s become available?

The trans calibration in my file is being changed to a 4L80E calibration. Will the custom O.S.'s support files that have been pieced together like the one I'll have?

All I do is highway driving pretty much so lean cruise is very appealling to me. :)

Thanks

John

wait4me
May 3rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
yes that wont be a problem,

emarkay
May 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Just a quick Q?

If LC is enabled on a stock car WITH cats, will the cat overtemp protection function be REQUIRED to be enabled to prevent possible interior fires?

An occasional red hot cat is seen occasionally, but what about one that hot for a few hundred miles' worth of driving???

Just curious as to if that has been investigated.

MRK

Blacky
May 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Just a quick Q?

If LC is enabled on a stock car WITH cats, will the cat overtemp protection function be REQUIRED to be enabled to prevent possible interior fires?

An occasional red hot cat is seen occasionally, but what about one that hot for a few hundred miles' worth of driving???

Just curious as to if that has been investigated.

MRK

AFAIK:
Lean Cruise does not equal *really* hot combustion.
Lean WOT does equal *really* hot combustion.
Lean Cruise is producing very little power (just enough to cruise) and therfor does not produce the engine/component damaging heat of being lean at full power.

Paul

daveb
May 4th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I have thought about configuring LC, does anyone have guidance as to how much to lean out? 3%, 5%?

Also any thoughts on the lean out rate and LC enable/disable speeds?

GMPX
May 4th, 2005, 01:25 AM
I have thought about configuring LC, does anyone have guidance as to how much to lean out? 3%, 5%?

Also any thoughts on the lean out rate and LC enable/disable speeds?

Dave,

It is very important you get your AFR's spot on at cruise loads before turing it on or you might unknowingly go too lean.
I know when I changed my cam the factory LC settings were way too lean.
You are best to aim for about 15.5:1 - 16.0:1 AFR's, maybe 16.5:1 tops.
Anywhere above that and the engine feels too lazy.

I set it so the speeds were about 70KMH and the off idle timer was quicker. Just look at a standard 2001+ Holden tune for the LC AFR Map.

Cheers,
Ross

daveb
May 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Cheers,

87gmc
May 9th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Ok for some of us without lean cruise (personal version of efilive) Would it hurt the motor to maybe set air-fuel ratio at 15.0 or so on a long trip. I just dont know if running a engine like that would have any benefit on mpg versus lean cruise. I understand lean cruise runs around 15.5 or but changine afr in parameter B3601would that help any or just hurt the engine more? I was even thinking of setting PE a little lower and raising PE afr a little higher. Im not going to be doing WOT runs or anything just strickly for highway trip. Let me know your opinions guys

87gmc
May 10th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Ok for some of us without lean cruise (personal version of efilive) Would it hurt the motor to maybe set air-fuel ratio at 15.0 or so on a long trip. I just dont know if running a engine like that would have any benefit on mpg versus lean cruise. I understand lean cruise runs around 15.5 or but changine afr in parameter B3601would that help any or just hurt the engine more? I was even thinking of setting PE a little lower and raising PE afr a little higher. Im not going to be doing WOT runs or anything just strickly for highway trip. Let me know your opinions guys

anyone?