PDA

View Full Version : please help tuning and scanning

programer
June 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hello all

I have read most off the tuning posts and now i am confussed to what pids to scan and log to make changes to a stock holden ve ss tune for a cai and cat back exhaust. the car runs ok but gives the occasional lean error code and car feels like its going to stall just before the error code. Most of the confusion has come from which method to tune ie swingtans method or one of the other methods described in tutorials.

it is an e38 pcm and info or direction to which method of tuning would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Andrew

joecar
June 19th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hi Andrew,

First, in the scantool, goto the OBD tab, and see if you can read the error code(s).

programer
June 19th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Joe

the error codes are PO171 AND PO174 with a explanation of system too lean bank 1 and 2 i have installed a ramjet otr and has not had any tune but stock ss

Thanks in advanced
Andrew

joecar
June 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Try logging these pids:

RPM
MAP
MAF (if you have a MAF)
TP (if DBW then there's other pids instead of this)
IAT
ECT
HO2S11
HO2S21
LONGFT1
LONGFT2
SPARKADV
KR
EQIVRATIO
DYNCYLAIR

programer
June 20th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks Joe

I also have a wide band o2 sensor installed but having troubles getting it to communicate via serial it os a tech edge 2j9 i will do a scan of those pids tommorow and see if i can make the car fault and post the log

Regards
Andrew

joecar
June 20th, 2012, 03:12 AM
You need a serial comms null modem adapter, or you need to rewire the serial cable to crossover Rx/Tx.

The serial comms pids are WO2LAM1, WO2EQR1, WO2AFR1, WO2ST1.

programer
June 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Joe

Yes i am running maf with the filter on the maf removed i will be logging latter tis arvo i have the lattest efi live software and firware. some of the pids that you have mentioned i have picked from the all pids list also are we able to create our own pids i know these are silly questions that you may have heard before but please be patient as i am a quick learner.

Regards
Andrew

joecar
June 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hi Andrew,

No worries.

For E38 some of the pids have a different name.

Also note the following:
- is your V8 software at build 201...?
- did you flash firmware 2.07.34 into your V2...?
- did you re-program the BBx config (do this after a firmware flash and after editing the pidlists/ecmlists)...?

( use "Program-All" to program the BBx config, see the down arrow next to the Program button )

programer
June 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Joe

Well after yourlast post no the software and firmware are not up todate but have done so now the logging i have been trying to do is with a laptop driving the streets and on the highway and the pid list is still not right and still cant get the wideband to work the serial cable comefrom the guess i will haveto try analog tommorow. I have had a quick look at what i have logged will post a little latter as i was idleing for a while i had a phone call before taking off.

Thanks in advanced
Andrew

joecar
June 21st, 2012, 03:48 AM
Andrew,

which wideband do you have...?

for example (LC-1) look at post #3 here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9340-serial-port-cable-that-goes-to-v2

the null modem Rx/Tx swap applies to all widebands that have serial output

(i.e. if the wideband can be read from a laptop/PC using the wideband's application software, then the null modem adapter is required for V2 to read the wideband )

the null modem adapter (it has to say "null modem" on it) is not a gender-bender, it swaps Rx and Tx

programer
June 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hi Joe

Got the wideband working the suplied leed was wrong i have put all the pids or the ones closest to your list and have done some logging. Isnt the way since i have been logging the fault has not accured so i will keep logging and keep you posted. Also the kr pid does not give info but there is no cross through it to say it is not a correct pid i will post one of the logs as soon as i work out why my browser wont let me attach a file.

Also how far do you think i should drive for in km for a log as the files seem to be getting very big 2mb +

Regards
Andrew

joecar
June 22nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Try KNKRET instead of KR.

Drive say 15-20 mins.

See post #2 here (starting from point 5): Hosting-an-Image (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3064-Hosting-an-Image)

programer
June 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Joe

Sorry it has taken so long and getting back i have a log file now that has an fautl come up and have modified the dashboard to include some of the wo2 measurements my problem is i am looking for the part in the log that the eror accured. I have also looked up dtc in the file and it has reported back that there are none. What am i doing wrong ? what am i missing.

I understand the instructions to cut and past the log at error point but going through the log to find the particular instance seems to elude me can you suggest a method or can i forward the file to you. Any suggestions as i realise i am going through a steep learning curve.

Regards
Andrew

Gelf VXR
June 24th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Hi Joe

Yes i am running maf with the filter on the maf removed

Do you mean you have de screened the MAF?

joecar
June 25th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Andew,

send your email addr to me by pm.

what fault has showed up...?

In the scantool options there is an option to include DTC's in the log file.

programer
June 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Do you mean you have de screened the MAF?

Hi Gelf VXR yes i have descreened the MAF

Regards
Andrew

programer
June 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Gday Joe

I wasnt aware of that option to include dtc while scanning i will look it up apply the changes and log again..... The Actual log file that faulted with the to lean bank 1 and 2 is just over 6000 framesi have been looking at it to try and work out where the fault is but i think i am missing something. I will pm my email.

Regards
Andrew

Gelf VXR
June 25th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hi Gelf VXR yes i have descreened the MAF

Regards
Andrew

Hi Andrew, another Andrew here.

Did you descreen the MAF before the CAI and headers or at the same time?

I only mention it because I have been reading up on other people experience as im intersted in fitting myself the LS7 slot MAF which has no screen, they had to fit one to smooth out the eratic reading from the MAF.

programer
June 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Andrew

The exhaust was done first and no problems it is when i did the over the radiator cold air intake the instructions said to remove the screen in the maf and i have problems ever since. I do know the car needed a tune before that for optimal performance which i want to try and do but since the mods and the error coming up it is confusing to witch type of tuning method i use.

I have done some logging but still trying to work out witch pids etc to log so i may cut and past maf fuel tables etc to tune the motor.

Regards
Andrew

Gelf VXR
June 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I have OTRCAI, with MAF at the TB and screen is in place.

To be certain I would log SAE.MAF with the screen left out and again with the screen put back in, if you can that is?

If the log without screen is showing eratic wide variations as opposed to with the screen fitted. That might be your problem.

joecar
June 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
+1 the MAF screen straightens the airflow so the MAF sensor has a good chance of reading it correctly.

programer
June 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hi All

Joe here is pics of the intake from otrcai to the motor hope this helps.....i have removed the screen but damaged it on removal. With the long term trims so high i think it does need a tune anyway

programer
June 27th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hi Joe

I did as you suggested about verifying the pids list only problem is i get the message the flashscan/autocal interface is not compatable with this version of efi software please ugrade ver 8 software and update bottblock etc. As i have already done this and am current in boot block and version 8 software as u sugested i cannot understand what is going wrong.

Regards
Andrew

joecar
June 28th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Andrew,

Install V7 build 211 and V8 build 203 from here: software download (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133)

then flash firmware 2.7.35 into V2;

then program the BBx Config into V2 (first do Read from V2, then Save to file, Options.txt, then use Program-All)... this last step is important (and will eliminate the error you see).

programer
June 28th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Thks joe

Fixed that problem , so do you think i need to replace maf so i can get the filter in it and redo logs to see if its any better or can it be fixed up with a proper tune.

Regards
Andrew

joecar
June 28th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Have a look at this: http://www.saxonpc.com/airflow-products.html

Gelf VXR
June 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Have a look at this: http://www.saxonpc.com/airflow-products.html

+1, this is what people are using with the LS7 card slot MAF

programer
July 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hi All

I have intalled the filter and unfortunatley has made no difference i still get the error... I have been reading the tutorial for ve tuning again (trying to get my head around ve tunning. Is there a list of what the program parameters to what numbers in efi live the represent as from the explanation in the tutorial to what is supposed to be adjusted do not match.

Regards
Andrew

Gelf VXR
July 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hi All

I have intalled the filter and unfortunatley has made no difference i still get the error... I have been reading the tutorial for ve tuning again (trying to get my head around ve tunning. Is there a list of what the program parameters to what numbers in efi live the represent as from the explanation in the tutorial to what is supposed to be adjusted do not match.

Regards
Andrew

Did you log your SAE.MAF with and without the screen fitted, you want to be able to look at before and after logs to determine whether or not its required.

Can you post the logs?