PDA

View Full Version : e38. ls3 in 56 bel air. i'm going insane over this throttle problem.

rpmspeed
June 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Car is 56 bel air with a ls3. and 4 speed automatic. car runs fine, just WOT sucks. When I went to do first pull throttle wouldn't go above less than half when I had it to the floor untill around 5200 rpms. I've shut off all the limiters i could think of for tcs or torque limiting but still I can't get it to go wot off the bat. I'm going to post the tune and a log if someone could take a look at it for me i'd greatly appreciate it. I just can't put my finger around it and only 2nd e38 pcm i've messed with.

joecar
June 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
You ran out of injector according to IBPW1/2... are there other injector pids to try...?

joecar
June 26th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Also, wideband says you're too rich for NA;

spark advance seems like it could be a few degrees higher;

IAT is very hot.

rpmspeed
June 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
i'll try another log. i'm trying to lean it out but doens't seam to work.

rpmspeed
June 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Here's another log. I tried selecting some other pids to try and help

rpmspeed
June 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Also get a p1516 dtc for pedal position performance. The engine is all stock besides headers, exhaust, and intake with spectre filter. the iats are high could that be part of the problem? I don't know of a way to help that the fan for the radiator sits like right underneath it so im sure its picking up all that heat. I havn't messed with timing yet because would like to know why it won't go wot right away. I set the pe enrichment air fuel higher as well.

swingtan
June 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'd also look at the TCM tune. It looks very much like torque limiting, but the ECM tune looks OK. So I'd want to see the TCM tune to see if there is something in there. You also want to log the following ECM PIDs in addition to your WBO2.

E38.AFRATIO_DMA
E38.APCYL_DMA
E38.INVLVTMP_DMA
E38.OCTSCL_DMA
GM.ACTTRQ
GM.AIRPERSEC
GM.APP
GM.BRKR
GM.ENGOILP
GM.ETCTP
GM.INJPWB1
GM.INJPWB2
GM.KNKRET
GM.MAFFREQ2
GM.VOLTS
SAE.ECT
SAE.IAT
SAE.LONGFT1
SAE.LONGFT2
SAE.MAP
SAE.RPM
SAE.SHRTFT1
SAE.SHRTFT2
SAE.SPARKADV
SAE.VSS

Simon.

gmh308
June 27th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Car is 56 bel air with a ls3. and 4 speed automatic. car runs fine, just WOT sucks. When I went to do first pull throttle wouldn't go above less than half when I had it to the floor untill around 5200 rpms. I've shut off all the limiters i could think of for tcs or torque limiting but still I can't get it to go wot off the bat. I'm going to post the tune and a log if someone could take a look at it for me i'd greatly appreciate it. I just can't put my finger around it and only 2nd e38 pcm i've messed with.

Who built the tune up? Its non standard. It looks like a truck base calibration (per VIN) with C6 LS3 engine and diagnostic segment imported. That is at least the source of the P1516 due to truck/vette throttle controller mismatch and maybe the rev/power limiting as the trans type does not match the engine segment.

Whoever built it had good intent though :).

Taz
June 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Who built the tune up? Its non standard. It looks like a truck base calibration (per VIN) with C6 LS3 engine and diagnostic segment imported. That is at least the source of the P1516 due to truck/vette throttle controller mismatch and maybe the rev/power limiting as the trans type does not match the engine segment.

Whoever built it had good intent though :).

Sharp eye as always Ian.

The tune that was posted in this thread is actually one that vette5797 (Gary) posted on this Forum a couple of years ago - LS3 & 4L60 (no ISS) running an LY5 Tahoe based calibration. Both you and I helped Gary with suggestions to get it going.

Regards,
Taz

rpmspeed
June 27th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Car was built from carknock? out of karl chevrolet in ankeny, iowa. I don't know where the tune came from before or anything i'm just trying to make it run right. I'll send trans tune here in a bit on my lunch break. Customer also has a apache witht he exact same set up so im going to pull the tune off that and match them up to see where the difference is because the apache doesn't have any problems. Any other suggestions on what I need to do or look for or test? Or how to tune the etc to match

Taz
June 27th, 2012, 04:42 AM
That exact E38 ECM tune - right down to the VIN and segment numbers - was posted on this Forum a number of years ago by member vette5797. He had an LS3 and 4L60 transplanted into a 1962 Corvette.

Either use a truck tune and a truck APP (gas pedal), or a Corvette tune and a Corvette APP - mixing and matching may cause endless headaches. The Corvette tune won't place nice with the 4L60.

Personally, with the 4L60, I would use a truck tune and matching APP - just my opinion - I have only done a handful of Gen IV conversions so far. Most people seem to want a 6 speed (M6 or A6) with an LS3 / LS7 - few ask about using the A4.

Regards,
Taz

rpmspeed
June 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
13439I reflashed the pcm with calibration for that vin tis2web sps. so it has 5.3 everything in it now like stock from factory. Car won't start I know that. What are some good pointers to getting it tuned right and running with the truck tune in it. Heres the tune in it now. Stock reflash

gmh308
June 29th, 2012, 01:44 AM
13439I reflashed the pcm with calibration for that vin tis2web sps. so it has 5.3 everything in it now like stock from factory. Car won't start I know that. What are some good pointers to getting it tuned right and running with the truck tune in it. Heres the tune in it now. Stock reflash

Did you disable VATS via VATS patch apply? If thats done then the injector flow data needs to be copied over for the LS3, MAF curve if different - copied, MAP sensor changed - and preferably all the airflow data copied over.

rpmspeed
July 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
ok got a truck throttle body and truck pedal thought all was going to be well on the street would go wide open first couple pulls on dyno would go wideopen. now its back to going part throttle and full throttle and part throttle here is the tune and trans tune and a log if anyone wants to check it out.

rpmspeed
July 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I think the problem may be in the trans tune. when I open up the t42 on the scan program and go to the PID section for transmission only a few unimportent ones are there all other ones are X'd. I try and enable and can't seem to find the right combo to open any of them up..