PDA

View Full Version : WOT A/F Tuning

minytrker
February 19th, 2006, 01:22 AM
When adjusting my wot a/f whats the leanest I can go before hurting the motor? If I adjusted my tune and did a dyno run or a 4th gear run down the road and my a/f hit like 14 at wot one time would it hurt anything. My biggest fear is blowing my motor or something like that because I made a rookie mistake during the tuning process. So far I am just making really small changes and then driving the car and data logging to see how it effected everything.

ringram
February 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM
I think it will depend on the load and heat of the engine, intake temp and a heap of other stuff.
As long as you arnt detonating or lean missfiring etc you should be ok. But bear in mind max power and torque are usually found somewhere between 13:1 and 12:1 AFR so going leaner is pretty pointless.

BowlingSS
February 19th, 2006, 05:26 AM
I think it will depend on the load and heat of the engine, intake temp and a heap of other stuff.
As long as you arnt detonating or lean missfiring etc you should be ok. But bear in mind max power and torque are usually found somewhere between 13:1 and 12:1 AFR so going leaner is pretty pointless.

I agree...:exactly:

joecar
February 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
You want the margin of safety, so I agree too.:exactly::exactly:

minytrker
February 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks, I wasn't planning on going that lean but was just worried if I made some adjustments and did a run and it was that lean I didnt want to blow my motor.

joecar
February 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
If you hear knocking, then it's significant, and you'll know to backoff, and retune.

Then, if it keeps knowking, you can also log KR, RPM and CYLAIR and use the Scan/Tune cursor linking to see what the Spark tables are doing,
and maybe use the map/histogram to subtract out some timing.

No worries.
:cheers:

minytrker
February 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM
:coool: :thankyou2:
Looks like a little driving to go do if the weather is good.