PDA

View Full Version : MM3 or pulse width?

jlb350
July 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi, everyone this is my first post on the forum. I have been using efi live with great success on slightly modded trucks but, my brother has an '07 5.9 that has an E.D. s471,II 400nozzles, and hamilton cam. My question is what is the preferred way to help control smoke when trying to get this thing under control? Which one should be the main focus pulse width or mm3? Any ideas would be very helpful! Thanks in advance.

2007 5.9
July 19th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Timing is just as critical as uS!!!

Id start with a stock uS table then dial it down from there...but you need to change pilot quantity, timing, main timing, and pressure all in order to get the smoke under control.

Gonna take a bit of work to dial it in...but very possible.

jlb350
July 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks Les, thats just the kind of answer i was looking for! I have been driving myself nuts kicking it around. Thanks again!

dodgeram5-92500
August 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I am new and just received my v2 the other day, I have been scouring the forum looking for help as to where to start the tuning process. I too have larger injector nozzles and would like to reduce the smoke. As for the answer above, how much do you "dial it down" for each parameter, and do you do all of them at the same time (for this issue)? I would like to get "smoke free" first and then try to make a good overall tune. I tow a 7000lb trailer almost daily and it gets as heavy as 17000lb to 19000lb's quite often

I have done the following mods:
aurora 3000 turbo, intake, 5" exhaust, high exhaust flow cam, 100hp tips, I have a suncoast extreme duty rebuild and a bd flex plate, along with a transgo shift kit. I also have propane injection and water meth, but I don't use the propane when towing all the time.

WisconsinHick1
August 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I am new and just received my v2 the other day, I have been scouring the forum looking for help as to where to start the tuning process. I too have larger injector nozzles and would like to reduce the smoke. As for the answer above, how much do you "dial it down" for each parameter, and do you do all of them at the same time (for this issue)? I would like to get "smoke free" first and then try to make a good overall tune. I tow a 7000lb trailer almost daily and it gets as heavy as 17000lb to 19000lb's quite often

I have done the following mods:
aurora 3000 turbo, intake, 5" exhaust, high exhaust flow cam, 100hp tips, I have a suncoast extreme duty rebuild and a bd flex plate, along with a transgo shift kit. I also have propane injection and water meth, but I don't use the propane when towing all the time.

There is no set number to reduce each parameter by it is all about logging and adjusting and logging and adjusting some more. You can start making small adjustments on the tables that 2007 5.9 stated above you may have to adjust one table at a time to understand what each one does.

dodgeram5-92500
August 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks, I'm still prepping and haven't hooked this thing up to the truck. I'm dying to get started but I'm almost scared to hook it to the truck and do something wrong. Has anyone posted a step by step to data log yet, like from the very start? I've read so many threads and I'm copying them to a note sheet so I can refer back to them but I can't remember if I read anything like that before I started my notes. Like do I have to have the laptop connected the whole time I'm data logging or can I unhook it once I've told it what to do? I would like to data log long enough to get an unloaded (no trailer) log and then on the same log get some trailer time in. That way I could see on the same log the difference between the two is so I can find that happy medium. Any thoughts?