PDA

View Full Version : Flash Failure, No start

mcwarren
February 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
While flashing my PCM today I noticed it was taking longer than usual and sure enough I received an error message indicating that the flash had failed. I attempted to start my truck and it would not crank. I then attempted to communicate with the PCM and received an error message indicating an unknown file but reprogramming can continue. I attempted a second reprogram and everything went fine. Thanks EFILive! My EFILive FlashScan performed exactly as advertised by recovering a PCM that had failed a programming write. Among all of the well published features of EFI Live FlashScan, the ability to recover a PCM from a write failure ranks near the top from my outlook.

Sorry, NB, wrong section, should be in Gas, maybe a moderator can move this for me. Thanks!

Wasted Income
February 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
:coool: ...

Tordne
February 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM
EFILive rocks alright!!! I had a failure during a full reflash once (after the critical portion fortunately) and it recoved no problems :banana: :banana: :banana:

lakingslayer
February 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM
That's nice to know but it sure is not something I want to experience.

Tordne
February 19th, 2006, 07:16 PM
That's nice to know but it sure is not something I want to experience.

I'll definately say it was character building, and lots of sweating :)

joecar
February 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'll definately say it was character building, and lots of sweating :)
Especially if it occurs during flashing prior to driving off to work for the day...
Glad it worked out for you.
:cheers:

Black02SS
February 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Or on a customers car that the battery decides to die on you. :(

Blacky
February 20th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Chad
I am finally letting it go. Thanks Donna. ;)

Donna explained it to me - I just had a good laugh. :)

Paul

Black02SS
February 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Donna explained it to me - I just had a good laugh. :)

Paul I was wondering when someone would catch it. Glad you got a kick out of it, now get some rest. You guys have been hard at it this week and deserve it. Man, I can't wait to see some reactions....

PS - Tell her that my guess was right. Even though I didn't tell her what it was I know I am right now. ;)

Blacky
February 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM
While flashing my PCM today I noticed it was taking longer than usual and sure enough I received an error message indicating that the flash had failed. I attempted to start my truck and it would not crank. I then attempted to communicate with the PCM and received an error message indicating an unknown file but reprogramming can continue. I attempted a second reprogram and everything went fine. Thanks EFILive! My EFILive FlashScan performed exactly as advertised by recovering a PCM that had failed a programming write. Among all of the well published features of EFI Live FlashScan, the ability to recover a PCM from a write failure ranks near the top from my outlook.

Sorry, NB, wrong section, should be in Gas, maybe a moderator can move this for me. Thanks!
I saw the title of your post and expected to spend some serious time helping you recover the PCM. Glad the support on this one was so simple.
:notacrook:
Paul

TAQuickness
February 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM
To date, I haven't had a write fail... So being the hard head I am, I yanked my cable during a write. Sure enough, the pcm was dead. 45 seconds later, the bird was running again. Very cool feature indeed!

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Paul,

It looks like your well thought out code has taken care of itself.
Bad code always comes back to bite, whereas good code does it's job.

Good work, mate.

Cheers
Joe

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 04:43 AM
To date, I haven't had a write fail... So being the hard head I am, I yanked my cable during a write. Sure enough, the pcm was dead. 45 seconds later, the bird was running again. Very cool feature indeed!
TAQuickness,
It takes bravery to trust software, but you can trust this software, as proven.
I wonder what reactions this would get on the 'EFILive' thread on LS1Tech...?
Cheers
Joe

TAQuickness
February 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM
It was definately a leap of faith on my part, but no guts, no glory...

BTW Joe, what does "while (*p != NULL) p = &(*p)->next; " do?

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM
In C, this is a loop that walks down a linked list, and when it gets to the end of the list, the pointer-pointer p is left containing the address of the 'next' link field of the last item in the list;

this allows a new item to be appended to the end of the list without having to use an extra pointer ('next' is being used as the extra pointer);

so, to append the new item, add the following line after the above loop: *p = item;

p is a pointer to a pointer to a item;
*p is a pointer to the next item (i.e. p is dereferenced once);
*p != NULL is true until the end of list is encountered (i.e. when 'next' is NULL);
(*p)->next is accessing the 'next' link in the item pointed to by *p;
p = &(*p)->next assigns the address of the 'next' link to p (i.e. so that *p now points to the next item in the list).

This is a clever but obscure way to write linked list code.

I don't know how much C you know...
if you need further clarification please let me know.

All textbooks I've seen use 2 pointers to walk the list to append an item at the end;
this method uses only 1 pointer.

i.e. textbooks show this (it's easy to read, but it's extra steps and uses 1 extra variable, q):

while (p != NULL)
{
q = p;
p = p->next;
}
// Now q points to last item...
q->next = item;

compare this with:

while (*p != NULL) p = &(*p)->next;
*p = item;

Edit: this 'clever/obscure' way also does the right thing if the list starts out being empty.

(My editor colour codes C keywords and symbols to allow me to see if I messed up at a glance).

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 07:28 AM
"No guts, no glory" :notacrook:

I like that...:cheers:

ringram
February 20th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Remind me not to talk to you at the pub joecar

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Remind me not to talk to you at the pub joecar
Don't worry, mate, at the pub we drink beer and play pool.

jfpilla
February 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM
To date, I haven't had a write fail... So being the hard head I am, I yanked my cable during a write. Sure enough, the pcm was dead. 45 seconds later, the bird was running again. Very cool feature indeed!:beer:

You were drinking or incredibly trusting. Nice going.:banana:

TAQuickness
February 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM
:beer:

You were drinking or incredibly trusting. Nice going.:banana:

Actually, it was an idle tooning day...

TAQuickness
February 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Don't worry, mate, at the pub we drink beer and play pool.

With a fancy C script ;)

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
With a fancy C script ;)
Either way, beer is good regardless. :cheers:

BowlingSS
February 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
:coool:
I do not think I could ever do this. At least not on my PCM...

Bill

Tordne
February 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I did it accidently once when I knocked uot the USB connection out of the laptop during a flash process. But, you guessed it NO PROBLEM to be seen here ;)

Blacky
February 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM

:cheers: Now that is the definition of trust.

Got airbags? Do they work? Wanna test them?

Paul

TAQuickness
February 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
:cheers: Now that is the definition of trust.

Got airbags? Do they work? Wanna test them?

Paul

Now there's an idea.... :cheers:

joecar
February 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Now there's an idea.... :cheers:
Wait... you realize that the airbags are not flashed by the EFILive software...:notacrook: