PDA

View Full Version : New to Custom OS's

QWKWS6
February 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
So when I convert to EFI, I'll be looking at adding one of the custom OS's offered. If I undertand this correctly, you have to completely overright the PCM? When you do this is there anything that needs to be done to the car when doing a complete re-flash?

MN C5
February 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
So when I convert to EFI, I'll be looking at adding one of the custom OS's offered. If I undertand this correctly, you have to completely overright the PCM? When you do this is there anything that needs to be done to the car when doing a complete re-flash?

It's super simple,

1st you do FLASH (Program PCM Operating System and calibrations) This takes 3 minutes or so...

2nd you need to FLASH (Program PCM calibrations)

3rd Read the PCM calibrations

4th Tweak it according to the custom OS tutorial

5th Reflash just (PCM calibrations) and your good to go:banana:

As far as doing something to the car? If you want a Valet yes... Otherwise I just make sure the Radio and Heat/AC system and Fan are off before I flash the PCM

QWKWS6
February 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I didn't know if you had to do a case relearn? or not. I've just done basic tweaks, A/F, Spark, VE, Rev-limiters, etc. The basics. So while I look forward to adding a custom OS, I worry too. Thanks for the info.

Tordne
February 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Case relearn data is preserved. There s nothing to worry about going to custom OS, I've done it more times than I'll admit to ;)

BowlingSS
February 20th, 2006, 06:07 AM
You can always go back to the GM OS by reflashing your old OS. :exactly: Just make sure you save your old tune.

Bill

FstBlkZ28
March 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
rather than starting a new thread on this. can someone clarify:

Do you need EFILive professional to upgrade a PCM's OS to the custom OS, or can personal do it as well? This would be on an '01 PCM.

Tordne
March 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM
rather than starting a new thread on this. can someone clarify:

Do you need EFILive professional to upgrade a PCM's OS to the custom OS, or can personal do it as well? This would be on an '01 PCM.

To perform a full reflash, which is required to change the operating system portion of the PCM you require EFILive FlashScan Commercial or Workshop. Personal version can only flash the calibration data section of the PCM.

Cheers,

FstBlkZ28
March 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Alright thanks, thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything lol.

Tordne
March 1st, 2006, 08:04 PM
Alright thanks, thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything lol.

Us EFILivers never miss out on much ;)

FstBlkZ28
March 2nd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Us EFILivers never miss out on much ;)

True, I'm just dying to get my wideband installed so I can start playing with more things:muahaha:

88s10
March 2nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
can you get a custom os for a 98 pcm?

BowlingSS
March 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
can you get a custom os for a 98 pcm?
I think you have to be a 2001 or 2002 OS first.

Bill
:cheers:

bK
March 3rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
True, I'm just dying to get my wideband installed so I can start playing with more things:muahaha:
I'm in the same boat, order the wideband weeks ago, just found out the other day the order was lost, I just about died! :bash:

sparkwirez06
March 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
If somebody could clear this up? I have a 2000 pcm. i would like to install the custom os, the car is to be tubocharged. so i would like to be able to run a sd tune,do i need a new map sensor? can i use my present computer or do i need a 01-up? excuse my ignorance,but this is a lot of new info for me. i just purchased a efi flashscan commercial and an lc1 wbo2. THANKS p.s. if i new the hand held would be out shortly i wouln't have spent $650 on this new laptop!!

Tordne
March 7th, 2006, 03:06 PM
If somebody could clear this up? I have a 2000 pcm. i would like to install the custom os, the car is to be tubocharged. so i would like to be able to run a sd tune,do i need a new map sensor? can i use my present computer or do i need a 01-up? excuse my ignorance,but this is a lot of new info for me. i just purchased a efi flashscan commercial and an lc1 wbo2. THANKS p.s. if i new the hand held would be out shortly i wouln't have spent $650 on this new laptop!!

Your current 2000 PCM is fine. All you will do is flash in probably an 01 or 02 V3 Custom OS.

As far as MAP sensor... If you are planning on running FI then you will need to get a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor to measure accurately up to the 285 kPa mark. Part numbers are included in another post on this forum somewhere :)

Cheers,

sparkwirez06
March 7th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Hey, THANKS, I just found them over in forced induction!!

agreif
April 6th, 2006, 05:03 AM
If somebody could clear this up? i would like to install the custom os....so i would like to be able to run a sd tune,do i need a new map sensor?

I'm having the same understanding problem, even with the explanation. I've looked in the OS section, but don't completely understand what it allows you to do above and beyond the regular tuning. Here is what I want to do to get the best tune(based on what I read):
Run in open loop
run an SD tune
possibly run a dual spark map.

Paul was telling me the custom OS from EFI restores adaptive spark. I guess my question is, what changes between a custom OS and the factory OS if I want to tune with the factors above?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get my bearings here.

Andrew

Just as a little clarification here I have a 01 4.8L that I'm putting a cam and exhaust on. No boost in my future so I don't need the 2-3 bar map.