PDA

View Full Version : tuning e38 help

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 02:55 AM
first time e38 tune transplanted 2008 van motor into 69 camaro motor mods are 220 /230 cam fast intake runs terrible on truck program .following tuning program
and im all set up and ready to tune used e38 base map and copied .
two questions one: does someone have a closer tune for me to start from and secondly when im logging on my map numbers are only 2 digit ve and dont match the b8101 table need clarification on that step or am i using wrong map

Taz
July 31st, 2012, 05:50 AM
first time e38 tune transplanted 2008 van motor into 69 camaro motor mods are 220 /230 cam fast intake runs terrible on truck program .following tuning program and im all set up and ready to tune used e38 base map and copied .

Is the engine a 4.8L, 5.3L, or 6.0L ?

Are you using a truck TB and APP (gas pedal) ?

What is the lobe separation angle of the 220 / 230 camshaft ?

... two questions one: does someone have a closer tune for me to start from and secondly when im logging on my map numbers are only 2 digit ve and dont match the b8101 table need clarification on that step or am i using wrong map ...

B8101 is the VVE table for a NA (Naturally Aspirated) engine. It is a 4 digit mathematical representation of the engine's VE.

Refer to the Virtual VE Tutorial by Swingtan for step by step instructions on how the tune the VVE and MAF of an E38 / E67 controlled engine.

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 06:19 AM
Is the engine a 4.8L, 5.3L, or 6.0L ?

Are you using a truck TB and APP (gas pedal) ?

What is the lobe separation angle of the 220 / 230 camshaft ?

B8101 is the VVE table for a NA (Naturally Aspirated) engine. It is a 4 digit mathematical representation of the engine's VE.

Refer to the Virtual VE Tutorial by Swingtan for step by step instructions on how the tune the VVE and MAF of an E38 / E67 controlled engine.

Camshaft is comp ls1 xr273 hr12 220/224 lobe cl 112 lift 530 /535
Truck air valve by wire fast intake no vvt
Been following swing tans close but still runs terrible trying to get low end
Running to be able to drive its either 25/1 or 10.5/1 no in between
Thanks

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 06:50 AM
Forgot its a 6.0

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 07:46 AM
Problem may be simpler load tables motor runs and sounds good
Air ratio 12.5/1 temp 92c. Let sit for 2min won't run starts flares
And seems to shut fuel off and quits seems very lean once I made it
Passed and cleared up and ran again any ideas. after start?

Taz
July 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM
You are using a truck TB, what APP are you using ?

Post your ECM and TCM (if applicable) tunes. Post the stock tunes you are using as a base if you want - sounds like the changes you made thus far have not been effective.

Regards,
Taz

swingtan
July 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM
Post the tune you are using now and if possible a log showing any issues you have.

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM
this tune is set with Virtual VE Tutorial by Swingtan running lm1 serial wbo had to add 20% more fuel to get running and could then drive. idle 12.2/1, part throttle driving 12.3 to 13.5, 3/4 throttle leans to 14.5 this is the stock truck tune and only drove about 3 k but was generaly smooth. app is the truck original. no log yet as just barly was running.now main problem is run motor fires up rev up to test and runs ok sounds good moderatly smooth idle at 800 rpm.shut off motor and let it sit for one minute hot soak and wont start trys but quits leave for 20 minutes starts rough rev to clean up and then smooths out again. seems very lean on hot start was able to start once after hot soak by pumping pedal but maybe lucky

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
also yes truck tb and original doner was a 2008 chev van with 4l80

swingtan
July 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Looks like a couple of things could do with some adjustments, but really need the log showing the issues.

mellor
July 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Looks like a couple of things could do with some adjustments, but really need the log showing the issues.

been reading and comparing learned that it also has new electronic throttle pedal from a corvette it also set a p0068 petal correlation code
downloaded a camaro 2010 and a2009 corvette tune and see a huge diff in b2804 the corvette and camaro are the same can this cause this problems and should i copy camaros over

thanks

mellor
August 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
turns out it was a part failing map sensor seemed to act up after hot soak let it cool down for 15 min and would work again untill the motor was shut of and tried to restart
thanks for your help

mellor
August 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM
well i was wrong still no good but had to sort out other problems it seems that painless wiring will only work will 2006/7 comp and has to have the right trans module to com.i had a speed of 255 k at idle.
found the right service # and installed reflased it to a 6 liter program as it was a 5.3 truck. initial setup to run and was lean +24% LT
FUEL but ran with a tip in hesitation and with a rolling idle.
followed swingtans e38 tut and started it up ran good till about 180 deg tried to restart and wont flashes up flares and shut down can keep running for a few secs by pumping throttle the wide band says its 24 to 1 runs with maff connected
motor is 6.0 liter 224 by 235 at 10 deg fast manifold originally out of a van
can you guys look at tune and see what im missing i believe i doing the same thing wrong. thanks

400ss
August 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
the corvettes and trucks pedal have diferents pinouts.. you need to check that

swingtan
August 8th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again..... A log of the issue would really help out.

Other than that,

The VVE has a HUGE step in it, that's not going to help.
The VVE looks to be very rich around idle.
Idle speed (after start) control is all over the place.
Idle control (max adjustment) is way too low.
Min idle airflow is probably too low.

If you don;t post any log data, it's all going to be guesswork.

Simon.

mellor
August 9th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again..... A log of the issue would really help out.

Other than that,

The VVE has a HUGE step in it, that's not going to help.
The VVE looks to be very rich around idle.
Idle speed (after start) control is all over the place.
Idle control (max adjustment) is way too low.
Min idle airflow is probably too low.

If you don;t post any log data, it's all going to be guesswork.

Simon.

sorry about no log but could not keep running long enough.have a 3 mil hole in throttle plate was running good with other comp 2009 on maff had to go back for tranny mod to talk with painless and now have an 06 comp

doesnt matter what i do to b8101 it stays at 20 to 1 fa and higher.. what i see is it still sees 18 g maff ? .. i dont know how to correct so i can adjust yellow wire is cut