PDA

View Full Version : Just swapped a 350 Vortec into my 2000 Blazer and am having trouble getting it to run

zq8blazer
August 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM
When I did my 350 vortec with a lt4 hotcam engine swap I went ahead and swapped to a 411 PCM. On initial startup it wil idle down to 200rpms and almost die (sometimes it does die) and then go up to 700rpms and idle somewhat like it should. It's a straight shift and doesn't have anywhere near the power it should. When I shift into third and give it gas the Rpms go up high, but it doesn't actually seem to have power until the Rpms drop. I've checked pretty much every sensor on the engine, the wiring, replaced spider injectors, and have had a crank relearn and camshaft retard set. The guy that did the relearn said the PCM's temp was reading around -40*. The gauges read correct and when I hook my iPhone up to the port it reads correct. Also I have one two wire temp sensor. Most of the sensors on the 350 are off my 4.3, I've cross referenced them and they're the same part #'s. I have a 5.7 MAF ordered since theyre slightly larger, i know a guy that ran his 4.3 and it caused it to run somewhat worse but he didnt experience anywhere near the problems i am. My phone says im getting around 21mpg and is throwing a p0172 and p0175(rich in both banks) and sometimes a p0300(random misfire)

what could it be?

joecar
August 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
IAT and/or ECT showing large negative temperature indicates a broken wire;

when PCM see either temperature go that low it adds a huge amount of fuel during startup.

zq8blazer
August 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
So you're saying I need to check IAT or ECT sensor wiring? I've confirmed that the ECT is working and the PCM is sending 5v to the yellow wire and ground to the black.

Also when I unplug the knock sensor nothing changes and when I remove it from the engine, plug it in, and wrap a towel around it nothing changes. I've read the 411's have a different knock sensor than the black box, I'm using a 5.7 black box knock sensor. Does this matter at all?

slows10
August 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Post a log, using the efilive scan tool and also a tune file showing the ect and iat sensors. Alot easier to help see whats going on. Also log 24 total channels.

zq8blazer
August 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately I don't have efilive. I joined because I seen that you guys are knowledgeable about the problems I'm experiencing.

The iPhone app I have can do data logging. I've never done it before though so I'll need to know what all PID's I need to tell the app to log. Sorry I'm a noob to this so I don't even know if this is what you're looking for.

Taz
August 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM
... Unfortunately I don't have efilive ...

What tuning software are you using ?

Regards,
Taz

zq8blazer
August 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM
I had wait4me do the tuning. I sent them everything done to my engine and had them tune a 411 for me.

Taz
August 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well, you are at a bit of crossroads in your project. Either purchase tuning software, and learn how to tune the PCM yourself, or take the vehicle to a professional tuner.

Guessing very few Forum members are familiar with the I-Phone app you are using as a scanner - and frankly, this is not the Forum where you should be seeking support for this scanner.

This website in not a DIY project site - it is dedicated to EFILive users assisting EFILive users with tuning related issues.

Regards,
Taz

zq8blazer
August 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
I wasn't asking for help with the app, I was just asking for was PID's needed to be logged. I thought since people here know more about the PCM's than me and I've seen other questions not restricted to PCM tuning resolved I could get some help with my possible wiring issue. Guess not.

Taz
August 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Purchase the EFILive tuning package (V2 interface) and ask all the tuning questions you want on this Forum. Otherwise, consult one of the many of the DIY Forums on the internet.

Many of us who answer questions, and generally help out, run businesses that would otherwise sell much of the tuning information shared here with EFILive users. That's the price of admission here - being an EFILive software user, such that information sharing is bi-directional.

Regards,
Taz

Mikz86ta
August 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM
U may want to try the other Knock Sensor. But u need to figure out whats going on with your coolant info to the PCM as Joe stated

slows10
August 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
You need to change the knock sensor frequency in the tune. Have you logged the knock sensor with your cell phone or whatever you call it? Did you buy the pcm already setup for this swap? What did the pcm actually come from? If you have no way to tune this pcm, it has to be sent to somebody who does tune them.

jgmend100
December 20th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Mr. Taz I am putting a 1996 vortec 454 with wiring harness in my 1994 full-size blazer with the 0411 pcm and I want to buy a EFILive tuning package, Would
the V2 interface work for me? If not what package would?

tokymon
December 21st, 2012, 05:27 AM
yes v2 would work for you , do a search on 411 and you should find all the info you need
most of us have done it on the small blocks i dont think there is a 454 program so you will have to start with a 350 calibration

jgmend100
December 21st, 2012, 06:47 AM
Ah Yes mr. Tokymon, That leads to the next question, When I buy the v2 one of the programs I buy is of the 01 express van and then one for the vin# of the 2500 sub?
or what program would fit my 1994 full-size blazer 1/2 ton (350 tbi-4L60E tran) swp to 96 votec 454/4L80e.

tokymon
December 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM
i know it has been done just do a search on here and on hp tuners i dont rember what forum i saw it on
you would use the express van tune ( check holden crazy) there might be one already for the 454

ScarabEpic22
December 21st, 2012, 02:45 PM
You'll need to use an Express Van tune, I cant remember what the big block guys do exactly though. Are you going to run EFIConnection's 24x conversion kit?

You dont actually buy the tune files. You are buying the ability to use the stock tune files which most people provide. Then you adjust them to get your desired results. Now if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, then you can pay a tuner to supply you with the correct OS/calibration for your project.

jgmend100
December 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM
I am not sure of the conversion kit, What I want to do is get the 454 running with a stock tune (1996 2500 Suburban) but changing the black box to 0411 for better tuning with Efilive.
The 454 has a reluctor wheel but I don't know if I have to change it in order to be able to use the 0411. Since it is going in a 94 blazer I want to be able to turn off the rear o2 sensers and rpm limits. I would like to do the tuning myself I am just waiting for Tax Refund in order to buy the V2 and extra tunes. They told me that this forum is great for ELive help. And they were Right! Thanks SE22!

ScarabEpic22
December 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Ah I see, its not quite that simple to use a 454 with an 0411. Check out www.eficonnection.com and look at their 24x conversion kit, thats what you'll need (or similar parts) to make this work and use a 0411 PCM.

You wont be using the stock tune for the Burb at all, an Express van tune modded for the 454 is what you'll start with. Id start with talking to EFIConnection, they know their stuff. If you buy a V2, you dont need to buy any tunes.

Lextech
December 22nd, 2012, 03:15 AM
The 0411 can and does run several 7.4 engines that I know of. You just need to repin the PCM connectors for the 12200411 PCM. I have a "Starter" tune I could send you. This is just a pieced together tune. I have NEVER actually tuned a 7.4, 0411 before. If you are interested, PM me your name and E-Mail address and I will send you the wiring info. We are just getting ready to go out of town for Christmas, so I won't be able to send you anything for several days.

Jeff

jgmend100
December 22nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hi Mr. Lextech, First let me Thank you for sending me the 96 and 97 repin diagrams for the 0411. Yes I would like the Starter tune for the vortec.
my e-mail is : chenti001@msn.com- Thanks and have a safe trip.-Juan.

hog
December 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
I am not sure of the conversion kit, What I want to do is get the 454 running with a stock tune (1996 2500 Suburban) but changing the black box to 0411 for better tuning with Efilive.
The 454 has a reluctor wheel but I don't know if I have to change it in order to be able to use the 0411. Since it is going in a 94 blazer I want to be able to turn off the rear o2 sensers and rpm limits. I would like to do the tuning myself I am just waiting for Tax Refund in order to buy the V2 and extra tunes. They told me that this forum is great for ELive help. And they were Right! Thanks SE22!
There is an engine with the RPO code L21 it was used from 1998-2001 in medium duty truck/motorhome apps, it uses a 24x reluctor which swaps directly for the 4x reluctor wheel you have stock. The L21 Vortec 454 used PCM's 16232148 and 16238212 which are dual 80 pin connectored 512kb PCM's similar to the 411, but are not interchangeable.

You dont need anything from EFIConnection, the $12 24x reluctor and its accompanying crank position sensor.
Reluctor - 12552480 (this is the reluctor design that EFIConnection re-engineered for their SBCconversion packages-its a L21 BBC 24x reluctor with a SBC crank snout diameter hole along with an L21 crank sensor)
crank sensor - 10456248
But if you go 411 with the 24x reluctor, you will be forced to run Coil Near Plug ignition as there are no 24x reluctor 411 PCM calibrations that use a distributer.

But if I were you, I would just use the 411 PCM you have and wire it up like a Vortec 350 and use a 2001 or 2002 L31 Vortec 350 Express van PCM calibration., The van tune uses the 411 PCM stock BBC and SBC 4x reluctor and 1x cam position sensor(in the distributer-in L21 BBC apps, the distributer has a flat cap with no plug wires coming out of it, the gear engages the cam and is used for a 1x cam sensor reference while the 24x reluctor provides the 24x signal needed to run CNP and ETC).

24x reluctor and LS1 Vette tune needed to run 411 and CNP ignition and ETC throttle
24x reluctor and LS1 Camaro tune needed to run 411 and CNP ignition and cable throttle
4x reluctor and 01-02 van tune needed to run 411 PCM with distributer ignition and cable throttle. (this is a weirdo calibration and the only 512kb dual 80 pin connector PCM calibration that allows for disitributor ignition. This calibration has allowd the TPI Camaro/vette and 1996-2000 truck owners, and any SBC engine to use the 411 PCM so long as you can bolt on the composite from cover, crank sensor and reluctor wheel).

Lextech is your friend, take him up on his offer.

peace
Hog

jgmend100
December 23rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the Info mr.Hog
That is what I
will do ,change and use the 0411 pcm and use the Express van tune for the stock 454 that I have. That way with the 0411 and V2 programmer I can
have better tuning control of the 454. I was going to put in a 8.1 but my frame gets in the way of the A/C compressor and in Arizona Summer is a little hot.
Mr. Lextech and you all have really helped me, Thanks-Juan