PDA

View Full Version : TCC and VSS in swap project

FirstGenThree
August 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've found a decent amount of useful info here regarding this but each project is a bit different so..
First off this is an '87 s10 with an '03 5.3 and a 200-4r. It for now is remaining TBW. I have the TV cable set up to work off the pedal assembly itself. My intentions are to use a VSS that allows the speedo cable to pass through it, such as one found from JTR, and use the original in dash speedometer. My speedo gears in the trans are setup for my rear diff and the tire size I intend to put on (currently has tires about 1.5" shorter dia.) It appears these only come in 2 or 4 pulse (per sensor revolution?) types. The minimum H0102 value is 10. If my sensor outputs 4 pulses per cable revolution that comes out to 1.43 pulses per driveshaft revolution (speedo gears are__ drive:10 driven:28) The pcm is not controlling shift points so that is in my favor but I feel it will be a hassle when it comes time to get the TCC dialed in. I would like to keep TCC pcm controled because all the aftermarket kits with the vacuum switch are only for 4th gear, i'd prefer lockup in 2-4th. Perhaps I could set these values moderately low and use the vacuum switch to interrupt lockup?
So it seems I may need to simply fabricate one of the driveshaft mounted units that would produce 40 pulses, or at least 10 for that matter. If anyone knows of the pass thru type speed sensor that produces more pulses let me know. Or if someone is bored and wants to crunch some numbers for false values feel free. The current tires are 205/70-15's or the speedo gears are setup for a 27.5" tall tire ( I understand this will cause some error/problems until I change tires) The rear has 3.73:1 gears, and as stated above the speedo gears are drive: 10 and driven: 28. Mainly looking for an easier solution to making the VSS accurate, Thanks in advance for any and all help.

LS-SWAPPER
August 22nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
I am wondering the same thing, particularly the TCC lockup part of it. Any ideas?

EagleMark
August 23rd, 2012, 02:41 AM
If your going the driveshaft route check out Greg in North Idaho as he has 40 tooth wheels made up for bolt on and does others to slip on yoke to weld.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?640-VSS-Rings-for-EFI-conversions