PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cruze tune....

rally1
August 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hi all...

Hoping someone can help by giving me some direction in what tables need adjusting to carry out a basic tune on a 2012 Holden Cruze? From what I have found so far it looks like boost is controlled from desired torque? It is currently running around 11psi with just a little knock at the top end with the Octane scalar sitting at around 0.03...

From what I have seen from other peoples experience they may also have too much spark in both the high and low tables?

Can anyone look at my tune file for me and make some basic changes? Happy to pay for good information and a base start point.

GMPX
August 6th, 2012, 09:53 AM
They don't take much timing on unleaded, maybe 2 or 3 degrees maximum in boost so once you start throwing more boost at it keep an eye on the final timing.
Some basic changes you need to do are:

B7017 & B7018, increase these torque limits.
B8802, set the last column much higher than stock, mine is currently set to 190KW in the 100% column.
B7009, increase this
B7007, increase this too.

That is really about all that is needed, with just those changes alone it's possible to get 19 PSI from one of these!!

If you are happy to post the stock tune up, I'll change what is needed for others to download and see?

rally1
August 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that, its always nice to have someone with experience to give you a point in the right direction:good:

Thanks again, much appreciated.

GMPX
August 6th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Try this for starters (not my fault if it blows up, may contain traces of nuts etc), but please keep in mind, this is primarily based on an Auto car running E85 fuel, having said that, most of the additional timing I have is in the Ethanol spark tables, not the main High/Low maps.
At this stage those running E85 or methanol injection are still seeing knock retard between 4,500 and 5,500, we are suspecting this might be false.
You would need to run a minimum of 98 Octane fuel on this tune, just keep an eye on the knock retard too. Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Ross

kangsta
August 6th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Interesting.... I notice in B7011 the octane scaler goes from -7 to 1.00, wonder how you get an octane scaler of -7 :lookaround:

GMPX
August 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Ahh, oops, that is wrong. Funny I never noticed that before and it's the same OS as my car.

kangsta
August 7th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Ahh, oops, that is wrong. Funny I never noticed that before and it's the same OS as my car.

any reason the spark table axis changed in your modified file that was posted? Just curious as it seems to be in a range that the 1.4T wouldnt get to.

GMPX
August 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Actually it does, mine hits 0.86 now, stock ends at 0.75.

kangsta
August 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
wow nice, time for me to start playing around with boost!

rally1
August 8th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for that Ross, all going good so far but I do have top end knock and it’s not false...

Should my E78 DMA pids work? I can’t get them to go, have validated pids and they show up but no data?

Running 7.5.7 211 and 8.2.1 203

Thanks

GMPX
August 9th, 2012, 09:59 AM
The DMA PID's should be ok, are they reading wrong or can't you select any of them?
Re the top end knock you are seeing, I'm not sure what the best fuel is in NZ, so you may have to back it off a bit. Out here with our 98 Octane only a few degrees of timing is tolerated which is about what that tune should be commanding. One thing I've noticed, it would appear the timing figure you see in the scantool does not take in to account knock retard :lookaround:

rally1
August 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I can select and log them but they are all reading 0.0 expect the octane scaler which appears to be flat line at 0.031, Would you like to see a log file?

Its running 98 but our fuel is pretty poor (in keeping with us being your poor cousins) im getting around 6 deg with this tune at WOT so need to lower it but would like to log APCYL-DMA so i cant work out where im at in the spark table.

rally1
August 9th, 2012, 02:07 PM
If I log 2 or less DMA pids only I get error code "ERR_IGNORED/4" if i log 3 or more it will log but no data....

rally1
August 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Ok so I have got the PIDS all working thanks Ross, but now have a few more issues, I am getting random throttle reduction during full throttle dyno pulls, it looks like torque reduction and lasts for around .5 sec with the throttle reducing to 50%, it can happen around both peak torque and peak power but that may just be coincidence, has any one seen this before?

I am also struggling with top end power, so far we have a big gain in low down torque but once we get to around 5000rpm it hits a wall and the power drops back to standard even with boost around 18psi 2deg timing and 11.8 afr. It feels very surge and flat above 5k, On some dyno pulls it shows a big dip in power and torque curves reminiscent of LS1 valve springs, do these have issues with valve springs or exhaust flow? We have removed air filter and left the intake lid up which did not help..

Any ideas? It’s looking really promising with the low down torque but I just can’t get past the other two issues, I have seen other peoples dyno graphs online and they have no issues with top end power so what am I missing?

GMPX
August 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Ok so I have got the PIDS all working thanks Ross, but now have a few more issues, I am getting random throttle reduction during full throttle dyno pulls, it looks like torque reduction and lasts for around .5 sec with the throttle reducing to 50%, it can happen around both peak torque and peak power but that may just be coincidence, has any one seen this before?
Only time I see throttle reduction is on a 1-2 shift, if the wheels slip a little then it will hold the throttle at 50% until I lift.

It feels very surge and flat above 5k, On some dyno pulls it shows a big dip in power and torque curves reminiscent of LS1 valve springs, do these have issues with valve springs or exhaust flow? We have removed air filter and left the intake lid up which did not help..
Word is they might :lookaround:

kbracing96
June 8th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I Know this is an old thread, but I came across it while researching tuning Cruzes. I'm looking to buy one and want to see what I can do with them. Are they flex fuel tune able, or did you just retune for E85 all the time? E85 is something I would very much like to be able to run. I run it in my turbo truck all the time, but Have to retune every time I switch fuels. Is that what you have to do with the Cruze too?

Boost
June 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?19582-Chev-Holden-1-4L-Cruze-E85-FlexFuel-Conversion

kbracing96
June 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Guess i should have looked a little harder, lol. I did buy a 2012 Cruze yesterday, so looks like its time to start playing! ;)

Boost
June 9th, 2013, 12:05 PM
:cool: Congrats, and have fun!

vortecfcar
June 12th, 2013, 03:23 AM
I've spent the morning tinkering with the new .calz release on a customers Cruze. This thing wakes up big time below 5K, but after 5K RPM it's like it want's to go take a nap.

My logs show the electronic throttle closing from 85% to %52 over the course of a few hundred RPM starting at about 4900RPM. At first I thought it was KR related, because I had a consistent 1.9KR from about 5K up. Then I figured out how to get rid of the mysterious 1.9KR using table B1940. My desired TQ command is a constant 190 Across the board at WOT and I'm not getting any detectable knock. Anyone have any idea why the car is closing the throttle on me?

Nick

joecar
June 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM
What is the name/description of B1940...?

vortecfcar
June 12th, 2013, 05:14 AM
The knock balancing rates are used to balance the sensitivity of individual cylinders which may be more prone to detonation.
These balance rates will be applied on a per cylinder basis to the final knock retard values.
The cylinder designation of A-H is used instead of 1-8 because it cannot be guaranteed each platform using this ECM will conform to a standard wiring pinout.

Essentially, this table will always pull this much timing at said RPM and call it KR. -Nick

kangsta
June 12th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I've spent the morning tinkering with the new .calz release on a customers Cruze. This thing wakes up big time below 5K, but after 5K RPM it's like it want's to go take a nap.

My logs show the electronic throttle closing from 85% to %52 over the course of a few hundred RPM starting at about 4900RPM. At first I thought it was KR related, because I had a consistent 1.9KR from about 5K up. Then I figured out how to get rid of the mysterious 1.9KR using table B1940. My desired TQ command is a constant 190 Across the board at WOT and I'm not getting any detectable knock. Anyone have any idea why the car is closing the throttle on me?

Nick

Can you post the tune file? There are a lot of torque related tables

vortecfcar
June 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM
See attached.

NIck

GMPX
June 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Email sent Nick.

Boost
June 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
It is closing the throttle to make torque.

vortecfcar
June 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Please explain then why the delivered torque is plummeting post throttle closing?

Nick

Boost
June 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I think because it is trying to make the requested torque by closing the throttle. I should have worded it more specifically. This happens when the requested torque is too high. It also raises IATs.

vortecfcar
June 13th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Interesting, it didn't do it when I commanded 175 so I suppose you might be onto something. Just seems counterproductive.

Have you guys seen throttle openings higher than ~83% or is that typical?

Nick

ScarabEpic22
June 14th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Nick, are you using the ETCTP PID or SAE.TP? SAE will only show ~83ish, ETCTP should show 100% at WOT (and ~13-16ish at idle).

Boost
June 15th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Interesting, it didn't do it when I commanded 175 so I suppose you might be onto something.

Yes, I am definitely not God's gift to tuning but I have already experienced plenty of this during our Cruze project a year ago.

Just seems counterproductive.

Welcome to GM tuning :music_whistling_1: :anitoof:

Have you guys seen throttle openings higher than ~83% or is that typical?

That's WOT (normal).

vortecfcar
June 18th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Nick, are you using the ETCTP PID or SAE.TP? SAE will only show ~83ish, ETCTP should show 100% at WOT (and ~13-16ish at idle).

Thank you Eric, much appreciated. I was logging the SAE PID.

Yes, I am definitely not God's gift to tuning but I have already experienced plenty of this during our Cruze project a year ago.

Welcome to GM tuning :music_whistling_1: :anitoof:

That's WOT (normal).

Thanks for the reply. I could do without the snark, but that's your call.

Nick

Boost
June 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM
sorry