PDA

View Full Version : Using EFILive (V5/V6) to capture Wide band O2 data

jnorris
February 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM
I recently bought an Innovate Motorsports LM-1 Wide band O2 sensor. The only problem is that I had to log data in the LM-1 as well as in EFILive. So I decided to use an existing sensor input into the PCM to output the LM-1 date into.
Below is a link to a Word doc that explains what I did to achieve this.

ftp://members.aol.com/jnorris404/EFILive_LM1.doc

Below is the text from that document minus the pictures.

Below is how I integrated the Innovate Motorsports LM-1 wide band O2 meter or any wide band that has an output range of 0V-5V into the PCM of a 98 Z28 using EFILive.
I am sure that this method will work for any 98 - 2002 F or Y body car. You will need to consult your service manual to confirm this.
If you have any questions or corrections email me at jnorris404@aol.com

Thanks
John Norris

Preface

The goal is to pipe the analog output (voltage) from the LM-1 into the stock PCM and log it with EFILive as you are logging other data as well. I used the 0V-5V input into the PCM that is used to monitor the A/C Pressure.

LM-1

I used the analog output port number 2 as configured from Innovate Motorsports.
1V=10:1AFR 2V=20:1AFR.
The analog interface cable I used is part number 42-2561 from Radio Shack. You will need to cut the ¼ inch female end off and strip back insulation to expose the wires and copper shield. The shield is ground, the red wire will be output 2 and the white wire is output 1.
Ultimately you will be using the ground and the red wire to interface the LM-1 with the stock PCM.

PCM

Under the hood on the passenger’s side towards the back you will the pressure sensor for the A/C system. See picture below.
There is 3-wire plug attached to the sensor. On a 98 F body the red wire is the input into the PCM, the gray wire is the 5V reference voltage supply, and the black wire is the ground.
I ran the analog output from the LM-1 into this plug using wiretaps to connect to the red wire from the LM-1 to the red wire going the PCM and the black wires from the LM-1 to the black wire going to the PCM. I passed the analog output cable from the LM-1 through the rubber grommet located below and the left of the PCM

The A/C pressure plug must be unplugged from the sensor while you are using it to receive data from the LM-1. If it is not damage to the LM-1 or your PCM could result. Additionally the A/C will not function when the plug is not connected to the sensor.

EFILive

With some help from Paul (EFILive) I created the formula below which is based on the GM.ACP PID.

(RAW({GM.ACP})/5.1)-correction factor

The RAW function tells EFILive not to perform any calculations or conversions to the data for the specified PID.

GM.ACP – A/C Pressure has a range of 0-255 in its RAW state.

Dividing the GM.ACP PID by 5.1 is for the following reason.
The RAW voltage range from the PCM for the GM.ACP PID is 0-255 so 255/51 = 5. This converts the raw data to a 0V-5V range
The voltage range the LM-1 is going to output is 1V-2V so 1.47 will really be an AFR of 14.7:1. Remember on the LM-1 that 1V=10:1AFR 2V=20:1AFR
You would need to multiply the data by 10 in order to see the 14.7 value.
So 51 divided by 10 equals 5.1 the completed formula would be written as
GM.ACP / 51 * 10 which can be simplified and rewritten as GM.ACP / 5.1.

In order to log the wide band O2 data in EFILive you must select the GM.ACP PID as well as the new wide band PID you are creating.

Correction factor

For whatever reason the analog output from the LM-1 is not the same as the A/F value as logged by the LM-1. In order to make the values appear correctly in EFILive You will need to apply a correction factor.
What I did was to let the car idle for about 15 minutes and recording the A/F with the LM-1 as well as EFILive with no correction factor applied to the formula. Afterwards I averaged the A/F numbers from the LM-1and EFILive logs. The difference is the correction factor. I also did some WOT logging and the correction factor was inline with the correction factor as determined from the idle test.

When I measured the voltage on the red wire going to the PCM from the A/C Pressure with nothing else attached or plugged in there was a voltage floor of .02V. My correction factor was -.425. The formula I put into CALC.PIDS.TXT file EFILive was (RAW({GM.ACP})/5.1)-0.425. This file is located in the following directory “C:\Program Files\EFILive\ScanToolV6\Configuration”
Also when you re-calibrate the wide band sensor you will also have to confirm your correction factor is still correct. The first correction factor I used was 0.522. With a good correction factor in place when I compare the logged values from the LM-1 to the values logged in EFILive there is less that .1 difference.

The LM-1 will output the AFR even if you are not recording the data. So after you have determined the correction factor you will no longer have turn on/off the record button to get the data as long as you are recording with EFILive.

Below are the formulas in my CALC_PIDS.TXT file.
# Calculated
# ----------------
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-1000
V 10.0 20.0 .3 (RAW({GM.ACP})/5.1)-0.425
# ================================================== ============================
*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
#
# Calculated
# ----------------
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.WBO2 F600 CLC-00-1000 V Fuel "Wide Band O2 Sensor"

GMPX
February 9th, 2004, 04:22 PM
We heard everybodies cries for help on this, thus the new adaptor was born...

DebianDog
February 10th, 2004, 04:45 AM
We heard everybodies cries for help on this, thus the new adaptor was born...

Wideband question. Since a wideband has a relatively short life is it feasible to put a bung and sensor in my cutout (it is under the rear passenger seat) so that when I wanted to take readings I could and save the life of the WB sensor? Or is that too far away from the headers (I have no cats)

66ImpalaLT1
February 13th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I'd still rather have the new adapter, but I'll be using a similar technique to connect my LM-1 to a rear O2 input.

Blackbird
March 16th, 2004, 09:56 AM
good stuff but I don't want to lose my AC

as for using the rear 02's they are not a 0 - 5 volt inputs are they?

GMPX
March 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Have you folks had any joy with Innovate Motorsports email replies?.
I appear to be getting ignored!!.

jnorris
March 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM
good stuff but I don't want to lose my AC

as for using the rear 02's they are not a 0 - 5 volt inputs are they?

I feel sure that the range is between 0-1 vdc.

jnorris
March 16th, 2004, 03:21 PM

I have emailed Klaus with Innovate. He was very responsive.
Here is his email address.

klaus@innovate-tech.com

John

GMPX
March 16th, 2004, 03:36 PM

I have emailed Klaus with Innovate. He was very responsive.
Here is his email address.

klaus@innovate-tech.com

John

Thanks John, I shall go direct....

Cheers.

JxxxOxxxE
August 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I see that the last reply to this was in March, so has anyone been succesfully doing this since then? I am thinking about doing it in the coming weeks...Is the sensor still working for you?

GMPX
August 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
We have since moved on, see here -

http://www.efilive.com/scan_6.html

Cheers.

JxxxOxxxE
August 25th, 2004, 02:20 AM
We have since moved on, see here -

http://www.efilive.com/scan_6.html

Cheers.

Ok, I see...

In the integrated wide band O2 images:

"AFR :1" is the PCM's commanded Air Fuel Ratio.

"WO2 AFR" is the wide band O2 sensor Air Fuel Ratio.

"O2 SIM V" is the wide band O2 sensor's simulation of the narrow band O2 sensor.

Can you elaborate more on it? Or is that just saying that EFI Live now comes with the PID's already pre-configured, but I will still have to hook the wideband up as described above? Thanks....

Justin98TransAm
September 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM
do you have to have the complete LM-1 to do this or can you just use the sensor? I've got a wideband sensor the wires are RED YELLOW GREY BLACK WHITE.

It's the BOSCH sensor that comes with the LM-1

jnorris
November 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Sorry I just saw this. You have to have the complete LM-1 for this to work.

Black02SS
November 14th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Thanks to JNorris and Blacky for the help on this. I have a Zeitronix Wideband and finally was able to incorporate it into EFI Live. I have a 02' and the colors for the A/C harness were a little different. Red/Black, Gray, and Purple were the colors for my car. I took the output from the Wideband (white) to the Red/Black on the harness. Next, I took the Brown wire (sensor ground from the wideband) and taped that into the purple wire on the A/C harness. This was the easy part.

Onto the PID. This took several attempts to get correct. Here is the current Custom PID that I am using. I have compared this to the actual Dataloger on the wideband and it is spot on. I'm not saying this is the right way, but it works. :lol:

Below are the formulas in my CALC_PIDS.TXT file.
# Calculated
# ----------------
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-1000
V 10.0 20.0 .3 (0.627*((RAW({GM.ACP})/51)*(RAW({GM.ACP})/51))+(0.457*(RAW({GM.ACP})/51))+9.7758)-0.425
# ================================================== ============================
#
# Calculated
# ----------------
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------
CALC.WBO2 F600 CLC-00-1000 V Fuel "Wide Band O2 Sensor"

LS1Nova
May 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I have a dynojet wideband commander and I used your cal pid. Everything works great but it read 28.something when the afr is 14.7. Can anyone explain to me how to fix this in laymans terms.

THanks a ton,
Frank

Blacky
May 30th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I have a dynojet wideband commander and I used your cal pid. Everything works great but it read 28.something when the afr is 14.7. Can anyone explain to me how to fix this in laymans terms.

THanks a ton,
Frank

Do you have any specifications from Dynojet about the relationship between the output voltage and the AFR value?

For example, some wide band O2 manufacturers state something like this:
0V = 10AFR
2.35V = 14.7AFR
5V = 20AFR
Does your dynoject have any similar specifications?

Regards
Paul

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 03:43 AM
I called tech support, and they said

0v = 10-1
2.94v = 14.7-1
5v = 18-1

Thanks
Frank

Blacky
May 31st, 2005, 09:43 AM
That would make your wide band O2 equation:

AFR = V*1.6+10

so in this http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1145 example, replace

# Add slot definitions here
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
*CLC-00-001
AFR 10.0 20.0 .1 "{EXT.AD1}*2+9"
with

#
*CLC-00-001
AFR 10.0 18.0 .1 "{EXT.AD1}*1.6+10"

Regards
Paul

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 10:19 AM
Paul, I'm using the same thing as jnorris in the first post. Basically I need to use a different formula, but I am braindead and can't figure out how to do it.

I'm using my analog output voltage to go into my a/c pressure sensor with V6.

Your right my afr=v*1.6+10

Thanks
Frank

Blacky
May 31st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Paul, I'm using the same thing as jnorris in the first post. Basically I need to use a different formula, but I am braindead and can't figure out how to do it.

I'm using my analog output voltage to go into my a/c pressure sensor with V6.

Your right my afr=v*1.6+10

Thanks
Frank

So you're not using a FlashScan interface, and you are trying to hook your wide band via the A/C pressure sensor?

Regards
Paul

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 10:28 AM
or would it be easier for me to convert the voltage in the a/c voltage pid, v*1.6+10 and log that?

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 10:30 AM
thats correct

So you're not using a FlashScan interface, and you are trying to hook your wide band via the A/C pressure sensor?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 31st, 2005, 10:38 AM
Oh, I misunderstood your requirements - sorry.

Use this calculated PIDs file:
Note: There is no need to define the units V and AFR because they are already defined in the Program files\EFILive\V7\Configuration\sae_generic.txt file.

# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter Value Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION 7.1.1 File version
DECSEP . Decimal separator used in this file

# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code System Abbr Description
#-------- ---------- -------- --------------------------------------------------

#
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- ---------------------------------
*CLC-00-001
V 0.0 5.00 .1 "{GM.ACPS}"
AFR 10.0 18.0 .2 "{GM.ACPS}*1.6+10"

# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ---------------------------------
CALC.AFR F001 CLC-00-001 "AFR,V" Fuel "Wide band AFR"

(Edited to correct {GM.ACP} to {GM.ACPS} as per LS1Nova's post further down)

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 11:15 AM
I copied that formula and I get an error code when I open efilive now.

err_cinfig/92
units afr not found

and I can't connect now due to this error

err_noinit/121
not initialised, call obiil nit()first

Frank

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 11:35 AM
I copied that formula and I get an error code when I open efilive now.

err_cinfig/92
units afr not found

and I can't connect now due to this error

err_noinit/121
not initialised, call obiil nit()first

Frank

Got this fixed, I just ereased all the afr's in the formula. but it ends up giving me a number in the 350 range for 14.7 when I log.

Blacky
May 31st, 2005, 11:37 AM
Make sure you are using the latest version of EFILive - I strongly recommend upgrading to V7.2.2 if you have not already done so. It's free - even if you are still using an AutoTap interface.
http://www.efilive.com/upgrade.html

Meanwhile you can add the AFR units to your calc_pids.txt file like this:

# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------
#Fuel
#----------
AFR None AFR "Air Fuel Ratio"

LS1Nova
May 31st, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thsnks for all the help Blacky. :D

I ended up figuring it out, here's what I used. It just seemed more simple to me.

# Calculated
# ----------------
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- ---------------------------------
*CLC-00-001
V 10.0 18.0 .1 "({GM.ACPS}*1.6+10)"

#
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ---------------------------------
CALC.AFR F001 CLC-00-001 "V" Fuel "Wide band AFR"

Blacky
May 31st, 2005, 12:05 PM
Good idea, I forgot about {GM.ACPS} (the sensor voltage).
However, that will show up with units of "V".
You can make the units show up as AFR by adding them as I showed a few posts ago. Then just change BOTH V's to AFR.

Paul

Blacky
May 31st, 2005, 12:12 PM
So the correct calc_pids.txt file should look like this:

WARNING - check that the units AFR do not exist in the file:
Program Files\EFILive\V7\configuration\sae_generic.txt
If that file already contains the AFR units definition then do not include the AFR units definition in calc_pids.txt

# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter Value Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION 7.1.1 File version
DECSEP . Decimal separator used in this file

*UNITS
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------
#Fuel
#----------
AFR None AFR "Air Fuel Ratio"

#-------- ---------- -------- --------------------------------------------------

#
*CLC-00-001
V 0.0 5.00 .1 "{GM.ACPS}"
AFR 10.0 18.0 .2 "{GM.ACPS}*1.6+10"

#
CALC.AFR F001 CLC-00-001 "AFR,V" Fuel "Wide band AFR"

joecar
May 31st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Paul, can please you make this thread sticky.
Ta.