PDA

View Full Version : Need a Down Under Clarification

TAQuickness
February 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Pie & Chips. What is it?

From previous post, I gather chips are fries and crisps are chips. Is a pie a pie?

mnotx
February 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Watching those lizard commercials, too? I'm betting it's Sheppard's Pie or some sort of meat pie. Fried potatoes just ain't going to go with cherry pie.

Delco
February 21st, 2006, 12:25 PM
Pie & Chips. What is it?

From previous post, I gather chips are fries and crisps are chips. Is a pie a pie?

pie is generally a meat pipe , eaten usually at the footy with tomato sauce on it - held in the hand.

Chips are hot fries but generally a little thicker than the macdonald version, crisps,potato chips are what we get out of a little bag , very thin slices cold and crispy

TAQuickness
February 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Watching those lizard commercials, too? I'm betting it's Sheppard's Pie or some sort of meat pie. Fried potatoes just ain't going to go with cherry pie.

There's Pie, there's chips, and it's free. Of course I want it.

pie is generally a meat pipe , eaten usually at the footy with tomato sauce on it - held in the hand.

Chips are hot fries but generally a little thicker than the macdonald version, crisps,potato chips are what we get out of a little bag , very thin slices cold and crispy

Ok.... What's the footy?

And thanks for the pie clarification. I was thinking the same thing as mnotx - cherry pie and fries

joecar
February 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM
"Footy" is football, and this could be either Aussie Rules, Rugby League, or Rugby Union.

Meat pie is similar to shepherds pie, but with more gravy and uniform meat chunks;
As Delco said, held in the hand, drips out as you bite into it.

Meat pies are traditional at the footy, same as hot dogs at the baseball game.

Some people dowse the top of their pie with 'tomato sauce' ('Ketchup' in the USA),
while other people squirt tomato sauce inside under the top pastry layer.

Chips are hot fries; these can also be eaten by dipping in tomato sauce.
Crisps are potato chips cold out of a bag.

Variation: you smash up your crisps in the bag and pour them over your tomato sauce dowsed pie.

TAQuickness
February 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
"Footy" is football

Football or Soccer (futbol)?

Thanks for all the info

joecar
February 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM
Football or Soccer (futbol)?

Thanks for all the info Traditionally (when I was a kid) in Oz, Football meant either 'Aussie Rules', 'Rugby League' or 'Rugby Union'.

In more recent times, it includes Soccer also.

Cheers
:cheers:

joecar
February 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussie_Rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Union

Delco
February 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
"
Meat pie is similar to shepherds pie, but with more gravy and uniform meat chunks;
As Delco said, held in the hand, drips out as you bite into it.

Meat pies are traditional at the footy, same as hot dogs at the baseball game.

Some people dowse the top of their pie with 'tomato sauce' ('Ketchup' in the USA),
while other people squirt tomato sauce inside under the top pastry layer.

Shepherds pie to me is a pie with no pastry top but a layer of mashed potato on top - dont really ever see them over this side of the country.

the traditional pie is a meat pie with a pastry top on , just the right size to hold in one hand and leave the other free for the "tinny" ( can of beer) , a good one will stay in shape so you can eat it while driving , using the knee and rh forefinger to steer as the tinny is in the right hand :) :banana: :beer:

joecar
February 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Shepherds pie to me is a pie with no pastry top but a layer of mashed potato on top - dont really ever see them over this side of the country.

the traditional pie is a meat pie with a pastry top on , just the right size to hold in one hand and leave the other free for the "tinny" ( can of beer) , a good one will stay in shape so you can eat it while driving , using the knee and rh forefinger to steer as the tinny is in the right hand :beer:
LOL... :muahaha:

I was trying to illustrate what it was like, so it wasn't the right illustration to everyone;
I've tried explaining a meat pie to my wife's family and just they look at me with a far away stare... :bash:

Oh yeah, a tinny or two is important, can't do anything without beer.:cheers:

I'm going to have to try your tinny assisted steering method.

TAQuickness
February 22nd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Sounds like yall's pie is very similar in function to a crawfish pie.

On the tinny's, I believe it was a lazy American that inventied the beer hat. Conveniently holds two frosty cool one's on your head feeding your mouth with a straw, while at the same time freeing your hands for more important task such as driving or pies.

mnotx
February 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
This is going to come in handy when we visit Australia or New Z. At least we won't starve to death trying to convey our order!

Now, what's the proper definition of the phrase "knocked-up" over there? Knew a gal from Aus that trained cutting horses over here. She used the phrase often when overworked.

Tordne
February 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
This is going to come in handy when we visit Australia or New Z. At least we won't starve to death trying to convey our order!

Now, what's the proper definition of the phrase "knocked-up" over there? Knew a gal from Aus that trained cutting horses over here. She used the phrase often when overworked.

Knocked-up, in New Zealand anyway, generally means that a chick is pregnant. Over worked... Not sure what I would say to that :)

Delco
February 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

If she's knocked up from overwork then she must be a working gal ( hooker ) :nixweiss:

"Knocked up" in my definition is pregnant

"shagged" can in the right sence mean worn out from overwork , can also mean I "shagged" the aformentioned girl and now shes "knocked up" - been there and done that a few times , get the alimony reminders every month :bawl:

slang varies all over the country depending on the region you are in much like the difference between texas and new york slang.

You wont starve when you are here , we have all the bland tasteless food like Mac Donalds , KFC , Burger king and subway. We also dont have prawns on the barby - steak and sausages are the staple diet

joecar
February 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
TNow, what's the proper definition of the phrase "knocked-up" over there? Knew a gal from Aus that trained cutting horses over here. She used the phrase often when overworked. Are you sure she wasn't saying "Knackered" which means overworked wornout tired.
Or, was she talking about the horses...?

mnotx
February 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
If they say it in a way that sounds like knocked, then "knackered" is probably correct. She used the phrase when she was working hard. I only understood about half of what she said anyway, but she was fun to listen to! And people say Texans talk funny.

Said she came from the area where Snowy River was filmed. Where is that? Pretty country. One of these days I am going to visit there.

joecar
February 22nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Said she came from the area where Snowy River was filmed. Where is that? Pretty country. One of these days I am going to visit there.
That's in the Snowy Mountains in south eastern NSW right on the Vic. border.
Mountainous, nice scenery, highest peak 7310 ft "Mt. Kosciusco";
Area has several ski resorts, skiable snow on average 3-4 months per year.
Australia is the driest continent (as in water, not grog ;)), but it has a lot of skiiers. :cheers:

Tordne
February 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Joecar,

You sound homesick mate!!! When you coming back home downunder :).

ringram
February 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
I survived a month holiday in NZ on meat pies, Im now 5kg over my normal weight :)

Anyway forget Oz for scenery, NZ rules. Check out this (http://www.efilive.co.uk/nz1.jpg), this (http://www.efilive.co.uk/nz3.jpg) and this (http://www.efilive.co.uk/nz4.jpg).

I drove my mates, LS1 3000 miles around the southern alps, you can drive for an hour without seeing another car.

joecar
February 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM
Joecar,

You sound homesick mate!!! When you coming back home downunder :).
Andrew,
I probably am, and we're overdue for our trip back every 3-4 years.
Sometime we'll just up and move permanently.

joecar
February 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Anyway forget Oz for scenery, NZ rules. Mrs and me visited the South Island and were blown away by the scenery;
the high point (pun intended) was a heli landing near the top of Mt. Cook (sunny winter's day, 1:30pm, temp was -15C/5F and dropping).
We wished we had more time, but we were on a tour.
On the way back we stopped and saw Paul in Auckland for few hours, he was very nice to us, showed us around Auckland on his little girl's birthday, thanks Paul. :cheers::cheers:

I'm going to have to find a bunch of Oz pics and post them. :cheers:

Tordne
February 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
If you do make it down to Auckland again let me know, I'd be keen to catch up for a :beer: or something.

mnotx
February 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
I survived a month holiday in NZ on meat pies, Im now 5kg over my normal weight :)

Anyway forget Oz for scenery, NZ rules. Check out this (http://www.efilive.co.uk/nz1.jpg), this (http://www.efilive.co.uk/nz3.jpg) and this (http://www.efilive.co.uk/nz4.jpg).

I drove my mates, LS1 3000 miles around the southern alps, you can drive for an hour without seeing another car.

Beautiful scenery.

joecar
February 25th, 2006, 06:58 AM
If you do make it down to Auckland again let me know, I'd be keen to catch up for a :beer: or something.
Andrew,
:beer:sounds good, no problem, we'll plan it into our next trip (don't know when, yet).
Cheers
Joe