PDA

View Full Version : B5916 base spark closed throttle threshold vs. tps voltage

relentless addiction
August 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
from searching and reading about idle screw adjustments a tps reset will be required, if idle screw adjusments are made.

also i assume the voltage needs to stay between .4-.6 volts. or am i not understanding?

does voltage make a differance beside making a mil if tps sensor fails?

my iac counts are maxed. i have to hold about 7% throttle to make car idle and it likes to see 36-40* to idle more so (smooth) you could say.
im trying to do all this w/o making the hole in the tb bigger, which will be the last resort if needed.

what are the limits to the tps reset?

any comments or questions will be appreciated!

thanks.

BLK02WS6
August 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I don't understand everyone's issue with making the hole bigger... In my opinion, trying to make the IAC motor control large amounts of air doesn't work - if you look at the plunger on the IAC, you will see why I say that. The further it opens, the more surface area is exposed very quickly (due to the pointed shape) and therefore, it can't react quick enough and the result if hunting. Valves like that are meant for fine control within a small range. For that reason, I drill the hole to get the control back in the normal range of the IAC motor. Fine tuning is then possible with the IAC tables...

And from what I have experienced, yes, opening the blade too far will push you into tables outside of the idle tables - even if you reset it to read 0% - it seems they are based on voltage, not %.

Just my 2 cents...

That is an aweful lot of timing for idle - what size cam do you have?

rally1
August 28th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I don't understand everyone's issue with making the hole bigger... In my opinion, trying to make the IAC motor control large amounts of air doesn't work - if you look at the plunger on the IAC, you will see why I say that. The further it opens, the more surface area is exposed very quickly (due to the pointed shape) and therefore, it can't react quick enough and the result if hunting. Valves like that are meant for fine control within a small range. For that reason, I drill the hole to get the control back in the normal range of the IAC motor. Fine tuning is then possible with the IAC tables...

And from what I have experienced, yes, opening the blade too far will push you into tables outside of the idle tables - even if you reset it to read 0% - it seems they are based on voltage, not %.

Just my 2 cents...

I second that, drill the hole and get it done!!!

relentless addiction
August 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I don't understand everyone's issue with making the hole bigger... In my opinion, trying to make the IAC motor control large amounts of air doesn't work - if you look at the plunger on the IAC, you will see why I say that.

i had to make the hole bigger... not the first time i have... and yes i did port the iac.

Just my 2 cents...

thought it was based off voltage. did some tinkering and yes they are rather than threshold...

its a customer car, and its a .657 .664 244-248 dur @.050 and 110lsa with 106 icl custom grind. and i finally got it to pull 15 in. hg

slows10
August 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM
You ported the iac? Could you give a description as to why you would do that and how you did that?

slows10
August 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM
What engine are you talking about in this thread?

slows10
August 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Are you getting it to pull 15 in. hg with 36-40 degrees timing?

relentless addiction
September 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
You ported the iac? Could you give a description as to why you would do that and how you did that?

just like a cylinder head..................... :notacrook:

What engine are you talking about in this thread?

ls1

Are you getting it to pull 15 in. hg with 36-40 degrees timing?

36 more than 38 engine doesnt like the negative torque

slows10
September 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
So you ported the iac versus drilling a hole in the tb? If you did that how are you going to calculate whats needed in the iac tables?