PDA

View Full Version : New LM2 without serial port?

Protec
August 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Just received my LM2 and it was my understanding that it had a serial port on the device so that I could use the serial cable that came with my flash Scan....

Well, no luck.. no serial port..

I prefer TaQ but they are back ordered...

Does anyone know if the "LM2 to USB" cable can be used for the EFILive Scan tool if I don't run their software?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

john

joecar
August 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hi John,

No, it has to be a serial cable.

Did Innovate remove the serial port...?

Protec
August 30th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Yes they did. I'll be trying a combination of several things to get their output a serial to a null modem to meet up with your serial cable to the V2.

If that does not work or produces less than accurate data I guess I'll need to use their serial I/o and wire it to the v2 as a last resort.

John-

joecar
August 31st, 2012, 02:56 AM
Does Innovate write the serial data thru their USB port (so you can use a USB-serial converter)...?

Can you post the new LM-2 user manual pdf here.

Protec
August 31st, 2012, 03:17 AM
Here is the short version user manual at 51 pages.

Protec
August 31st, 2012, 03:21 AM
They have a 4-pin MTS Serial IN -

Not sure if this is what was supplied on the old units or not. I assume I could use their cable and wire in a male serial end to connect to the V2...

Hope this helps.

John-

joecar
August 31st, 2012, 05:55 AM
On page 4 of the user manual, it shows MTS Serial OUT... does your LM-2 not have this...?

Protec
August 31st, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joecar,

Yes. I was expecting a "serial" port in my limited knowledge of old school serial ports on computers.. Do I just need to wire one together that mates with their 4 pin MTS?

This would then connect to the efiL cable..

I apologize in advance if these are very basic questions. I appreciate everyone's time with me.

Best ,

John

Highlander
September 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
It should come with an MTS to 3.5mm cable... cut that cable and crimp the RJ12 connector and you have a perfect cable for your system. Don't know if the TAQs are still being made.

Protec
September 5th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Highlander,

Thanks.. The setup I just received did not contain the MTS to 3.5 but I can get one and modify the cable. Appreciate the advice..

John-

Protec
September 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ok Guys -

I connected the MTS to the EFILive Serial Cable by cutting the ends off and soldering the 3 wires together on each.

I've tried adding the PIDS in V8 to see if the BBx would see the LM2 but it states no sensor found. I loaded the BBx to the Wideband Settings in Scan and tune and still nothing.

What am I missing here.. I'm at a loss....

Thanks,

John

joecar
September 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Did you cross the Rx and Tx signals...?

On your V2 you can navigate down to the wideband display to see if it is working.

Protec
September 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
joecar,

Can you expand on the signals? Im not following - Apologies.

I went to the "Show Wide band" and when I select that I says not found. I hit Ok to toggle through 1 & 2 and still nothing. This is on the V2 BBx

Sorry~

joecar
September 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
To talk to your PC, the Rx and Tx wires go straight (not crossed).

To talk to V2, the Rx and Tx wires need to cross (i.e. null modem cable).

See posts # 10, 15, 19 here: serial-port-cable-that-goes-to-v2 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9340-serial-port-cable-that-goes-to-v2)

Protec
September 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thats probably my issue.

Here is what I did.

I took the MTS to 3.5MM cable from Innovate and cut the 3.5mm off - This left me with a Red, White and Black wire.

I took the Serial cable to RS232 (EFILive Cable) and cut the Serial end off leaving me a Red, White and Black wire.

I thought by connecting these two cables together I would have in essence a direct serial cable from the LM-2 to the Flash Scan V2.

John

joecar
September 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I don't know that the red/white/black on each cable correspond to each other...

does the LM-2 user manual indicate what each of those 3 wires is...?

joecar
September 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I just looked at TAQuickness's instructions for the LM-2 cable, they say to connect SERIAL OUT to FlashScan V2...

i.e. SERIAL IN will not work.

I think that you should explain to Innovate that previously the SERIAL OUT was used to communicate with the EFILive FlashScan V2, and that you need an LM-2 that has the SERIAL OUT port.

Protec
September 7th, 2012, 12:41 AM
The LM-2 has a MTS 4 pin "In" and a 4 pin "out" on the side of the case...

As per the manual :

Serial Out
Pin Use
1 RX
2 TX
3 GND
4 GND

Can this still work?? I'm not sure of the corresponding color wires as I don't have the MTS wire with me, but can you tell me what the colors of the EFILive Cable correspond to with regard to TX, RX and Ground?

Any help is appreciated,

Best -

john

joecar
September 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM
So it has a port labelled MTS SERIAL OUT...?

If so, then that is the port you want to use;

you want a "null modem" cable (meaning Rx and Tx are crossed, see post #14 above, those links show the EFILive cable wire colors).

Protec
September 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joecar - Thanks for all your help. Here is what is needed and how to do this without a null modem adapter..

You will need a Innovate #3812 Serial Patch cable that has a 2.5mm jack on the other end and the Flash Scan V2 Serial Cable.

The #3812 can be had on Amazon for $12.00 if you don't have one in your LM-2 kit

Take the #3812 and cut the 2.5mm Jack off the end.
Take the V2 Serial Cable and cut the 9 pin female off of that cable.

You will have a black, red and white wires in both cables after you prep them.

Solder Black to Black
Solder White to Red on the respective cables.

This as you stated provides you with a Null Modem Cable Tx and RX crossed in a streamlined cable.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Best,

John~

joecar
September 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Cool, thanks for posting back :cheers: