PDA

View Full Version : 98's (Locked)

87gmc
February 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM
How is it looking any updates?

GMPX
February 14th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Mmm, slow.

We have been busy adding a bunch of new PID's into the scantool (over 230 in total now!!) and some more features/tables etc into the editor for the next release......then the next shipment of adaptors is about ready to start heading out (if they aren't already doing so).
We are also finalising our full reflash system for public release....so it does seem the 1998's are getting pushed back again.

There is of course the 1998 section now on the forum and I guess a few guys have downloaded the 'specs' on how the cal definitions need to be entered and have that underway, anyone?.

Cheers,
Ross

87gmc
February 14th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Mmm, slow.

We have been busy adding a bunch of new PID's into the scantool (over 230 in total now!!) and some more features/tables etc into the editor for the next release......then the next shipment of adaptors is about ready to start heading out (if they aren't already doing so).
We are also finalising our full reflash system for public release....so it does seem the 1998's are getting pushed back again.

There is of course the 1998 section now on the forum and I guess a few guys have downloaded the 'specs' on how the cal definitions need to be entered and have that underway, anyone?.

Cheers,
Ross

Wheres the 1998 section im looking 8)

87gmc
February 14th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I dont mean to ask so many questions but im just curious because i have a untuned cam car that surges alot and well I wanna get it running. I already have purchased flashscan just wanted to know on a rought estimate of date.

If were talking like months then i'll probaby just order a mail tune but if its going to be a few more weeks i can wait.

So..................any estimates :D

87gmc
February 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Just downloaded the new version now im able to see the 98 cal. I have a feeling it wont be much longer till were able to tune the 98's :D

Blacky
February 22nd, 2005, 10:38 PM
Just downloaded the new version now im able to see the 98 cal. I have a feeling it wont be much longer till were able to tune the 98's :D

The EFILive software has been configured to handle the 98 bin files and to display the 98 calibrations.
Now we just need input from the EFILive users in order to build up a calibration definition. And write the bootloaders.

Regards
Paul

emarkay
February 23rd, 2005, 01:50 AM
See this thread:

http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1323&highlight=

MRK

87gmc
March 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
So how are the 98's coming along? Update us :D

87gmc
March 18th, 2005, 06:27 PM
TTT

98WS6
March 20th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Are the 98 users able to read a 98 PCM? I haven't been able to...

If not, can a "read only" be enabled on the next update for us to see what we have?

Thanks!
Jason

red12secz28
March 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Will version 7.2 be able to tune 98 and 97 cars? I got a cammed 97 vette that doesn't want to idle. Trying to patiently wait,

kp
March 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
So how are them 98s coming :)

Blacky
March 23rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Are the 98 users able to read a 98 PCM? I haven't been able to...

If not, can a "read only" be enabled on the next update for us to see what we have?

Thanks!
Jason

Reading and flashing 98's has not been implemented yet.
Once we get 7.1.9 out we will get the 98's reading/reflashing working.

Paul

Blacky
March 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
The last 3-4 weeks have been spent fixing unexpected issues with reflashing some vehicles and implementing full reflash to enable our customers to use the EFILive custom operating system modifications.

I know that does not help the 98 guys at all, but our committment has always been to get the 99-05 PCMs working correctly, then implement the 98's.

Unfortunately we have suffered un-planned delays getting the 99-05's sorted out. That has pushed back the 98 delivery.

The 98' are at the top of the priority list after the current issues and full reflash are sorted out.

Regards
Paul

J 98ta
March 23rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Is it difficult to put a 99 + computer in a 98 car ? Maybe impossible, but maybe plug and play ?

98 owner thinking out loud...
'J

John Skiba
March 23rd, 2005, 03:49 PM
Is it difficult to put a 99 + computer in a 98 car ? Maybe impossible, but maybe plug and play ?

98 owner thinking out loud...
'J

The PCM connector pinout is different I believe.

Brains
March 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
completely different, and while a couple people have done it -- it definitely couldn't be fun repinning two 80 hole connectors...

kp
March 23rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Wonder how many pins have to be swapped, I would rather have a 99+ PCM even if the 98s were working right now to get the extended MAF table and a couple other things. The clusters are different and so is the fuel tank sender but I notice in flashscan you have access to the fuel guage calibration table so maybe that can be fixed. Plus the temp gauge is setup different, dont think thats a big problem though, and I'm sure a few other things are involved also.

I have thought about trying it..

J 98ta
March 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the reply's.

So if I had a 99-02 PCM and harness ? Anyone done this here ?

'J
jman812@hotmail.com

JxxxOxxxE
March 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM
There was a thread on LS1tech about putting a 99'+ PCM ina 98' car. I think it basically came to a decision that it was not worth the effort...

Being a 98' owner myself, it sounded promising, until I saw all the work/changes that would be involved....

I think I'll just try to keep patiently waiting....that and stealing my buddies HP Tuners... :wink:

wait4me
March 26th, 2005, 03:03 AM
you will need another gauge cluster also, the 98 computer has all kinds of outputs for the gauges, where the 99 up uses the serial data, and there are power and ignition wires you will have to splice together. Also delete lots of codes, I have had to do a couple of these swaps, and it was not fun, But does work... i modify the factory 99 up harnesses for 8 wire installation in any vehicle, or just plug in the plugs if on a camaro :) but it would be more if you wanted the abs stuff and emmissions ect.. and i have been just pulling out the old computer and harness and then using my modded harness and it all just plugs in and go :) I hate repinning.. lol

kp
March 26th, 2005, 06:19 AM
It would be a lot of work, since I dont need any emissions or trans stuff I would just not hook up any of those wires but after printing both the pinouts and comparing them I dont think one pin is shared between the 98s and 99up so screw that, be easier to do a 99 up harness. Cluster would be a problem also, oh well, it was just a thought :)

87gmc
March 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Man I just hope everything can get fixed I need my car running :-(

Summers here and I wanna cruise

Homeslice
April 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM
I cannot believe you 98 owners are accepting of this....

I know that does not help the 98 guys at all, but our committment has always been to get the 99-05 PCMs working correctly, then implement the 98's.

WHY???? Are we 98 guys less important? Didn't we spend the same amount of money as the 99+ guys? Again, why wasn't this specified in the website where users are shelling out the money....?

The 98' are at the top of the priority list after the current issues and full reflash are sorted out.

Again, why? You have a product that is broken and useless to everyone here who bought it for use on their 1998 LS1. An entire segment of your customer base is without ANY functionality at all and you are worried about getting some of the niceties debugged for the 99+ guys??? It doesn't make any sense to me. This should be your number 1 priority.

wait4me
April 4th, 2005, 04:10 AM
The 99 up cars are vin locked to the cable so you only get to program the set amount of cars you have payed for. The 98 computer however for the current people that have efilive it will be a FREE to program as MANY 98 cars as you want... Isnt that worth waiting for?? You can charge all your buddys a couple bucks here and there and you can have your cable payed off in no time :)
If there is something that you want to do or need a program for you 98, Just send me your pcm and ill set it up for you for free untill they are done setting up the 98 stuff.
The 98 stuff from the very begining was always said that it would be out for the public to set it up, So that is what is happing, And That being said, i feel that they are going very well. jessebubb@yahoo.com is my email addy, if you need something done just ask, ill set you up. jes

Homeslice
April 4th, 2005, 04:20 AM
The 99 up cars are vin locked to the cable so you only get to program the set amount of cars you have payed for. The 98 computer however for the current people that have efilive it will be a FREE to program as MANY 98 cars as you want... Isnt that worth waiting for?? You can charge all your buddys a couple bucks here and there and you can have your cable payed off in no time :)
If there is something that you want to do or need a program for you 98, Just send me your pcm and ill set it up for you for free untill they are done setting up the 98 stuff.
The 98 stuff from the very begining was always said that it would be out for the public to set it up, So that is what is happing, And That being said, i feel that they are going very well. jessebubb@yahoo.com is my email addy, if you need something done just ask, ill set you up. jes

Where was this said..... I bought a product and it doesn't work, plain and simple. I have a shitload of testing and such to do to get a tune hammered out, I appreciate the gesture but I'd be sending the PCM back and forth every day. It's very poor bussiness practice to say a product supports all LS1's when in reality it is for 99+ PCM's ONLY.

I don't have the time to browse the forums all day hoping to catch these little nuggets like "It won't work on your car". That needs to be in big bold print or stickied in the store. I wasn't hanging around here whenever the understanding that the CUSTOMERS would be writing the code for the product we PAID a lot of money for, so I went with what the company said in their store. I could care less about programming unlimited cars.... I care about one and I just spent a bunch of money for a useless product.

wait4me
April 4th, 2005, 04:27 AM
What mods do you have done to your car? what state are you in?

Dirk Diggler
April 4th, 2005, 04:30 AM
re·search Audio pronunciation of "research" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-sûrch, rsûrch)
n.

1. Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
2. Close, careful study.

v. re·searched, re·search·ing, re·search·es
v. intr.

To engage in or perform research.

v. tr.

1. To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner: researching the effects of acid rain.
2. To do research for: research a magazine article.

5 minutes browsing around wouldve uncovered/answered all your issues. I dont buy a product before doing a little background on it.

Homeslice
April 4th, 2005, 04:41 AM
re·search Audio pronunciation of "research" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-sûrch, rsûrch)
n.

1. Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
2. Close, careful study.

v. re·searched, re·search·ing, re·search·es
v. intr.

To engage in or perform research.

v. tr.

1. To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner: researching the effects of acid rain.
2. To do research for: research a magazine article.

5 minutes browsing around wouldve uncovered/answered all your issues. I dont buy a product before doing a little background on it.

Thanks, now I know what research means. I read every technical article on the site. Nowhere does it mention not working with 98's. A search of the forum yielded 1 article that difinitively answered my question and that was quite a few down. Apparently unlike yourself, I have work and a life and don't spend all day everyday talking to kiddies on the forums. Forums are not an excuse. This is a fairly important little detail to be left out wouldn't you agree.

Wait4me:

It has a fairly radical head and cam, and a 300 shot dry on street tires. It requires a bunch of work to get it to idle and run right and then many more hours working to get it to hook on the bottle.... right now it sits in my garage undrivable, it does me no good to get it to sit and gurgle, running on a stock tune. How far away is this update?

wait4me
April 4th, 2005, 04:58 AM
A 300 dry shot will not work, the computer only has the ability to adjust for so much in the maf tables. I deal with large high horsepower large lift motors all the time.. as well as using large shots of nitrous myself. i currently run a 408 stroker with a Very large cam and a 300 shot of nitrous... But mine is a wet kit due to the fact of the dry shot causing problems and not being accurate over 220 horsepower.. and finding out that the nozles only support 175 with 3an line and a single nozzle.. if you are close to me i will help you out.

Homeslice
April 4th, 2005, 05:10 AM
A 300 dry shot will not work, the computer only has the ability to adjust for so much in the maf tables. I deal with large high horsepower large lift motors all the time.. as well as using large shots of nitrous myself. i currently run a 408 stroker with a Very large cam and a 300 shot of nitrous... But mine is a wet kit due to the fact of the dry shot causing problems and not being accurate over 220 horsepower.. and finding out that the nozles only support 175 with 3an line and a single nozzle.. if you are close to me i will help you out.

I plan on running out of MAF table. I ran a 200+ shot (nozzle and no jet) into a stock MAF with no issues. Maxed the MAF table out and was still quite rich on a stock fuel system.

By not accurate do you mean in fuel delivery or in nitrous delivery?

wait4me
April 4th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Fuel delivery. the limit will be around 220 horsepower.... The nitrous ran out on a 3 an soloniod to nozzle line at about 175, on a single nozzle and line, on a duel nozzle and 2 3an the shot was more stable but the Soloniod itself became the limiter around 200 so i switched to Pro Series soloniods and that fixed that problem.

wait4me
April 4th, 2005, 05:19 AM
opps, forgot to say, I also had to switch to a 6an Feed line to both soloniods that fixed the surge on sytem startup.

Homeslice
April 4th, 2005, 05:30 AM
opps, forgot to say, I also had to switch to a 6an Feed line to both soloniods that fixed the surge on sytem startup.

I've got a 6an line to a single NOS Cheater solenoid into a single fan nozzle with no jet... I got just over 200 out of it with no issues at all?

I plan on running another line entirely with another Cheater and nozzle. I will also be going with a much larger fuel pump and if nessesary big injectors, but for now the stockers have been fine. Where are you shooting it, into the airbox or directly on the MAF wires?

wait4me
April 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM
i think it would be wise if you talk to the tech guys over at Nos, they will get you going. I cant see how you are able to add a 200 shot with factory injectors and still be safe. i was at 99% duty cycle on a factory motor with a 150 dry shot. With a 200 i would have ran so lean it would have blown the motor.. I had to upgrade to 36lb gtp injectors, and making 500 horsepower on a factory motor with a 200 shot i was at 89% duty cycle on those 36lb injecotors and should have moved up to 42lb.. which i did after i went to my new heads and cam combo a couple of years back, then i lowerd my shot to make the same horsepower level, which was 549 horsepower and 579 ft lbs torque... jes

Homeslice
April 4th, 2005, 06:05 AM
i think it would be wise if you talk to the tech guys over at Nos, they will get you going. I cant see how you are able to add a 200 shot with factory injectors and still be safe. i was at 99% duty cycle on a factory motor with a 150 dry shot. With a 200 i would have ran so lean it would have blown the motor.. I had to upgrade to 36lb gtp injectors, and making 500 horsepower on a factory motor with a 200 shot i was at 89% duty cycle on those 36lb injecotors and should have moved up to 42lb.. which i did after i went to my new heads and cam combo a couple of years back, then i lowerd my shot to make the same horsepower level, which was 549 horsepower and 579 ft lbs torque... jes

lol They'd have a heart attack lol

I saw 149% last time out logging on the 150 with AFR's in the 10:1's. I jetted up to bring the AFRs up to high 10:1 low 11:1 range. And this was on a stock pump and injectors. Truthfully I am getting into the end of the line as far as my stock injectors go... the orifice is just too small. I am going to see what I can get away with though before switching out for some 42lb'ers.

87gmc
April 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
So how for sure are you guys on the may 05 release date?

Blacky
April 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
So how for sure are you guys on the may 05 release date?

We are confident of a releasing the 98's sooner rather than later. Thanks to a great deal of help from some very dedicated and generous EFILive customers - you know who you are. 8)

If everything goes to plan I expect a beta version in three weeks. Then 2 weeks testing and then release.

If things go wrong (and they have in the past) then those estimates will get pushed out by how ever long it takes to fix the problems.

Now that the 1999-2005 issues are sorted, and the new V7.1.9 release is being readied for release, all our efforts can go back into getting the 98's done.

Regards
Paul

JxxxOxxxE
April 6th, 2005, 08:01 PM
awesome...I am very anxious to get to use this...I sold my LS1 Edit, so hopefully the 98' support will do me good...

J 98ta
April 28th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Things going OK ?

98 Owner patiently wating.

'J
jman812@hotmail.com

87gmc
April 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
version 7.2? Didnt see nothing about 98's :?:

Blacky
April 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM

The 98 development is running parallel to the 7.2 release.
7.2 already contains all the "smarts" needed to edit the 98 PCM files. (Actually the 98 functionality has been in since 7.1.8)

Paul

87gmc
April 28th, 2005, 04:10 PM

The 98 development is running parallel to the 7.2 release.
7.2 already contains all the "smarts" needed to edit the 98 PCM files. (Actually the 98 functionality has been in since 7.1.8)

Paul :D

Always a quick answer from Paul

Thanks guys

87gmc
May 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Ok its may wheres the update software for the 98's

J/K :D

Hope its still looking good for this month

Blacky
May 1st, 2005, 04:27 PM

:? :? :?

Actually it's only March here in NZ :lol:

You know how in "dog years" you multiply everything by seven?
Well in software development years you do the same. So something that you think will take 1 month in the real world actually takes seven months to develop. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jokes aside, it is progressing as planned. Although getting Ross to leave the custom operating systems alone and get on with the 98's, may call for a "...delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence..." (apologies to Vivian).

Paul

87gmc
May 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM

:? :? :?

Actually it's only March here in NZ :lol:

You know how in "dog years" you multiply everything by seven?
Well in software development years you do the same. So something that you think will take 1 month in the real world actually takes seven months to develop. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jokes aside, it is progressing as planned. Although getting Ross to leave the custom operating systems alone and get on with the 98's, may call for a "...delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence..." (apologies to Vivian).

Paul

Come on ross were all counting on you :P I'm just giving you guys a hard time and thanks for update as always Paul. I will soon be updating to the commercial version of the software. I'll just have to put off grocery shopping for another two weeks (dont tell the wife)

Homeslice
May 3rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Any ideas what kind of time frame we are talking about here... There seem to be a few of us here who are eagerly (read tearing their hair out) awaiting this.

87gmc
May 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
updates?

wait4me
May 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Its just a matter of time.... :) It will be done Just everyone is really busy doing all the other cool and exciting things. :)

87gmc
May 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Its just a matter of time.... :) It will be done Just everyone is really busy doing all the other cool and exciting things. :)

Paul had said may so i was just curious if it was still on track :D

Blacky
May 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Paul had said may so i was just curious if it was still on track :D

Yes it's still on track.
Paul

87gmc
May 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Any pre-released dates for 98's yet?

grump768
May 11th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Yes..please give us 98 owners some good news! :lol:

wait4me
May 11th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Guys, Things can only go so fast, The code is really difficult to set up and dissasemble, Then has to be put into the editor each table at a time, tested for accuracy and then on to the next table. So it takes time, Im sure it will be done, I think they are just making sure we have a stable and awsome release of the 99 up software first, Then on to the other stuff, The 98 stuff is being worked on, It is also public on how you guys can do it your self in the read files of the 98 cal, You can set up your own tables and set up the locations and the labels ect. You just cant read or write to the pcm thru the software yet as the program needed has not been put in the software yet... But you do have the ability to edit the 98 tun file and read it just fine when you set up your txt file. The bins are kinda a pain to get right now as you have to dissasemble the pcm and pull the flash chip and put it in a flash reader and write the edited code to it that way but it is very complicated and hope you dont ruin the pcm. I have a 98 file for anyone needing a stock one to start playing with. Thanks jes

Homeslice
May 17th, 2005, 02:06 AM
I for one couldn't care less if the thing makes coffee for the 99+ guys while they wait.... :roll: I know the guys are working hard on it and we all know they want to make us 98 guys as happy as the 99+ guys. So don't just tell us what we want to hear and then slip the date, tell us when we are going to see it and produce on that date whatever it is. We'll understand if something comes up.... just don't be vague about it.

Say "It'll be out in beta at (insert date here)" and if something comes up then say "Due to (insert problems here) our date for release of the 98 beta stuff has to be pushed back to (insert date here)". Just don't say "Well, we'll hit it hard here soon and look for it sometime next month.... or maybe the next... kinda depends." We'd all be a lot happier and you guys wouldn't have to answer a thousand "where is the 98 support" questions.

Scoota
May 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM
We'd all be a lot happier and you guys wouldn't have to answer a thousand "where is the 98 support" questions.

Good things come to those who wait (patiently).

Blacky
May 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Say "It'll be out in beta at (insert date here)" and if something comes up then say "Due to (insert problems here) our date for release of the 98 beta stuff has to be pushed back to (insert date here)".

Ok, I feel your pain, I hope this helps...

The pre-release 98 version will be available for evaluation on May 31, 2005.
It will contain the first round of calibrations and a few sample (stock) 98 bin files that you can load and review.

The next stage will be more calibrations and the PCM reading option so that you can read your own PCM. That will be pre-released on June 14, 2005.

The last stage will be the rest of the calibrations and the PCM reflashing option so that you can reprogram your own PCM. We do not have a firm date for that yet.

Those are our internal delivery dates, and if anything causes those dates to slip we will let you know. As of today, I believe we will hit those dates.

Regards
Paul

Black02SS
May 17th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Thats great to hear Paul. We ask for dates and you deliver.

Blacky
May 18th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Thats great to hear Paul. We ask for dates and you deliver.

It is easy to type in a date. Delivering on that date is the hard part.
Paul

roy
June 1st, 2005, 10:13 PM
New guy patiently waiting also .

87gmc
June 10th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks for all the updates on the 98's, We the 97/98 community appreciate it. 8)

JxxxOxxxE
June 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I havent downloaded the updates yet, is it now possible to read, edit, then reload the PCM file for the 98's, or can we just read and edit them, but not upload them yet?

Tordne
June 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM
From what I understand you are able to view a portion (estimated at 1/3) of what will be the 98 calibration.

At this stage I don't believe you can read from, and definately not write back to your 98 PCM. This is due to the bootloaders not being complete at this point. Check out this thread http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1723

87gmc
June 12th, 2005, 09:44 AM
nope you cant read and edit yet but hey it will be here before we know it

red12secz28
June 14th, 2005, 04:22 AM
It is june 14. How far away is 98 support? I need it desperatly.

wait4me
June 14th, 2005, 04:39 AM
For people that need support, i already offered to everyone that i will do theirs for free or change anything in there pcm for nothing. If it would help them while the efilive guys are setting up the 98 stuff. If you come to me in person, you can use my tech2 and can modify the bin to what ever you need untill the software is released. I Can handle any engine combo, and it will at least buy you some time untill the software is finished.

Blacky
June 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM

The timeline was to release the read bootloader today, followed by the reflash bootloader. Currently, due to personal reasons that are not appropriate to discuss in a public forum, the read bootloader is not ready.
As soon as I have a firm date for the read bootloader, I will make that date available.

Meanwhile we are continuing to add the remaining calibrations for the 98 PCM and we should be ready to release a working 98 product by the end of June 2005.

Regards
Paul

Qpred98
June 26th, 2005, 12:59 AM
8) Just keeping my eyes open. Definately in need of a better tuning setup.

Q

87gmc
June 26th, 2005, 05:08 AM

The timeline was to release the read bootloader today, followed by the reflash bootloader. Currently, due to personal reasons that are not appropriate to discuss in a public forum, the read bootloader is not ready.
As soon as I have a firm date for the read bootloader, I will make that date available.

Meanwhile we are continuing to add the remaining calibrations for the 98 PCM and we should be ready to release a working 98 product by the end of June 2005.

Regards
Paul

Hey paul hows it looking for us guys by the end of the week?

kp
June 27th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Just give me PEvsRPM and timing just so I dont have to swap cables at the track and I'll be happy for now :D

87gmc
June 28th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Just give me PEvsRPM and timing just so I dont have to swap cables at the track and I'll be happy for now :D

Just give me a few parameters so I can idle at the stop light :lol:

Homeslice
June 29th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Maybe by next year we'll have something. :roll:

I'm starting to think I should just sell my car since we'll all be driving fusion powered space cars by the time I can tune my 98.

Qpred98
July 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM
I'm just saving up my pennies for now. All I can really do at this point is read. :lol:

Blacky
July 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Nothing I can say right now will change the fact that we are very late on our delivery of 98 support. You guys have every reason to be annoyed and impatient. I'm not going to make excuses or keep repeating the "it will be ready soon" message, that just doesn't help anybody.
We have not delivered what we said we would, we know that, you know that.

From the outside looking in it may seem like the 98 support has been neglected. That is not the case, the 98 project is still one of EFILive's top 3 priorities - and personally it is my top priority.

Thanks for your patience, I know it must be wearing thin.

Regards
Paul

Qpred98
July 4th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the update Paul. I understand how things go with this car stuff. So many things to work on and only so many hours in a day. Like I said eariler, "Keeping my eyes open and saving my pennies." 8)

87gmc
July 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM
So can we get another estimate date? You had said in the past the end of june but i udnerstand the delays and how that goes. I'm hanging in there paul

Qpred98
July 5th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Hey Paul,

Also.. back in early June you annouced something about existing and new customer incentives...has that been annouced yet? Sorry, if it hasn't been annouced yet. I'm just wondering if you guys will do trade-in deals as well.

8)

Blacky
July 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
So can we get another estimate date? You had said in the past the end of june but i udnerstand the delays and how that goes. I'm hanging in there paul

I won't give you a delivery date - it would only be a guess anyway. I wanted to have the 98 stuff available in either pre-release or beta form before the end of June. I could pick an arbitrary date like July 31, but I can't guarantee that it will be ready on that date. Knowing the final few issues and problems we still face, my best estiamte is that there will be something available before the end of July, but we are all going to be focused on getting at least 98 PCM reading available before then.

Paul

Blacky
July 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Hey Paul,

Also.. back in early June you annouced something about existing and new customer incentives...has that been annouced yet? Sorry, if it hasn't been annouced yet. I'm just wondering if you guys will do trade-in deals as well.

8)

Those incentives have not been announced yet. We are waiting for the right time to run that program. It will probably be run at the same time we release the V7.2.3 update. Probably in July or August.

Regards
Paul

87gmc
July 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I won't give you a delivery date - it would only be a guess anyway. I wanted to have the 98 stuff available in either pre-release or beta form before the end of June. I could pick an arbitrary date like July 31, but I can't guarantee that it will be ready on that date. Knowing the final few issues and problems we still face, my best estiamte is that there will be something available before the end of July, but we are all going to be focused on getting at least 98 PCM reading available before then.

Paulso just reading and no writing right? how about a rough estimate on writing, reading wont do me no good :-(

Blacky
July 5th, 2005, 04:57 PM
What I meant was I am working towards having reading and reflashing by end on July. The reading option *may* be earlier that's all.

Paul

GMPX
July 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Just to let you know, one of the hold ups has been my ill health for several weeks (actually about 1 month), I'm alot better now :) .....then we are about to release another round of custom O.S's....then it's my turn to put my part into the 1998's.

Cheers,
Ross

Brains
July 5th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Been thinkin' about ya Ross, glad to hear you're doing better!

mistermike
July 6th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Been thinkin' about ya Ross, glad to hear you're doing better!Likewise here. Being sick bites, especially when you're approaching the half century mark as I am. Hey Brains, haven't seen you on the GTO board for a while. Still got your goat?

Brains
July 6th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Still got it, just not in my posession right now. Back in late MARCH my brother was driving the car, and got rear ended hard enough to shove him into an SUV. Both ends of the car got whacked.

http://brian.grimal.com/gallery/albums/album23/00003_G.sized.jpg
http://brian.grimal.com/gallery/albums/album23/00028_G.sized.jpg

I've been back to the body shop three times now, and it still hasn't been repaired properly. Its almost there, just a few body blems to work out and I can get her back. Its been a big pain dealing with them, but I'm being very insistant its done right and to my satisfaction.

Here's what she looks like now (GM stock photos):

http://brian.grimal.com/gallery/albums/album23/gto_front.jpg
http://brian.grimal.com/gallery/albums/album23/gto_back.jpg

87gmc
July 6th, 2005, 02:29 AM
What I meant was I am working towards having reading and reflashing by end on July. The reading option *may* be earlier that's all.

Paul

Well paul i can drink to that HEHE :lol:

red12secz28
July 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I am buying a 98 vette this weekend. I just wanted to know if there was going to tuning support soon so I can play around a little bit.

dlandsvZ28
July 13th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I am buying a 98 vette this weekend. I just wanted to know if there was going to tuning support soon so I can play around a little bit.

This thread started in February with a statement that tuning support for 98's would be available shortly after the first of the year.

It's now July. I suspect it will be later rather than sooner. I don't doubt it will eventually be available as stated a few posts back or that it is the best tuner and scanner on the market. The problem is that it isn't available for 98's yet.

I purchased the Flashscan upgrade back in January and have been waiting since then. I have a 98 Camaro.

IMO I wouldn't purchase it until it actually ships to those of use who are waiting with unused software that doesn't work. Might as well keep your money until then and wait like the rest of us.

Note: There are no upgrade fees like the competitors, so if you can wait, then do so and purchase Flashscan which is best tuner and scanner dollar for dollar.

joecar
July 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM
...my ill health for several weeks (actually about 1 month), I'm alot better now :) ...
Ross,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been under the weather for so long;
I'm glad you're better now, and I hope you get all the way better;
A person's health is more important than most other things;
Cheers,
Joe
:D

GMPX
July 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks Joe,

It sure set me back a fair way, there's alot of things that should have been finished by now.
New custom O.S's will be available very soon for most years (should have been about a month ago), I decided I will put on hold some of the other years just to get the 1998 stuff done, it's just been dragging on too long.

What I can tell the 1998 guys is we will not be doing custom O.S mods for the 1998 PCM.

Cheers,
Ross

Homeslice
July 14th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I hope you are feeling better and can certainly identify with losing time due to illness. My heart goes out to you guys... really it does. Other wise I certainly wouldn't have waited 6 months. We really believe in the product you guys have created. Just please, please follow through and finish the basic 98 functionality so those of us that are waiting can drive our cars again. I think all us 98 guys can quite easily say that we couldn't care less about custom OS's..... all we want to do is be able to read and flash our cars. I'm sure I'm just one of many here but I've got over 9k in mods that have been sitting most of the season useless and not winning races because I can't tune the thing.

I am happy to hear that the 98's have been given priority... hopefully it will yield results.

Best wishes from St Louis.

87gmc
July 14th, 2005, 02:36 AM
What I can tell the 1998 guys is we will not be doing custom O.S mods for the 1998 PCM.

Cheers,
Ross

Not even if we pay extra? :wink: J/K I'll be looking foward to seeing the 98 software roll out.

Also ross when do you expect the next batch of Custom O.S. to be released for 99-02 pcm?

GMPX
July 14th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Not even if we pay extra? :wink: J/K I'll be looking foward to seeing the 98 software roll out.

It's not about money :)
Making custom code changes does take a long time, unfortunatley with the 1997/8 PCM being early in the development cycle the code is quite different in areas to the later PCM's, it just makes it that much harder.

Also ross when do you expect the next batch of Custom O.S. to be released for 99-02 pcm?

A few weeks ago :(
They will probably be released when the next EFILive update is finished, don't hold me to it but I am certainly aiming for end of next week for all O.S's to be done, the next program update is in it's 4th Beta test stage so it's possibly not too far off. Oh, and it's got some nice new features and about 25 or so more tables/paramters etc.

Version 2 modded O.S is finished for 01 - 05, this adds Valet mode.
Version 3 modded O.S is finished for a few O.S's. The guys running boost will like that one.

Cheers,
Ross

red12secz28
July 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I just got my 98 nassau blue corvette coupe this weekend and now I want more power. Just patiently waiting for tuning. Hopefully tuning for 98's will be out with this new release.

red12secz28
July 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I orginally bought efilive in jan with the intention that it would have 98 support by now. I have too cars that are 98's( my camaro and corvette). I need tuning to get my camaro going and I would like to start playing with my vette. Hopefully you guys will have something for us by the end of the month.

Qpred98
July 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Just keeping it on the first page. :lol:

Homeslice
July 25th, 2005, 03:27 AM
I orginally bought efilive in jan with the intention that it would have 98 support by now. I have too cars that are 98's( my camaro and corvette). I need tuning to get my camaro going and I would like to start playing with my vette. Hopefully you guys will have something for us by the end of the month.

Better go get a Snickers bar..... cuz you're not going anywhere for a while. I'm in the same boat, I've had to borrow cars and leave my baby in the garage for six months. I'm sure that the Coffee Maker Mod and the Hold My Sandwich While I Drive Mod for the 99+ guys were absolutely critical and all but it's getting really old watching all this superfluous fluff come out for the 99+ guys while we lack even the most basic functionality.

red12secz28
July 25th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I hear yah. I have invested good money 6 months ago and keep on getting promises and push backs. I would like to see some tuning by the end of this month. All I need are basic tuning features like pe, spark, and idle adjustment.

Homeslice
July 27th, 2005, 03:00 AM
So....

Are we actually going to see anything for the 98s anytime soon. You would think that updates on where we stand would be good bussiness practice. I mean here we are at the end of the month and low and behold still I have the best looking Corvette shaped Coffe Table in the neighborhood.

Black LS1 T/A
July 27th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Cheers,
Ross

It's sad to see circumstances make it such that those who were probably the biggest F-Body fans (ran out and got the first year of the new body style) get the shortest end of the stick. :cry:

I just might go imports. :x

NOT! :lol: :P

Blacky
July 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM
And the same thing may happen to the guys buying the new LS2 now. The PCM in that vehicle is only scheduled to last 12 months before a new PCM takes over. (yes, we'll be really busy in 2005/06)

So I guess in 4-5 years we'll hear people lamenting that there is little or no support for the 2005 LS2 and the 2006-2010 guys get all the goodies.

Paul

Black LS1 T/A
July 28th, 2005, 02:46 AM
And the same thing may happen to the guys buying the new LS2 now. The PCM in that vehicle is only scheduled to last 12 months before a new PCM takes over. (yes, we'll be really busy in 2005/06)

So I guess in 4-5 years we'll hear people lamenting that there is little or no support for the 2005 LS2 and the 2006-2010 guys get all the goodies.

Paul

Yeah. I've decided not to ever buy the first year of a major production change again. Sometimes the first year has things wrong that they get right in year two, three, etc.

Homeslice
July 28th, 2005, 03:19 AM
So... when will we see some support? What is the next date we can expect the 98 PCM support?

red12secz28
July 31st, 2005, 03:35 AM
I have codes I need to delete on my new vette. Can you guys give us a time frame or at least tell us were you guys are at.

Homeslice
August 1st, 2005, 08:40 AM
The EFILive software has been configured to handle the 98 bin files and to display the 98 calibrations.
Now we just need input from the EFILive users in order to build up a calibration definition. And write the bootloaders.

Regards
Paul

OK guys... it has officially been six months since you told us it was comming "next week". Now is the time people, either get the product done or refund our money. I'm not an investor in your company... I'm a paying customer who didn't recieve what I paid for, you can't just hold on to my money indefinately and not be obligated to continually give status.

I'm tired of waiting idly by while you guys laugh all the way to the bank. You guys have cost me so much money it makes me sick. First you don't tell me it doesn't support 98's, then you tell me a week until the upgrade... and now $9,000 US dollars in mods and my 30k+ car have been sitting in my garage for more than 6 months missing race after race now while you say "next week, next week". NO MORE BULLSHIT NO MORE EXCUSES, JUST GET IT DONE.....NOW!

If you can't do what you say then refund our money and we'll go elsewhere but you cannot hold our hard earned funds hostage to your own lack of ability to produce. GET WITH IT OR GET OUT OF IT!

Mike

Dirk Diggler
August 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM

Regards
Paul

OK guys... it has officially been six months since you told us it was comming "next week". Now is the time people, either get the product done or refund our money. I'm not an investor in your company... I'm a paying customer who didn't recieve what I paid for, you can't just hold on to my money indefinately and not be obligated to continually give status.

I'm tired of waiting idly by while you guys laugh all the way to the bank. You guys have cost me so much money it makes me sick. First you don't tell me it doesn't support 98's, then you tell me a week until the upgrade... and now $9,000 US dollars in mods and my 30k+ car have been sitting in my garage for more than 6 months missing race after race now while you say "next week, next week". NO MORE BULLSHIT NO MORE EXCUSES, JUST GET IT DONE.....NOW!

If you can't do what you say then refund our money and we'll go elsewhere but you cannot hold our hard earned funds hostage to your own lack of ability to produce. GET WITH IT OR GET OUT OF IT!

Mike

If its that important to you why not sell the cable and buy a software package you are comfortable with. I am frankly tired of reading your complaints you have other options and no one is putting a gun to your head telling you to wait. You buying the software without RESEARCHING the product prior to you purchase has cost YOU to be down for six months. Sell the damn cable and be done with it.....

Blacky
August 1st, 2005, 09:43 AM

Regards
Paul

Mike

I sympathise with you, if I were in your position I would be unhappy as well. I won't make any bones about it, the situation is unacceptable for people who purchased EFILive for their 98's.

Because of that, if any EFILive customer would prefer a refund on their FlashScan that was purchased for use on a 98 PCM and has not yet been used to tune any PCM, then EFILive will provide a full refund.

Send your unused, undamaged and in "good working condition", EFILive FlashScan unit and all cables and connectors to:
EFILive Limited
PO Box 54-160
Bucklands Beach 1730
Auckland, New Zealand

The refund amount will be your original purchase price and does not include shipping, import duties or other similar charges.

The FlashScan unit stores the number of reflash attempts. Only FlashScan units that have zero reflash attempts will be considered for a refund. You can view the number of reflash attempts in the Tuning Tool's Help>FlashScan PCM licensing... window in the Reflash counter field.

This offer does not indicate that EFILive will not be supporting the 98's.
We are continuing to develop 98 support for our customers and hope to deliver 98 support as soon as we can.

Regards
Paul

87gmc
August 1st, 2005, 10:10 AM

Regards
Paul

Mike

I sympathise with you, if I were in your position I would be unhappy as well. I won't make any bones about it, the situation is unacceptable for people who purchased EFILive for their 98's.

Because of that, if any EFILive customer would prefer a refund on their FlashScan that was purchased for use on a 98 PCM and has not yet been used to tune any PCM, then EFILive will provide a full refund.

Send your unused, undamaged and in "good working condition", EFILive FlashScan unit and all cables and connectors to:
EFILive Limited
PO Box 54-160
Bucklands Beach 1730
Auckland, New Zealand

The refund amount will be your original purchase price and does not include shipping, import duties or other similar charges.

The FlashScan unit stores the number of reflash attempts. Only FlashScan units that have zero reflash attempts will be considered for a refund. You can view the number of reflash attempts in the Tuning Tool's Help>FlashScan PCM licensing... window in the Reflash counter field.

This offer does not indicate that EFILive will not be supporting the 98's.
We are continuing to develop 98 support for our customers and hope to deliver 98 support as soon as we can.

Regards
Paul

So I guess it not coming out in this release. I know you said you were aiming for july 31 but not to hold you to it. Any new estimates just asking because im tempted to send my pcm to jesse (wait4me) so he can at least get me idling so i can drive my car around.

Qpred98
August 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Oh...damn! :cry:

Blacky
August 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Please don't take the above offer to mean that the 98 support is being pushed back or in some way made less of a priority. We would have delivered 98 support months ago, except for a single issue that we thought would be trivial to fix. It has turned out to be a non-trivial thorn in our side.

Once we overcome that issue we can release 98 support.
If we solve the problem tomorrow then 98 support is only a week or two away. If we don't solve the problem for another 3 weeks then 98 suppor is a month away. That's why it is so difficult to commit to a date.

We made the refund offer because that was the fair thing to do. Not because anything has changed in our plans to deliver 98 support.

Regards
Paul

joecar
August 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM
Question:
Is there any way to adapt a 2001 or 2002 PCM to a 1998 F-body...?
I imagine it isn't too costly nor too difficult, and it would bring the benefits of a later model PCM; has anyone considered doing this...?

Tordne
August 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Question:
Is there any way to adapt a 2001 or 2002 PCM to a 1998 F-body...?
I imagine it isn't too costly nor too difficult, and it would bring the benefits of a later model PCM; has anyone considered doing this...?

It looks like this was discussed earlier in this thread.

Looks like there are other considerations (like the dash no longer working) outside of the large re-wiring job.

wait4me
August 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM
I can more than handle large pcm calibrations via mail. I do it every single day. I had stated earlier that i will program and set up anyones 96 to 98 pcm for them. It will be 100% drivable and The more info you send me with your efilive scanner the better. I have 10 spare 98 computers so downtime is not an issue. I dont mind doing what you need done.

Anything that efilive has been doing is well worth the wait and sometimes the longer you have to wait the better it gets.

This offer for me to flash your vehicles computers stands for any one on this site if you purchased flashscan.

I will even cover the return shipping. I dont see it getting better than that for an offer.

There is no reason for anyones downtime, Im going to missouri in two weeks so i can do yours in person if you would like, Ill bring my tech2 and will program it to what ever you need.

dlandsvZ28
August 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM
I can more than handle large pcm calibrations via mail. I do it every single day. I had stated earlier that i will program and set up anyones 96 to 98 pcm for them. It will be 100% drivable and The more info you send me with your efilive scanner the better. I have 10 spare 98 computers so downtime is not an issue. I dont mind doing what you need done.

Anything that efilive has been doing is well worth the wait and sometimes the longer you have to wait the better it gets.

This offer for me to flash your vehicles computers stands for any one on this site if you purchased flashscan.

I will even cover the return shipping. I dont see it getting better than that for an offer.

Tip: There are customers waiting in KC for tunes. The only reputable tuner for LS1's is booked into September. So there might be other interested in your offer as well, if your visit to Missouri is close to KCity.

There is no reason for anyones downtime, Im going to missouri in two weeks so i can do yours in person if you would like, Ill bring my tech2 and will program it to what ever you need.

I have a 98 Camaro with complete H/C along with a DSC1 ATI charger. It's got every upgrade possible on chassis and motor except an upgraded short block.

Where in Missouri do you plan to be? I live in Kansas City, but might be willing to drive my car to a location to meet with you to take a look at my tuneup.

The last tuneup was done by a shop in Indiana who installed the ATI charger, but the tune is not right. It's got a dead spot and bogs bad, it also kicks back and surges bad because the TQ is locking and locking, I'm getting knock retard, and at times the timing is up to 41 degrees. I've scanned a few times with EFI. Driveability is terrible.

I essentially haven't driven the car since we returned from Indiana other than to correct an overheating problem with the ATI (which we fixed with a more efficient SPAL fan) because I don't trust the tune. I too, have been waiting for EFI live for 98's with hopes I can fix some of this stuff myself with the help of you and others on this forum.

So...I'm like the others, I need to fix my car so I can drive, but I don't want to spend additional dollars for another tuning software since I own EFI flashscan. I recall I was customer # 12 last December.

BTW...I don't expect anything free and am willing to pay you the normal tuning fee, if it's right and you can fix my issues.

If you are interested, please email me your phone and we can talk.

Tip: The only reputable LS1 Tuner in the KC area is booked until well into September, so there might be others who are interested in your offer if your visit to Missouri is close to Kansas City.

wait4me
August 1st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Ill be in st louis from a friday till saturday, im thinking it will be two weekends from now. I will bring all my stuff, and just make sure you have a wideband o2 sensor bung installed so we can go do some driving on the highways. :) My number is on my website. Im doing everyones for free as promised, and your tune will be perfect when im done.

Tordne
August 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM
So, when are you planning a trip out to New Zealand :D :D :D

Homeslice
August 2nd, 2005, 02:12 AM

Regards
Paul

Mike

If its that important to you why not sell the cable and buy a software package you are comfortable with. I am frankly tired of reading your complaints you have other options and no one is putting a gun to your head telling you to wait. You buying the software without RESEARCHING the product prior to you purchase has cost YOU to be down for six months. Sell the damn cable and be done with it.....

There was no DISCLAIMER on the site that mentioned it. MY CASE was the REASON they put it there. And since we're being frank here I really couldn't care what you're tired of. Do you even OWN a 98? And as far as no one holding a gun to my head.... would you care to give me the cost of a tuner that works? NO... I didn't think so. You have no idea of what my situation is or any conversations I've had with other staff on this subject. So my suggestion to you is that if you are tired of listening then don't click this thread.

wait4me:

Thanks for your generous offer. But I don't want to suck up all your time here in St Louis. My car will be a nightmare to tune with no sensors. At this point I'm about ready to rip the PCM out and replace it with a tuned port computer. Thanks very much though.

Blacky:

I appreciate the offer of a refund however I wanted to see it work and used the cable on a friends Z28 to get some experience, obviously thinking the upgrade was comming soon, so I can't take advantage of it. The main issue here is that you guys haven't been keeping us up to date. You tell us it'll be ready in two weeks and then we don't hear anything for a month and then it'll be ready in two weeks again. All the while other products are litterally streaming out (custom OS, upgrades for later years). It seems to me that the 98 situation hasn't slowed down any of your other projects which tells me that you aren't putting any additional resources into getting us up and running. We still don't know what problem is keeping this from happening... there are other tuners that have had no trouble flashing 98 PCMs (LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, ect). What is the problem?

GMPX
August 2nd, 2005, 03:13 AM
The main issue here is that you guys haven't been keeping us up to date. You tell us it'll be ready in two weeks and then we don't hear anything for a month and then it'll be ready in two weeks again. All the while other products are litterally streaming out (custom OS, upgrades for later years). It seems to me that the 98 situation hasn't slowed down any of your other projects which tells me that you aren't putting any additional resources into getting us up and running. We still don't know what problem is keeping this from happening... there are other tuners that have had no trouble flashing 98 PCMs (LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, ect). What is the problem?

Several things here.
When we first started the process of doing the tuning tool we at EFILive decided we were not going to do the 1998 PCM knowing how different it was compared to what we were used to working with (the1999+ PCM), we didn't think we would ever be able to support the 1998 PCM to the level the 1999+ PCM is at now.

Then came the many Emails begging us to support 1998's. We (myself in particular) still did not want to direct our limited resources to a PCM for a 1year run when there was still much to do for the 1999 - 2005 LSx variants and impending LS2.

So then about 10 or so 1998 owners stepped up and said they will do a group development for the 1998's, similar to what HPTuners was doing when it was the PCM Hacking Forum, a bunch of people trying to figure out how things worked.
There was allot of enthusiastic helpers but only a few offered any worthwhile information when it came to the actual programming and tuning of the PCM. This did drag on for some period of time and in the end it was evident that it was never going to get finished.
Whilst all that was happening we were busy enhancing the software for the many existing customers, then 1999+ guys started asking for modified OS's etc.

The situation we are facing right now is the 1998 PCM project has been put back onto us 100%, we understand we need to get this done for you 1998 owners, perhaps our major fault was not to make it clear that it maybe some significant amount of time before the 1998 PCM is done, actually, even we thought it would be finished by now.
We have been working on the 1998's, creating definitions for the tuner takes along time, what makes it worse is the 1998 code is different to the later PCM, this has not helped the process. Totally different hardware and OBD-II commands for the 1998 PCM do not help either.

Where does that leave this? Well, if it's any consolation, after the latest version is released with the new range of custom O.S's we will be pushing back the new NOS custom O.S's and ongoing LS2 development to get the 1998 PCM done.

So what's the problem you ask....nothing technical is ever easy, if it was then NASA would now know by now how to make heat tiles stay in tact!!.

The 1998 PCM is a learning curve for us, perhaps Edit and Tuners had been dealing with them months before they released their software?.

As far as costing you money Homeslice, I am sorry you feel that way, but the offer has been made for a refund so you can go and purchase Edit or HPTuners, I don't want to be responsable for making you feel sick, so I personally don't care you tuned another car with it already, if you still want the refund it's all yours.

Cheers,
Ross

kp
August 2nd, 2005, 04:42 AM
I think it would be more fair to refund the purchase price less 100.00 per license used but thats just my opinion, if you give away a license for free thats not Paul's problem.

Honestly, and I own a 98, you guys probably would have been better off never supporting 97-98s and making that clear from the beginning and it would saved everyone a bunch of time.

Dirk, When I bought flashscan I never realized that 98s werent supported, John Skiba, one of the Beta testers, told me what great software it was and I bought his 98 so he knew what year car I had. So jumping on people for not checking this forum and buying this anyway when it was never stated it DIDNT work on 98s when you pay for the thing at the time is not called for - the guy is mad and righfully so. Too many 'next weeks' promised and nothing delivered, thats why he didnt give up and send it back months ago.

I really like EFIlive, I had it since day one and was always impressed by the upgrade policy and software upgrades but honestly the 98 thing has me a little frustrated, not pissed, but frustrated. I still use the scanner and to be honest the black box logging is worth the upgrade price I paid. I charged a couple guys 100 each for a license and tuned their car so really I have 150.00 in the thing which is a steal IMO just for the scanner. But I also have HPT for 98s so I have a different outlook then the guys that cant drive their 98s, have 600.00 invested and no way to tune their car.

I have pretty much given up on tuning my car with flashscan, HPT did what I needed to do and so would edit. Honestly I could care less about all the auto this and that BS, all I want to do is adjust my timing and PE at the track without switching cables :) I always recommend your tuning package when I can but I'll be the first to say if you have a 98 stay away for now. You would be amazed how many 98s are out there plus most of the aftermarket conversion harnesses use 98 PCMs.

Dirk Diggler
August 2nd, 2005, 05:06 AM
Dirk, When I bought flashscan I never realized that 98s werent supported, John Skiba, one of the Beta testers, told me what great software it was and I bought his 98 so he knew what year car I had. So jumping on people for not checking this forum and buying this anyway when it was never stated it DIDNT work on 98s when you pay for the thing at the time is not called for - the guy is mad and righfully so. Too many 'next weeks' promised and nothing delivered, thats why he didnt give up and send it back months ago.

I understand your complaints and frustrations my post to Homeslice stemmed from his attitude and lack of class IMHO

With his tone and constant moaning about the situation I was curious as to why he hasnt sold it yet. His post implies a lot which i felt was unfair to the EFILive crew as they (I am pretty sure) are working hard on getting it done.

kp
August 2nd, 2005, 06:19 AM
With his tone and constant moaning about the situation I was curious as to why he hasnt sold it yet. His post implies a lot which i felt was unfair to the EFILive crew as they (I am pretty sure) are working hard on getting it done.

Lack of results tend to make people piss and moan ;)

I'm not implying no one is working hard, but when you see all these cool new things coming out and 'some' 98 funtionality was supposed to be after 7.1.9 you gotta think maybe no cares about the 98s. The feature wars are all fine and dandy but the competition can do one pretty important thing 98 owners are looking for that Flashscan cant, tune them.

Black LS1 T/A
August 2nd, 2005, 06:22 AM
...This offer does not indicate that EFILive will not be supporting the 98's.

Regards
Paul

Whew! :lol: Glad to hear THAT! :wink:

I'm not happy with the delay, but I still believe in the EFILive product and want to use it's tuning capability. Everytime I review a newer release, I get jealous looking at the interface.

This is the way I would design an interface for a tuning tool.

I want it. 8)

Black LS1 T/A
August 2nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
So then about 10 or so 1998 owners stepped up and said they will do a group development for the 1998's, similar to what HPTuners was doing when it was the PCM Hacking Forum, a bunch of people trying to figure out how things worked.
There was allot of enthusiastic helpers but only a few offered any worthwhile information when it came to the actual programming and tuning of the PCM. This did drag on for some period of time and in the end it was evident that it was never going to get finished.
Cheers,
Ross

Well... I've asked over and over HOW to help pull this information from a bin file derived from a '98 PCM, and get NO answer back! I'm a programmer, have a Hex editor and even have a generic interface from B&B where I could read my PCM. I know I could do this ish if given some information! 8)

- Is it a matter of finding certain info that has specific identifiers, and trying to pull the data?

- If so, can you provide a sample pull of information from a 1999 or later PCM so one like me can pull the logical inferences together to accomplish the task.

I've developed the opinion you are afraid to help us help you. I don't understand it. :?

Give me the instructions I need to help and I WILL HELP!

Homeslice
August 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM

I understand your complaints and frustrations my post to Homeslice stemmed from his attitude and lack of class IMHO

I love getting comments on my lack of class by a guy named Dirk Diggler lol. Look, I posted on average once a month for five months with no answers and that's constant moaning??? Please. Some of us don't drive simple bolt on cars that make barely 400hp and can't continue to drive them with only a little erratic idle and bad gas mileage or surging. There is no other combo like mine in the world.. not ONE. You have no idea what my situation is and after six months of no information and false promises yeah... I might be upset.. If it takes a lack of class to finally get somebody to answer a damned post then so be it... put that in your pipe.

As far as selling it is concerned. Whos gonna buy it from me for full price when they could purchase it new??? What economics class did you fail? I'd lose my shirt on it since I sold my other tuner package to afford to purchase it in the first place and I'd still be without a tuner or a way to purchase one.

Blacky
August 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
The feature wars are all fine and dandy but the competition can do one pretty important thing 98 owners are looking for that Flashscan cant, tune them.

Ow, just - can't - quite - reach - that - knife - in - my - back.......

Seriously though - that is probably the most succinct point anyone has made yet. 100% true and 100% relevant. We hear you loud and clear.

Regards
Paul

kp
August 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
The feature wars are all fine and dandy but the competition can do one pretty important thing 98 owners are looking for that Flashscan cant, tune them.

Ow, just - can't - quite - reach - that - knife - in - my - back.......

Seriously though - that is probably the most succinct point anyone has made yet. 100% true and 100% relevant. We hear you loud and clear.

Regards
Paul

LOL Paul - not really a knife in the back - more like a kick in the nuts, you knew it was coming ;)

The scanner is fine, the tuner can do anything anyone possibly wanted to do - let some of us paid customers have a chance to use the tuner. Bad enough we will never see any custom operating sytems or any 2bar stuff but the ability not to even do basic tuning is pretty frustrating.

Blacky
August 2nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Well... I've asked over and over HOW to help pull this information from a bin file derived from a '98 PCM, and get NO answer back! I'm a programmer, have a Hex editor and even have a generic interface from B&B where I could read my PCM. I know I could do this ish if given some information! 8)

- Is it a matter of finding certain info that has specific identifiers, and trying to pull the data?

- If so, can you provide a sample pull of information from a 1999 or later PCM so one like me can pull the logical inferences together to accomplish the task.

I've developed the opinion you are afraid to help us help you. I don't understand it. :?

Give me the instructions I need to help and I WILL HELP!

The comment about being afraid to help you to help us is sort of true. We are not about to release our PCM reverse engineering techniques and data that we have spent years of blood sweat and tears figuring out.
It's not that we don't want our customer to have that information, it's just that there are *many* other wanna-be's out there who would take the info and create a competing product.

The type of help we were looking for at the start was from tuners who had been manually editing the 98 PCM binary images using a hex editor. Such tuners know exactly which data they change to achieve certain results. In return for tuners sharing that information with us we will give back the 98 calibrations definitions fully configured for EFILive free.

However, only 2 tuners cared to share any information with us. So at this stage we have abandoned the "EFILive user community supported 98 definitions" project and are doing the entire 98 definitions ourselves (more blood sweat and tears - mostly tears), with the help of the 2 tuners. Yet we still intend to release the 98 support free of charge.

On a completely different subject (I know this won't help the 98 cause, but)...
There are other things that we could use some help with. The most important one at the moment is a program that merges one or more Scan Tool log files together into one large log file.
EFILive will provide *all* the information needed to write the merge utility including API's and *.efi file format information.
Interested?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
August 2nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
LOL Paul - not really a knife in the back - more like a kick in the nuts, you knew it was coming ;)

Too true.

kp
August 2nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
I'm not trying to bust your balls Paul, honestly I think the free 98 thing was a mistake since free long term help is hard to find. I would have gladly saved a license for my 98 or paid for one if it would have meant 98 support 3-4 months sooner. I do appreciate you not just abandoning the whole 98 thing because of it.

I really think you are leaving a lot of potential customers out of the loop in the US, every cable is a potential 2300.00 almost pure profit return so I would think the more out there the better :) Heck I'm about to paypal you another 100.00 for another license so us 98 guys arent that bad..

joecar
August 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
A few comments:
0. Cable is purchased; software is free.
1. 98's are the minority.
2. EFILive were originally not going to support 98's.
3. A small number 98 owners pleaded and begged for support.
4. EFILive graciously went ahead and started adding code for 98's.
5. Said 98's owners pledged their help; very few delivered.
6. 98 support is interfering with the rest of us (who have been very patient with all the whinging and complaining).
7. All the whinging and complaining is slowing down Paul, Ross, and others who have to take time to provide answers on demand.
8. You spend $9K in mods, but you can't afford a tuning package... that doesn't make sense (you failed to plan your project).
9. EFILive isn't making money from 98 support; instead it is costing them.
10. EFILive are doing it for free.
11. Jesse (wait4me) graciously offered to program 98 PCMs to your liking for free, and I heard you refuse; seems like you waived your right to say anything more henceforth.
12. I have heard mostly whinging and complaints (some 98 owners have provided words of encouragement, you know who you are, and I take my hat off to you).
13. If you think the competition can do it, then go for it.
14. Homeslice, Ross offered you an unconditional refund, so the rest of us are hoping you'll take it and leave.
15. The 98 F-body PCM/OS is GM's mistake, not EFILive's.
16. If it's a problem, then purchasing a 98 is your mistake, no one else's.
17. I could go on...

I hope that 98 support doesn't mess things up for the rest of us.

Dirk Diggler
August 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
As far as selling it is concerned. Whos gonna buy it from me for full price when they could purchase it new??? What economics class did you fail? I'd lose my shirt on it since I sold my other tuner package to afford to purchase it in the first place and I'd still be without a tuner or a way to purchase one.

Why would you expect full price on something that is obviously used. Youve spent 9 grand in mods on a 30k car and cant afford to eat 100-200 so you can stop crying. If you sold your other tuner package (that WORKED mind you) and didnt read the forums/research BEFORE you purchased the product looks like you are the foolish one who failed a lot of basic principles taught in school. I wouldve loved to see what one of you reasearch papers consisted of...

And what does my handle have to do with class "Homeslice"

Black LS1 T/A
August 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
On a completely different subject (I know this won't help the 98 cause, but)...
There are other things that we could use some help with. The most important one at the moment is a program that merges one or more Scan Tool log files together into one large log file.
EFILive will provide *all* the information needed to write the merge utility including API's and *.efi file format information.
Interested?

Regards
Paul

Absolutely... sounds like a piece of cake. :D

Even though it won't help '98, perhaps it will free up your time... and it should be fun.

Yes... I'll help. 8)

PM me what I need, or if you need to, email: MovingTarget@BlackLS1TA.com

Dirk Diggler
August 3rd, 2005, 02:01 AM
Is the merge program language specific. I would also like the details and a set of requirements (if they have been drafted) so I can give this a whirl....

Homeslice
August 3rd, 2005, 02:22 AM
A few comments:
0. Cable is purchased; software is free.
2. EFILive were originally not going to support 98's.
4. EFILive graciously went ahead and started adding code for 98's.
6. 98 support is interfering with the rest of us (who have been very patient with all the whinging and complaining).
7. All the whinging and complaining is slowing down Paul, Ross, and others who have to take time to provide answers on demand.
8. You spend $9K in mods, but you can't afford a tuning package... that doesn't make sense (you failed to plan your project).
11. Jesse (wait4me) graciously offered to program 98 PCMs to your liking for free, and I heard you refuse; seems like you waived your right to say anything more henceforth.
12. I have heard mostly whinging and complaints (some 98 owners have provided words of encouragement, you know who you are, and I take my hat off to you).
13. If you think the competition can do it, then go for it.
14. Homeslice, Ross offered you an unconditional refund, so the rest of us are hoping you'll take it and leave.
15. The 98 F-body PCM/OS is GM's mistake, not EFILive's.
17. I could go on...

lol I was going to write a long post addressing each of your statements individually but by reading that dribble I realized the kind of person I was dealing with.... You actually think that you can tune a car in a weekend or by mail order and be fast. Enough said, have a nice 11 second life Captain bolt-on.

Dirk:

I want to ask you a question... before you bought your dish washing machine, did you go to the Whirlpool forums? I didn't know to ask specifically if it worked with 98's since every other major tuner supports them. Either way EFILive conceded that it was wrong to not mention it in the store so what was your point again?

Black LS1 T/A
August 3rd, 2005, 02:32 AM
...lol I was going to write a long post addressing each of your statements individually but by reading that dribble I realized the kind of person I was dealing with.... You actually think that you can tune a car in a weekend or by mail order and be fast. Enough said, have a nice 11 second life Captain bolt-on.

I'll do it. :lol:

A few comments:

That is T-total f'king bullsh..!

Let's look at just Camaros:

1998 A total of 48,490 Camaros were built for for the United States.
1999 A total of 42,098 Camaros were built for the United States
2000 A total of 45,417 Camaros were built for worldwide distribution.
2001 A total of 29,009 Camaros were built for worldwide distribution.
2002 A total of 42,098 Camaros were built for the United States.

Here are a few MORE comments you pulled out your... uh.. rectum ;)

When a vote was taken, there were more 98's that voiced a desire than any other year!

Check Blacky's email. Two TUNERS delivered.
The rest of us have been begging for the toils to help over, and over, and over... and over again.

It cost to develop the software to support YOUR car too, Dr. Logic. '98's make up an equal or GREATER number of cars for their market as any other year car.

where do you come up with this ish!??
I paid for the interface, just as you did. :roll:

While gracious of Jesse, that's not enough for someone in the market for a tuning tool that they can tweak their car as they mod or conditions change. Come on, guy! :? {Knocks on noggin'}

Your sweet words here do little to salve the lies you just told. :evil:

Oh! So the ones who were so enthusiastic about the F-Body, that we bought the FIRST year the LS1 was availablw, we are mistakes? MISTAKES! I hate your guts already! :P :wink:

17. I could go on...

At this point, I hope not! My boots aren't high enough to compensate for the rise of ish I'm shoveling from your comments now!

Something is interfering with your intelligence. :shock: Jack... you don't know what patience is until you wait eight months for something others have now!
I've heard the '99 and above whiners on every little feature the were chomping at the bit for!
You would be whining your ass off right now, and a few others; I'd bet money on it!

You know what? Your inaccurate, illogical post REALLY hasn't helped boost credibility for the lack of '98 support. You should have left that to Blacky. ;)

GMPX
August 3rd, 2005, 03:38 AM
Guys, please don't get stuck into each other, we don't want to have to lock this thread. Both the 1998 and 1999+ posters are all making valid points, lets leave it at that.

Homeslice, I think it is absolutely possible to tune a car with your combo in a weekend. One of our Beta testers here in Australia (Chipmaster) told me he recently tuned a S.D, Vortec blown car using our 2bar O.S's in under half a day, sure he is no novice to tuning and that helps, but, with all the features we have been adding in to the editor and scantool to make the PC do all the hard work for you, how else could you fully map a VE table to perfection so fast, I am not rubbing salt into the wound, but these are not impress your friends or 'out feature' the competition type additions, they are designed so workshops that have invested thousands into our software can save time and money.
I can guarantee you an experienced tuner using LS1Edit will not be able to map a VE table even close to what a Flashscan user could even with just basic tuning knowledge.

We are not blind to what is posted on forums other than ours, posts like why can't we have 2bar, why do we have a backup VE table, why don't we have all these extra tables my buddys 2002 Camaro has, it all comes from 1998 owners.
I do really feel sorry for the 1998 crowd because your PCM is limited by it's design and the program within it is first release from GM so things like how the knock is handled is just not as good as the later PCM's, same for the fueling.
As of now we are upto over 600 tables and parameters for the 1999+ PCM in the editor, I honestly can't see the 1998 PCM ever reaching that level, that is why it was to be offered as an unlimited usage setup.

As far as the numbers, I can assure you, the number of Emails we get for 1998 info v's 1999+ makes them very much a minority. In fact we would get more equiries form the S/C 3800 drivers (we have no plans to support them at this stage).

Homeslice, if you really, really need to get that thing tuned then the offer of your full refund still stands and I totally understand if you purchased Edit or HPT, you have waited long enough and can't be expected to wait forever. I also think you should see just how much 1999+ users are enjoying the software and picture yourself there as fast as we can get it done. I've already said we have pushed back alot of other 'more popular' things to get the 1998's finished.

Cheers,
Ross

Dirk Diggler
August 3rd, 2005, 03:49 AM
Dirk:

I want to ask you a question... before you bought your dish washing machine, did you go to the Whirlpool forums? I didn't know to ask specifically if it worked with 98's since every other major tuner supports them. Either way EFILive conceded that it was wrong to not mention it in the store so what was your point again?

No but i went to Sears website and looked at ALL the dishwashers they had and picked ones that would suit my tastes. THEN I clicked on the compare feature list and decided what features were most important to me. Before I purchased the dishwasher I walked into the Sears store and looked at it just to make positively sure I wouldnt bitch and moan once I got it to the house or having to blame Sears for my inadequate researching skills. Point is I exhausted all of my information gateways before I bought the dishwasher and no I didnt go to a Whirlpool site but I did view the dishwasher in CONSUMER REPORTS along with the information provided by Sears.

PS

How many 97-98 Corvettes were sold compared to 99+ vettes. Or LS1 GTO's in 04 or Silverados that dont use the 97-98 OS's, Surburbans and the list goes on.

kp
August 3rd, 2005, 03:51 AM
LOL Mike,

Actully there were 34,000 LS1 F-bodies alone made in 98 for the US market, so if only 2% of people bought the interface that would be a throwaway $408,000.00 plus probably another 100K a year in spare license and workshop upgrades. Chump change to some but it can make a few SoCal mortgage payments.

98 F-bodies are probably one of the most modded cars around here because they are cheap, plentiful and well out of warranty. I tune a LOT of cars, right NOW I tune just as many 98 f-bodies as all other years, maybe more. My point is you want to get the interface out there in people's hands. Not to mention LS1swaps are getting more and more popular and 99% of the swap harnesses use the 98 PCM for some odd reason.

I'm glad some people are so selfish they can deny people that paid the same money as them even basic tuning because of their greed and non-ability to tune a car without auto everything. Gee, my street driven POS 98 supercharged car runs in the 9s in 85 degree temps with NO auto tuning, NO 2 bar etc, pretty amazing for someone that was stupid enough to buy a 98 in the first place eh?

My car will also be featured in a major magazine and there will be mention and a very nice pic of the flashscan interface and what it does for me. So instead of driving away potential 98 customers with wonderful posts like yours joecar I am actually bringing potential customers (even bastard 98 owners) that have no clue this forum or product even exists. As much as I would have liked to say I tuned the car with EFIlive I had to say I used HPT to do it since EFIlive doesnt do 98s.

I meant no offense to Paul or the team that is getting this done, it just needs to get done. I dont work for EFIlive and have never recieved anything for 'free' except outstanding service. If it were were me I would be concentrating on LS2 product, screw you 99-04 guys LOL. I'm sure 98 stuff is a pain right now and it was a pain to every other tuner package but they did it, but the good thing about it when its done its done.

And BTW its whining joecar, if you are going to do it so eloquently you may as well learn to spell it properly.

If I were a moderator here I would shut this thread down, problem with big threads like this is no one bothers to read if from the beginning and see what is really going on. Put a locked sticky on top and let Paul update the 98 situation once a week or so and that will do more to keep us informed then this stuff..

Black LS1 T/A
August 3rd, 2005, 04:17 AM
As far as the numbers, I can assure you, the number of Emails we get for 1998 info v's 1999+ makes them very much a minority.

This spin is mis-informational.

Sure, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 SHOULD make 1998 a minority.
By the same token, 2001 would be a minority compared to 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002.

But, 1998 is no less quantitive than any other single year of F-body.
And yeah... after telling us over and over, at this point, that you won't support 98's but minimally, who but us die-hards would keep emailing you? 8)

In fact we would get more equiries form the S/C 3800 drivers (we have no plans to support them at this stage).

And I'm sure emails from THEM will diminish if they begin to realize their pleas will go unheeded. :roll: :P

Cheers
Ross

Nothing "cheery" about it for us 98er's, I'm afraid... :cry:

Black LS1 T/A
August 3rd, 2005, 04:27 AM
LOL Mike,

Actully there were 34,000 LS1 F-bodies alone made in 98 for the US market, so if only 2% of people bought the interface that would be a throwaway $408,000.00 plus probably another 100K a year in spare license and workshop upgrades. Chump change to some but it can make a few SoCal mortgage payments.

Sorry, kp... I didn't have comparison data across all the years for LS1's, but did see some for ALL Camaros across all years. At least it was a better frame of reference than a flat-out "pull 'er out my chute" statement made by whats-his-name. :lol:

We 98's want equal opportunity! Equal representation! :D

I'm calling the ACLU and reporting you guys! :twisted:

Black LS1 T/A
August 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
... As far as the numbers, I can assure you, the number of Emails we get for 1998 info v's 1999+ makes them very much a minority.

Seriously, GMPX, if they are like me, it has been most '98 owners' civility and patience that keeps them from constantly emailing and posting. Perhaps they, like myself, admire your products and your support. This thread, and the turn it has taken, is perhaps the result frustration and chafing of patience we feel. Imagine us waiting weeks or MONTHS to ask for a status, out of consideration for your hard work.

If another "1999 and upper" owner (who posts constantly for "this" feature and "that") talks about how we are whining and being impatient, I think I'll choke my computer screen's stand. ;) )

Do not figure out ways to rationalize and blind yourself to the fact there is a proportionate number of '98 guys that want and NEED every feature.

We held on because you guys said the limitations for us 98 guys were limited only by our participation. But, you won't let us participate. If you tell me FlashScan will be crippled compared to the features HPT delivers, or is likely to deliver, I'll turn to them today.

It seems like the more this is discussed, the farther down the slippery slope of "we won't do this, we won't do that" things go. But, tell me I've waited eight months for a better editing tool only to go purchase what I could have had nearly a year ago, I won't be a very happy camper with ANY EFILive products.

I think a decision to exclude the '98 segment of the LS1 population when other's manage to support 98's will really hurt you guys in the long run. Don't abandon 98's and withhold the goodies you pass out to everyone else from us.

As for locking this thread... how about "warning" those inflammatory posts from those who want to bash us for "whining". We have a stake in this, too. the thread is relevant... giving us a status, one that moves... is relevant; it's not unreasonable.

Blacky
August 3rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
I didn't want to lock it - but it has gone way off track.

I have started a new thread for updates on 98 support.
http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13895#13895

Two final points that need to be made:

1. Back in December/January, EFILive did not advertise nor make it clear that 98 support was not available. That was an oversight on our part. Some customers bought EFILive with the expectation that 98's were supported.

2. The bickering about which model is popular is a moot point. We are not supporting 98 (or any model) because of its popularity. We are supporting 98's because I made a decision to support them (against other people's advice). I don't want to regret that decision, but the above flame war is making it so.

Regards
Paul