PDA

View Full Version : Is it my converter or tune causing issues???

gpr
September 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I have a 2002 camaro with full exhaust and a cam installed. I don’t know the specs because the car came with it. I have been trying to tune out an issue and I’m starting to think it might be the stock stall converter causing the issue.

When you put the car in gear it idles at 700 rpm like it is set to, but once you let off the brake the car takes off. The engine will actually increase rpms up to around 1000 rpm and sometimes shift up into second gear. I have been playing with a few different things but mostly the desired idle air flow. Problem with lowering desired idle air flow is once I get it down low enough to fix issue listed above then the car wants to stall and die when shifting from park to drive.

Is this a tuning issue or is the stock stall having issues with the higher than stock idle from the cam? Been messing with it for about two weeks and haven’t gotten anywhere.

BLK02WS6
September 6th, 2012, 12:05 PM
You need a stall converter with a cam of any size... Have seen many people try to take the short-cut of doing the cam first - doesn't work well!

gpr
September 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I have the converter, just waiting to put it in with the new tranny. The car came with the cam, just wondering if I'm chasing my tail right now trying to get this thing to not run away at idle.

BLK02WS6
September 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Yes, you would be chasing your tail LOL! It will be much better once you get the converter in there.

maudyZ28
September 9th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I rana stock stall for a year cause i was waiting till I went to state to get my stall (shipping was as much so I brough it back to UK in a case :D )
You can get away with it but it will always push the brakes.

First try :
Reduce throttle cracker such that the main number is about 0.5 , ie adjust the whole table by a percentage so the largest value in the table is 0.5

Then try this just optimise but the above should have made all the difference. Reduce idle airflow, only like .25 at a time untill the car starts to stall when you put it in gear, make sure B4325 are set to 0.25 so the PCM doesnt auto change the desired flowloads. Otherwise it will self learn too much and stall out if set to -3 or something like stock.

The stall will defo make the car better, mine doesnt push the brakes and drives nice now :) (3200 stall btw)