PDA

View Full Version : Beginners guide to tuning

ringram
February 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Hi all,

After discussing with the head honcho's it appears that nothing yet exists for newbee's to get into tuning other than to spend a few months at the keyboard reading up on old posts, posting new questions etc.

Therefore I intend to undertake the mamouth task of writting up a guide.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had started down the track, so I dont reinvent the wheel.

In fact if anyone is keen to help and do a chapter or two please let me know.

I have some ideas for distribution which might make it worth putting some extra effort in.

Anyway here is my first take at the chapters.

Index 1
Introduction 1
What do I need to know before I start? 2
How my engine works 2
How my GM Engine Control Module handles things 2
What I can do with the Engine Control Module 2
Tune for performance 2
Tune for economy 2
Tune for driveability 2
Tune for emissions 2
Tools of the trade 2
EFILive flashscan 2
Wideband controller 2
Dynometer 3
Exhaust gas analyser 3
Ok, so where do I start tuning? 3
Backup the current tune 3
Log, log and log to monitor and establish engine baseline 3
Fuelling 3
Volumetric efficiency 3
Power Enrichment 3
Opening and Closing the loop 3
Spark Ignition 3
Other fun things to change 3
Fans 3
RPM Limits 3
Throttle modifiers (Cracker, Follower) 3
Idle control & transition 3
Automatic transmission 4
Ok, I want to know more 4
Books 4
Internet 4
Stock tunes 4

Let me know your thoughts.

Tydriver
February 24th, 2006, 08:45 PM
IMO this is a great idea.. I want to learn how to do this.. I've had EFILive for over a year now and havent really gotten serious about tuning anything (yet, when my Typhoon is together it will be a handful).. The '02 Silverado I have has had nothing but small tweaks here and there to familiarize myself with the software.. I know a little bit about it but I'd had to see the frustration level of a completed project thats awaiting a decent tune to maximize performance.

I'd really like to see this completed and think it could be a HUGE asset for EFILive if its completed in a professional manner thats easy to understand !

joecar
February 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Ringram,
That'll be great, good work, we'll help you proof read, etc.
Cheers
:cheers:

VortechC5
February 27th, 2006, 03:02 PM
This is a great idea!

ringram
February 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
10 4, Mission commenced..

TAQuickness
February 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
let me know when you get to idle tooning... i should have a pretty good contribution.

Delco
February 28th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Heres a little primer that I put onto my website http://www.chipmaster.com.au/Tuning.htm

Bruce Melton
February 28th, 2006, 02:21 AM
The ultimate noble project!

ringram
February 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Up to 10 pages and counting....
Nice bit of info Dan.

Thanks guys, might PM some of you once first draft is done to help beat the sucker out.

TAQuickness
February 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Count me in.

Joel_SS
March 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I would love to have this, I am totally lost.. hhaha

ringram
March 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Ok, here is an initial draft. Let me know what you guys think. Pictures to come. Its not really a step by step... yet. More of a base education.

http://www.efilive.co.uk/Tuning with EFILive.pdf (http://www.efilive.co.uk/Tuning%20with%20EFILive.pdf)

joecar
March 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Good deal, it's taking shape;

comment: I thought the LTFT array was 16 cells (4x4)...?

ringram
March 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Yes, quite likely 16 cells. I just guessed for the draft.

1SlowHoe
April 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Are you done? Are you done?
.How about now?
:D :help:

Hyper99
April 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM
Guys,

The link to the tutorial does not seem to work.:help2:

Tried several times. Can someone else check this and advise.

-Hyper99

Tordne
April 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
Richards connection to home is out right now, and therefore his server is not contactable :bawl:

ringram
April 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
Never fear, the attachment is here.

Its still in draft form. Im waiting for lots of nice feedback. Ill probably paste in some pictures to illustrate certain tables etc.

But it should be a good intro for beginners. You will want to use this in conjunction with the other tutorials on the scan tool, tuner, autotune, trans etc.

Hyper99
April 22nd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks! :)

Jphdg
April 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Great little intro in the first steps to take for tuning these beasts. Thanks guys

VetPet
April 24th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Ringram, I have a tutorial based off the original Auto VE tutorial that I edited and added information on tuning the MAF table for those who intend to keep using their MAF. I should probably bounce it off Ross or Paul first to make sure there isn't anything in it that's out of whack. If it looks o.k. to them then I can send you a copy. If there's anything in it than you can use I'd be more than glad if you could use it.

heavyfoot
April 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
ever finish your task.. newbie wanting to know.

ringram
April 26th, 2006, 05:03 AM
First draft is done. Its kind of complete as is.
You need to use it with the normal efilive tutorials.
Id like to add pics and screenshots and maybe expand on a few points. Otherwise Im not sure what to add.
Feel free to make suggestions.

WS6TADRIVER
May 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Amazing idea.... One i will be waiting intently for ...cause i am completely lost at this point!!!

Garry
June 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
How about setting up a Wiki and just make it a joint effort? If you need a hand with that, let me know ...

ringram
June 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM
That is a brilliant idea.

Garry if you start the page off feel free to use the doc above as a start point. I will contribute some more, as Im sure will many others.

Garry
June 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
OK, here we go ... for now, I started a title page to get started under another project I'm working on but that's not really taken off yet ... can export it at any point if you or the folks from EFILive would rather have it somewhere central ...

https://www.fbodyknowledge.org/wiki/index.php/Tuning_with_EFILive