PDA

View Full Version : Immediate help needed. Checksum failed: $0548

06 Mega 5.9
September 29th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Hey guys. New to the forum but have been going back and forth with Les from Silver Bullet Tuning about tuning my dad's '06 Megacab. Well, initially, it was tuned with a Smarty Jr. Due to that, the ECM was "locked" and wouldn't allow a reading. As suggested by Les, we tried a full flash with a stock tune that he sent me. That was unsuccessful. We then tried another tune from Tune File Depot. Same results. We tried flashing both tunes more than once.

We are now stuck with a disabled vehicle and need it in 2 days! The V2's bootblock and firmware are up-to-date according to the control panel as well as the latest V7.5 and V8 software.

HELP!

06 Mega 5.9
September 29th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Les brought it to my attention that the files need to be in the ".ctz" format rather than ".ctd." The file that Les sent me was a ".ctd" but the other I got from Tune File Depot is in the ".ctz" format and that tune didn't flash either.

FUBAR
September 29th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Make sure your V2 is formatted and programmed for the CMB849 ECM. Plug V2 to computer, open Scan and tune V8, click BBx tab, click on the red arrow down tab, format config file, then click on the scan tab and tune tab, select the above ECM, then under the same red arrow down tab, program all files (slower.) All this pertains to flashing standalone. You didn't specify if you were attempting to flash standalone or pass thru.

06 Mega 5.9
September 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm trying to flash pass-through. No tunes yet besides the stock tunes from Tune File Depot.

comnrailpwr
September 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
You tried flashing the stock file back in I'm assuming. You may have to disable checksums in the tune. Not recommended but I had to do that once before for it to flash back in.

06 Mega 5.9
September 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Unforunately, it's not the stock tune that's original to the truck but yes, trying to flash a stock tune. Due to the fact that we had a Smarty Jr. on it before, the stock tune became "locked" in other words. We're now trying to flash a known good stock tune into the ECM, correct the VIN, re-flash, then read the calibration and send it to Les for tuning. I tried disabling the checksums on one of the files. Every attempt I've made yields the same results.

billybob
September 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
You sure truck was returned to stock? Also you can change the VIN in a ctz. tune, you no longer need to use scan tool.

06 Mega 5.9
September 29th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Returned to stock with the Smarty Jr. and that's what caused the ECM to "lock" and not allow us to read it or copy the stock tune. I noticed the VIN can be changed in the V7.5 Tune Tool, if that's what you're referring to. I tried changing that in the stock tunes I got from Les and Tune File Depot prior to flashing just to see if that would change things, yet still, same results. We're going to call Cindy tomorrow afternoon (should be Monday morning around 9 for them) and see if she can get us pointed in the right direction. I'd like to think the ECM is recoverable. We've done nothing outside of what Les has told us as well as the tutorial .pdf files in the V8 software. I haven't done anything with EFI Live prior to this and certainly am not comfortable going on a trial and error spree thinking I can learn on my own. I've been very by-the-books with it.

comnrailpwr
September 30th, 2012, 03:37 AM
O think you need a trip to the dealer. Get a fresh file before your ecm becomes a doorstop if it already hasn't

FUBAR
September 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Anti-theft disabled or enabled? I know that has proven to be a hinderance in the past. Just not sure which way to go with it.

2007 5.9
September 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I'm lost with it as well...known good tunes just lock up a ECM!!

Why is it a checksum issue while flashing???

Really confusing...I hate having customers have issues I can't fix!!

06 Mega 5.9
September 30th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Well, as I stated, we're going to call Cindy today and see what can be determined on EFI's end. If it turns out that the ECM is a brick, LRieff has a new ECM he got from the dealer with a dealer flash on it that he offered to sell and overnight to us and, of course, for far cheaper than the dealer. We can pull that stock tune, change the VIN, re-flash and at least get it back on the road again.

06 Mega 5.9
September 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Spoke with Donna at EFI Live. She passed some info to Paul and within 3 minutes called me back. The problems stem from the Smarty, we did nothing wrong in our attempts. It needs a dealer flash, no other way around it.

Awesome support from EFI Live! Donna even offered a free license! There's much more to EFI Live than the ability to make a Cummins a monster! It's the people that stand behind their product. That's a successful business!

JoshH
September 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Have you tried disabling checksums in the tune?

GMPX
September 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Glad to hear it's all going to work out ok. Bad timing really with those of us at this end of the world working on different days/times zones.
Les is correct though, the known good files from Tune depot should have flashed ok, so not sure what is going on there. It's also a real problem with that tuner not returning to stock. I would suggest taking your Smarty with you to the dealer so you can use their recovery file, they might run in to the same problems. Could be worse, one of the Smarty revisions (when returned to stock) then used as a base tune with EFILive ended up bricking the ECM.

06 Mega 5.9
September 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I would suggest taking your Smarty with you to the dealer so you can use their recovery file, they might run in to the same problems. Could be worse, one of the Smarty revisions (when returned to stock) then used as a base tune with EFILive ended up bricking the ECM.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly.

The truck is actually still under warranty. The previous owner purchased an extended warranty but it expires early next year. We're kinda hoping we can play dumb and just tell them it wouldn't start and the Edge Insight showed nothing and get the ECM flashed or replaced under the warranty.

Have you tried disabling checksums in the tune?

Yes I did. Not during the first attempt though but I did disable the "Calibration Verification" checksum on one of the attempts thereafter. No luck.

billybob
October 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM
Good luck getting any warranty support if the dealer knows there was a programmer anywhere near the truck, our local dodge dealer is voiding warranties because of bolt-ons like CAI's, turbo back exhausts, etc, on otherwise stock trucks

GMPX
October 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly.
The flash process on the Cummins ECM is not very flexible, you have to do it one specific way or it fails. When Smarty 'returns to stock' (I name them because this is the programmer with issues) the ECM is not left in a 100% stock state as it would have been prior to having the Smarty put on. The problem this causes is when the tune is then read as your stock file, there is still extra data in there (put in by Smarty) that in simple terms confuses EFILive as to what it should be flashing. So we analyse the file, figure out we need to write 'x' amount of data, but the hacked code in the ECM says there is actually 'y' amount of data, when the reflash happens things don't line up and it fails.
On the 6.7L ECM, one revision of the Smarty when returned to stock and then flashed with EFILive actually caused the ECM to lock up (See here (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18332-Flashed-a-6-7-and-now-its-dead-Help-please!)). You might jump to the conclusion that it's EFILive's fault, but no, we are following the rules with these ECM's when it comes to flashing, if the files (modified or returned to stock) also stuck to the rules then none of this would be an issue.

Regarding the dealers, from what I've seen it depends, some are very good and will happily reprogram the ECM for you without question.

06 Mega 5.9
October 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Good luck getting any warranty support if the dealer knows there was a programmer anywhere near the truck, our local dodge dealer is voiding warranties because of bolt-ons like CAI's, turbo back exhausts, etc, on otherwise stock trucks

At this point, I don't think they're going to be able to find any evidence. The Edge Insight doesn't even register anything. I didn't see it for myself but my dad tells me that all it showed was that it was looking for certain protocols. Aside from that, we've had this truck at this same dealer a few times in the past with the CFM+, "aftermarket exhaust" which is merely a Magnaflow muffler on the stock system and the Edge Insight sitting on the a-pillar. They've questioned it but continue on to the next step without further questioning when told it's only a monitor. Since the last visit, however, we installed the Airdog and XDP sump. But of course, being under warranty, they're going over it with a microscope and probably trying to find any reason to save them from replacing or flashing the ECM. One thing they said was "well there's some sort of pump with filters bolted to the frame." We said "and...? Filtering and straining the fuel of any contaminants and water better than the factory system isn't good?"

Regarding the dealers, from what I've seen it depends, some are very good and will happily reprogram the ECM for you without question.

We're playing the waiting game right now. Called the dealer and being under the extended warranty, they sent a tow truck out to pick it up. My dad tells me that the driver asked what the problem was and, as most do, thought he would try to diagnose the problem. He jumped in and proceeded to crank it! Something my dad did NOT want to do or be done unless it was in the dealer's hands. Needless to say, that story was shared with the dealer so maybe that gave us a little leverage.

06 Mega 5.9
October 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Finally got word back from the dealer. They've ordered a new ECM and said if it works, great. If not, we're paying the $1400 for it. Billybob, you are right. Dealers now have zero tolerance for any aftermarket modifications and will immediately disregard the warranty on such vehicles. They did us a huge favor by letting it slide this time due to the fact that it had been in their hands in the past as is but said, from now on, it wouldn't pass "inspection."

We're confident that the new ECM should work without issues. However, they never specified if they even tried re-flashing the existing one. Being under warranty, you'd think they'd be on the look out for the cheapest fix. Oh well! Now we just have to cross our fingers that we don't have any future issues reading the stock tune and re-flashing one of Les' tunes.

Stealthdiesel
October 3rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
I was going to ask if the Smarty could have been reloaded on the ECM just to get the truck going but since the EDGE Insight OBD II monitor was not working I suspect that the ECM was completed dead or bricked.

06 Mega 5.9
October 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Got the beast back and running with a new ECM and for only the cost of a deductible of $100. :D

Boy does it rattle a lot! I'm sure a tune will change that.

Let's hope we have no future issues when pulling the stock tune and flashing it with a tune from Les!

06redram
October 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Happy to here ur back on the road. You should have great success with Les tune

06 Mega 5.9
October 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Certainly glad to have it back up and running. However, we are now getting 2 DTC's. One of them being P1755 having to do with the throttle valve actuator on the trans and the other, I can't remember the code, but the best of my memory as of now, says fuel delivery something or other. They clear but immediately come back. Also, this thing has a terrible rattle. More so than with the original ECM. Timing or pilot injection in the latest factory tune? We're putting the issue in the dealer's hands because, frankly, we didn't have these codes prior to getting the new ECM. Of course, they wanna try and point fingers at the Co-Pilot or any other aftermarket part on the truck but we know and they know, the parts we have aren't the cause. The Co-Pilot is only reading a signal from the ECM, not modifying any parameters or values. The good thing is, we've been dealing with a service advisor who personally doesn't care about aftermarket parts and is more than happy to work with you if you tell him about such parts ahead of time. It's Chrysler who is cracking down. Anyhow, can anyone elaborate on these codes and help us understand what is going on? I'll get the code number tomorrow if it'll help.

06redram
October 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Did you pull a copy of the new flash from the dealer with your EFI LIVE v2. If so can upload and post the file so it can be looked over. Just the factory full flash from dealer

GMPX
October 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Got the beast back and running with a new ECM and for only the cost of a deductible of $100. :D
A new ECM for $100, I'll take 10.

06 Mega 5.9
October 5th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Did you pull a copy of the new flash from the dealer with your EFI LIVE v2. If so can upload and post the file so it can be looked over. Just the factory full flash from dealer

I'll see what I can do to pull a copy of the stock tune. We also go a soft (stored) code of P0148 - Fuel Delivery Error. What little research I've done points to a few different sensors or valves. The FCA or COV in the CP3, the pressure sensor in the rail or the rail's pressure relief valve. What was also mentioned was actual rail pressure is not meeting the demanded pressure. Is it possible they failed along with the original ECM? We never had any codes prior to the new ECM.

2007 5.9
October 5th, 2012, 06:46 AM
That code is from high return rates on the injectors...it's a new feature of that OS you got.

Send me the file and ill rewrite it to a OS that doesn't have that issue.

06 Mega 5.9
October 5th, 2012, 06:51 AM
So that would become the new stock tune to flash in, correct?

2007 5.9
October 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Yes..but this time no ECM crash

GMPX
October 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Les, what OS update is it that has that new 'feature'?

2007 5.9
October 5th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Ross, I am not sure.

A soon as the customer send it to me..I will forward it to you.

06 Mega 5.9
October 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Here's the stock tune if anyone wants to see it for themselves. Our first experience had me hesitant to try it again. Thankfully I had no issues copying it so that must be a good sign so far. It's off to Les to change the OS.

DSALRAM
April 15th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Can someonehelp me out here?, Just got Flashed by Dodge and now getting a P0148 code Some new high return rate thing a majigga..............Here is the stock tune I pulled (renamed)