PDA

View Full Version : need help with wide band signal to v1 seems to switch up and down

supershift67
October 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
I have been fighting with trying to tune for a while now but keep coming up short. The problem is the wide band signal to the efilive. It is an lc-1 analog out to the efilive. the afr reading seams to switch up and down from 13 to 20. I checked the voltage coming out of the lc-1 and it seems to be smooth at 2.4 volts but the afr reading while logging the tune goes all over the place. If I hook up a battery to the efilive input it is a rock steady reading. but when the wide band is hooked up it reads lean to rich constantly. even with the wiring unplugged from the efilive there is 1.35 volts coming out of the input with no signal from the wide band. the afr reads 16 with the wide band unhooked. I tried an aem wide band before this lc-1 and it had lean spikes and read erratic also.Is my efilive unit bad or what do you thinK?

joecar
October 2nd, 2012, 07:03 AM
What AFR pid are you using (is it from a calc_pids.txt file)...?

Post log file here.

supershift67
October 3rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
I am pretty sure that is the afr pid i am using. IT is from the autove tutorial and it has been a while since I set it up. I took a few samples of the wideband reading.13977139781397913980
the first post is not running then running, i believe then I showed the battery hooked up then unhooked. I also included the tune I am running for auto ve.13981 I also included my pid file,sorry the files are all crammed together.

joecar
October 3rd, 2012, 03:34 AM
How is your LC-1 connected...?

red:
blue:
brown:
yellow:
black:
white:
green:

( note that the LC-1 black is not a ground )

supershift67
October 3rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
red:switched power at ignition switch wiring
blue and white: is grounded at the battery
yellow: is connected to the efilive
brown: is connected to the afr gauge
black :goes to led and push button
white:ground
green:NO green wire
I am not sure i have the lc1 calibrated in the pids correctly. The afr gauge seems to read fairly smooth compared to the afr pid on the efilive.

joecar
October 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Reduce your pid channel count to no more than 24 (to get the fastest frame rate).

joecar
October 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
With the 1.5V battery, what was the voltage with no battery and then with battery...?

Was it just one 1.5V battery...?

Repeat the battery test like this (first remove the LC-1 from V1):
- connect a jumper wire between pins D and E on your V1, then remove jumper wire,
- connect 1.5V battery between same pins,
- connect a second 1.5V battery in series with the first,
- remove both batteries,
- connect jumper wire again, then remove it;

post a log file of this.

joecar
October 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Can you try running the LC-1 white wire directly to V1 pin D...?

And then can you also try running the white wire to both ground and V1 pin D...?

joecar
October 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Connect your LC-1 to your PC/laptop, run the LM Programmer software, there is a page where you can set filtering on your LC-1, set it to 1/6th...

after the LC-1 finishes programming (takes a few second), remove power from it for a moment, and then power it up and test it.

joecar
October 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
It looks to me like your LC-1 is not working.

supershift67
October 3rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
It looks to me like your LC-1 is not working. I just went through the logs that i posted and they are not the correct logs. I dont know what happened there. I have been so flustered with this thing I must have screwed something else up. I will redo the logs and post them again and I will try what you said. thanks for the help.

supershift67
October 4th, 2012, 07:33 AM
13988 This is what it is doing, a quick log of the wacked out signal.
13989 This is after recalibrating the wide band and switching the output to 1/6.It still seems out of wack.
This is all i had time to try today.By the way thanks for the help.
I dont know why there is so many pids in the first file. I thought I was using the same pid file for both recordings.

joecar
October 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Disconnect LC-1 white from ground,

disconnect V1 pin D from ground,

connect LC-1 white it directly to V1 pid D.

joecar
October 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM
13988 This is what it is doing, a quick log of the wacked out signal.
13989 This is after recalibrating the wide band and switching the output to 1/6.It still seems out of wack.
This is all i had time to try today.By the way thanks for the help.
I dont know why there is so many pids in the first file. I thought I was using the same pid file for both recordings.The second log looks better but is still wrong.

joecar
October 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Remove the wideband sensor from your header, and then test it:

spray brake cleaner into a cloth rag, and wrap it around the sensor (watch out, it's hot) and observe the scantool...

wideband AFR should peg rich for 10-20 seconds and then should peg lean

(there's a youtube video illustrating this)

supershift67
October 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Disconnect LC-1 white from ground,

disconnect V1 pin D from ground,

connect LC-1 white it directly to V1 pid D.
Are you saying to not hook pin d or white wire to ground? then the lc-1 wont have a ground, then try to see if it works?

joecar
October 5th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Are you saying to not hook pin d or white wire to ground? then the lc-1 wont have a ground, then try to see if it works?

Yes, affirmative. The LC-1 already has a ground (blue); yes, see if it works with white/pin D isolated from ground.

supershift67
October 5th, 2012, 05:51 AM
13996 I ended up testing the o2 sensor and logged the data. I then realized it is way worse when the engine is running. I checked the exhaust and found the o2 bung is directly behind another wide band 02 ,the sensor was down into the exhaust further. so i remove that other o2 .and plugged the hole. then calibrated the lc-1. Took some data and went for a drive. does this log look better?

joecar
October 5th, 2012, 08:11 AM
That looks way better... make sure the plugged hole/bung is not leaking.

Also, in the BEN filter, add a clause to include data for EXT.AD1 greater than 0.05V (to filter out those down-spikes), and remove the reference to GM.FTC.

joecar
October 5th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Did you do both heater calibration and free air calibration...?

joecar
October 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
When logging for tuning, use the throttle in a more steady manner, this will give more useable data.

Also, you can log up to 24 pid channels (see channel count at bottom of PIDs tab) for the fastest frame sample rate

supershift67
October 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM
thanks for all the help. I think I am getting closer.

Gregs
October 12th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Hey Supershift67 welcome! What part of Iowa are you at? I'm in Ames.

supershift67
October 12th, 2012, 05:07 PM
thanks gregs, Im from waterloo