PDA

View Full Version : Scan Tool Error

gpr
October 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Today when i tried connecting to my 2002 chevy silverado 5.3l I kept getting an error. I know before in the past i have been able to log on this vehicle but today i kept the error attached. Scan tool was showing i was connected, but it didn't seem like it was. Then when I clicked on the yellow button to start monitoring this is when the error was generated. So what is going on and how to I fix this?

joecar
October 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
gpr, thanks, I forwarded the error report to Paul.

Blacky
October 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Its a problem caused by the FlashScan firmware misinterpreting the A/D input values when no A/D voltage is applied. It will be fixed in the next software/firmware update.

Using one of the orange A/D connectors, try making a loopback connection to AD1 that simply connects both pins of the AD1 input together. That will hopefully pull the AD input signal down low enough to prevent it interfering with the data logging.

joecar
October 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM
So would he see this because he has the analog pids automatically selected...?

Blacky
October 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM
That would probably solve the problem as well.
Regards
Paul

joecar
October 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
gpr,

if you're not using the analog interface, start V8 S&T, goto F6: Devices, goto F6: Logging, and uncheck Automatically select ALL external analog pids;

then Save to file (Settings.dat) and Program to V2.

gpr
October 5th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I will give that a try and turn off the analog interface. How come I get this error on the pickup, but when I plug it into my 2002 camaro I don't have any problems? It is same pcm.

I know I have updated software and firm ware on the v2 since I last tried to log data on this pickup.

Thanks for the quick responses and help!

Blacky
October 5th, 2012, 09:17 AM
The error occurs (or does not occur) based on the voltage that the FlashScan firmware detects on the A/D input. If nothing is connected then that value can fluctuate based on the general electrical conditions in the vehicle and or in FlashScan. I presume that can be different for different vehicles. Adding the loop back connection should stop that value from fluctuating randomly. Or as Joe suggested not logging those values may prevent the firmware and/or software from attempting to process the fluctuating values.

The problem is not really that the A/D voltages fluctuate when nothing is connected, its that the firmware and software are processing the A/D data incorrectly and a side effect of not having anything connected causes the firmware/software to process the data incorrectly. That will be fixed in the next update.

Reagrds
Paul

gpr
October 8th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I went into the settings on the v8 S&T but all check marks were already unselected, so i programmed the v2 anyway. It fixed the problem. Thanks for the help guys.

joecar
January 17th, 2013, 04:15 PM
From another thread:

Please see this thread.
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20725-Scan-Tool-Error (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20725-Scan-Tool-Error&highlight=loopback)

Because you are using the analog/external PIDs and deselecting them is not an option, you will need to create a loopback link for AD1 to force the A/D counts for AD1 to be zero.
Then you'll need to hook up the wideband to AD2, and use the AD2 PIDs for wideband logging.

It is fixed in the next update. That update was due out earlier this week but some last minute problems appeared in final testing and they are still being fixed.
It may be another week before it is ready.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
January 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
i just sent blacky a pm about this issue. the ad/external inputs have nothing to do with the problem imo. as i turned all of them off, deselected the pids from my list and still couldnt get it to work.

The workaround for now is simple and I have no idea why it works, but this is what i found out last week.

instead of opening the scanner software directly, open up a previous log file done by the v2 or v1 unit itself (by bbx), connect to the ecu, remove any pids or add ones you want if your not happy and start logging.

Everything will work like it normally would.

joecar
January 18th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Ok, thx for the tip.

EagleMark
January 20th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I get the same error with AD1 connected to WB. With or without PIDS still get error $0F...

EagleMark
January 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Its a problem caused by the FlashScan firmware misinterpreting the A/D input values when no A/D voltage is applied. It will be fixed in the next software/firmware update.

Using one of the orange A/D connectors, try making a loopback connection to AD1 that simply connects both pins of the AD1 input together. That will hopefully pull the AD input signal down low enough to prevent it interfering with the data logging.
13992Nope, still get $0f error.

EagleMark
January 20th, 2013, 09:28 AM

That would probably solve the problem as well.
Regards
PaulNope still get error even with a jumper in AD1

EagleMark
January 20th, 2013, 09:38 AM
gpr,

if you're not using the analog interface, start V8 S&T, goto F6: Devices, goto F6: Logging, and uncheck Automatically select ALL external analog pids;

then Save to file (Settings.dat) and Program to V2.Nope, still get the error...

joecar
January 20th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Nope, still get the error...Error $0F...?

EagleMark
January 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Yes, sorry Error $0F for all of those. First I had AD1 input from WB so no input is not the issue. Second was with the jumper wire as discribed above with no AD input. Third was following your instructions through V8. Still $0F...

Restart scantool with all analog PIDS removed and still $0F error on connect.

I gave up and went in for lunch and thought I'd give it one more try. Fail!

Now the cure! Disconnect OBDII plug from vehicle. Plugged it back in and it works! Still have jumper in, but could try without if you want?

Something about V2 loosing all power after this error and deleting all AD PIDS made it work. Was vehicle power and not laptop because it was disconnected from laptop couple times. V2 was plugged in vehicle and stays on through entire process and never turned off. Disconnect so it turns off, reconnect and no error.

joecar
January 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Hmmm, interesting...

Paul will have a new software version soon...

Tre-Cool
January 20th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Did you try my trick of opening pre-existing log file and then trying to scan?

I dont even use the AD ports as i have a serial wb and had the same problem.

joecar
January 20th, 2013, 09:35 PM
See post #11 above:

i just sent blacky a pm about this issue. the ad/external inputs have nothing to do with the problem imo. as i turned all of them off, deselected the pids from my list and still couldnt get it to work.

The workaround for now is simple and I have no idea why it works, but this is what i found out last week.

instead of opening the scanner software directly, open up a previous log file done by the v2 or v1 unit itself (by bbx), connect to the ecu, remove any pids or add ones you want if your not happy and start logging.

Everything will work like it normally would.

EagleMark
January 21st, 2013, 04:17 AM
No I didn't... but it looks as though he has the fix and correct about some kind of feedback. Problem was without loosing power to V2 (so panel is no longer lit up) from OBDII port after this error happens it did not correct.

I don't remember getting any updates in last couple months? Did this same truck about 2 months ago without issue. This time had AD1 input from WB and PIDS selected and got error $0F. So it's more then just no AD1 input.

izaks
April 7th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Following on from this - using B226
Connect to car select 24+ channels 5 packets with AEM AFR connected to AD1, records fine
Connect to car select 24 or less channels 4 packets with AEM AFR connected to AD1, scans fails $02 / $03 as soon as you press the record button.
Connect to car select 24 or less channels 4 packets with AEM AFR not connected to AD1, records fine. Then plug in AEM to AD1 while recording, and everything works fine.

Blacky
April 8th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Connect to car select 24+ channels 5 packets with AEM AFR connected to AD1, records fine
Connect to car select 24 or less channels 4 packets with AEM AFR connected to AD1, scans fails $02 / $03 as soon as you press the record button.
Connect to car select 24 or less channels 4 packets with AEM AFR not connected to AD1, records fine. Then plug in AEM to AD1 while recording, and everything works fine.

Investigating...

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the detective work, I have reproduced the problem here and a fix will be included in RC4.

Regards
Paul

izaks
April 9th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Works - thanks very much