PDA

View Full Version : Logged data has time gaps

MadMaxHSV
October 8th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I don't know if the V2 gets scared or something, but I have logging issues (usually when doing WOT passes) that the data logging doesn't keep up with the data resulting in large time gaps in the log. Recent run at the track i'm missing nearly 2 seconds of time between some frames on the log. When realtime monitoring on the laptop the guages etc visibly freeze up then come back.
I've tried reducing my PID count to see if it helps but no luck. Seems strange it only really does it when WOT, do large data changes cause the unit problems?

Perhaps just an issue when laptop logging?

joecar
October 8th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hey MM,

which PCM does your car have...?

post some log files.

MadMaxHSV
October 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi Joe,

Car's running an E40.

Check between frames 2664 and 2665 nearly 5 seconds is missing according to the time indicator.

Cheers

Blacky
October 9th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Does it only stop logging when logging in pass-thru mode to a laptop?
Have you tried logging just using FlashScan in standalone mode? Does it still stop logging in that case?

Do the orange and green LEDs on the right side of FlashScan stop flashing when it stops logging?
The orange LED shows data being received from the vehicle, the green LED shows data being transmitted to the PC.

If there is no change in the LEDs when the data stops, then the problem is most likely with the laptop or the cable connections.

Some laptops have a built in shock sensor on the hard drive and the hard drive will stop writing if it detects high acceleration or excessive vibration.
Or the cables/connectors may be getting worn/loose and hard acceleration in the vehicle may be enough to cause an intermittent physical connection issue.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
October 9th, 2012, 09:40 AM
RE: HDD shock protection, I've had this happen may years back. Basically you can't log on a laptop with the lid closed as the software kicks in and parks the HDD heads. Leaving the lid open will not trigger the event and the only other option is to disable the application in Windows.

Simon.

MadMaxHSV
October 9th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hadn't noticed the lights go out.
The hard drive protection thing sounds the most plausible under the circumstances (but never would have thought of that, so thanks), will check some BB logging for comparison.

MadMaxHSV
October 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I've always been logging lid open, so the drop protection may be kicking in (Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad).