PDA

View Full Version : Crank/Cam Trigger questions

CMillet86
October 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Ok I'm really interested in putting a GM computer on my Volvo 4 cylinder turbo project. The thing I'm worried about is crank/cam triggering. Now we have a few options, the first and what I think would work the best is this.
http://yoshifab.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=45
That allows us to run a DSM/Mitsu CAS which incorporates a crank and cam sensor into one item. Then we have this.
http://yoshifab.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=46
That converts the sensor to 24 and 1. The question is will a GM Computer read that? I'm willing to spend the money on the adapter and disk, I'm just worried about spending $900 on EFI Live if I can't make it work. I've tried doing a lot of searching and haven't found anything really definitive about using aftermarket triggers and what not.

joecar
October 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Those will not work with the GM PCM...

The LS1 24x reluctor wheel is actually a pair 24x encoded inverse image reluctor wheels...

( there are 2 different tooth dimensions, the sequence of the tooth dimensions encodes the crank position )

( each wheel is the inverse image of the other )

in the attached image look closely at edge of the wheel, you will see 2 wheels with varying tooth widths...

the LS1 PCM looks specifically for the encoded pattern

( image borrowed from ls1tech.com )

joecar
October 10th, 2012, 03:11 PM
The GM 4 cylinder engines use a different reluctor wheel than that and an ECU to match.

CMillet86
October 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Another Option I have is, my car comes factory with a 58X crank trigger on the flywheel, I just figured the 24x would be easier but didn't realize the trigger was a weird pattern. If I was to use the 58X I'd just have to make a cam trigger, the question is will the GM computers respond to a generic sensor or will they only read the factory ones?

joecar
October 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
The 58x crank reluctor is really 60x-2 (i.e. 60x minus 2 teeth).

The ECM that uses this 58x crank reluctor also uses a 4x asymmetrical cam reluctor.

The generic sensors may or may not work.

CMillet86
October 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Yah thats exactly what they have on the flywheel 60-2.

CMillet86
January 27th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Wanted to update this, i've been tinkering with this idea still and this is what I have come up with so far. Keep in mind this is a crude drawing and what not.

EagleMark
January 27th, 2013, 07:37 AM
That looks like a shutter wheel from an LT1 distributor or the aftermarket distributor for a 0411 swap. Is this what your trying to do?

CMillet86
January 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I'm trying to install a GM Computer (E67 preferably) on my 4 cylinder volvo, I have an adapter that uses a Diamond Star Motors CAS(Crank Angle Sensor) which has the crank and cam sensor built into one deal. But that appears to be a similar concept as to whats going on there.

joecar
January 27th, 2013, 05:05 PM
That will not work because the cam 4x sequence (i.e. the cam sprocket and distributor) spins at half crank speed.

CMillet86
January 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Yah I realized that about 20 minutes after I posted it. I'm not worried about using the 58x pattern as I already have that on my engine. The 4x is what I'm more worried about.

benny123
March 29th, 2017, 12:17 PM
That will not work because the cam 4x sequence (i.e. the cam sprocket and distributor) spins at half crank speed.

Yes I know this is an old post, just don't like mis-information on the internet. Yes his idea will work, he was on the correct path.

Because its on the distributor and cams turn at 1/2 speed, so.... the answer to the riddle is just print the 58x pattern twice on that wheel you designed and it will work perfectly.

joecar
March 29th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Yes I know this is an old post, just don't like mis-information on the internet. Yes his idea will work, he was on the correct path.

Because its on the distributor and cams turn at 1/2 speed, so.... the answer to the riddle is just print the 58x pattern twice on that wheel you designed and it will work perfectly.That's thinking out of the box :cheers: