PDA

View Full Version : Updated tune, now stuck on low octane table?

ddnspider
October 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I did some more AutoVE AutoMAF tweaking yesterday on my bolt on A4 LS1. When I incorporated the changes into my real tune and Cal flashed it, the car seems to be stuck running off the low octane table now. I did realize after 1st loading the updated tune, I did make a pull in the car with no O2 sensor on the driverside as I had pulled it to stick the wideband O2 in there. It threw a check engine light and I'm sure it switched to the low octane table, but it seems to be stuck there even after removing the codes. Any idea why it would still be stuck there? Do I need to do a full reflash instead of just a Cal flash? Updated with tune and log attached. Please ignore air/fuel data as the wideband was not hooked up for this post update log. Also, the only timing changes I made to this version of the tune were lower RPM/ high grams/cyl bumps on both the high and low octane table to try and get some more throttle response off-idle.

joecar
October 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cal flash it again and see if it's still stuck...

ddnspider
October 17th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cal flash it again and see if it's still stuck...

So does that mean you agree it looks like its ready off the low octane spark table? I'll try a full flash just to be sure.

joecar
October 17th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Using scantool->tunetool cursor linking I see that spark advance following the LO within a few degrees or less.

ddnspider
October 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Using scantoo->tunetool cursor linking I see that spark advance following the LO within a few degrees or less.I did a full flash and logged on the way to work. FuelSys-A and B both say it goes closed loop. But you can see that the WOT is still looking at the low octane table. What in the world is going on?

ddnspider
October 18th, 2012, 05:26 AM
So I went and filled the car up incase I set the knock/low octane bit low and it made no difference. I also logged GM.ASPARK and it seems to hang around 35-40%. Does that mean that it is only using 35% of the high table or the low? I could really use some help guys.

BLK02WS6
October 18th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Looks to me like it is adapting back towards the HO table, but maybe doing it slowly. I'll keep looking and see if I can figure it out...

ddnspider
October 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Looks to me like it is adapting back towards the HO table, but maybe doing it slowly. I'll keep looking and see if I can figure it out...

I dont suppose there's a way to reset it so it doesn't take forever if that is what it's doing? I assumed a full flash would have reset everything in the PCM. I've also contemplated trying to mess with the fuel level harness so it cycles the level.

I did find this post in my searchs:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/330907-post4.html

Think it holds any weight in my situation?

BLK02WS6
October 18th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I've heard both ways on the fuel level - some say it effects spark, some say it has no effect - I'm not 100% on that - maybe Joe knows more...

I have never changed it, but I'm wondering if you changed the increment number if it would go back to the HO quicker... I think it would. Might want to give it a shot and see if it works...

ddnspider
October 19th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Ah! I see what you're saying. I will give it a shot today or tomorrow and let you know what it does. Do you guys bump up the octane scaler threshold at all?

ddnspider
October 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
All is well! Apparently the stock decrement is ridiculously slow. I had to drive around for a long time and it gradually returned to normal. I reflashed and bumped it up a little bit so it would return to the high octane table quicker. Also SeaFoamed and the car's pulling cleaning with no knock :) Thanks guys!!!

joecar
October 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I also logged GM.ASPARK and it seems to hang around 35-40%. Does that mean that it is only using 35% of the high table or the low? I could really use some help guys.

GM.ASPARK:

the weighted blend (average) of the LO and HO tables...

on the LS1A/LS1B:
0% = purely LO table
100% = purely HO table

[ on E38/E67 it is reversed ]

so 35% means spark advance is calculated as the blend of 35% HO and 65% LO.

joecar
October 19th, 2012, 02:18 PM
All is well! Apparently the stock decrement is ridiculously slow. I had to drive around for a long time and it gradually returned to normal. I reflashed and bumped it up a little bit so it would return to the high octane table quicker. Also SeaFoamed and the car's pulling cleaning with no knock :) Thanks guys!!!Which tables did you modify, and what values...?

B6207...?
B6220,3,4,5...?

ddnspider
October 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Which tables did you modify, and what values...?

B6207...?
B6220,3,4,5...?

Only table I modified was B6224 so that it was the same (.00537) as B6225. I see no reason why it should take longer for the transition from low to high octane tables when no knock is present versus from high to low when knock is present. I noticed that I went up to ~57% earlier today before reflashing again so it was slowing going back to the high octane table on its own anyways.