PDA

View Full Version : Functions showing "Pending" & how to eliminate them

Red98C5
October 29th, 2012, 05:59 AM
My buddy and I have been trying to eliminate multiple "Pending" codes in the program of my 2003 Corvette so it can be sent thru the Motor Vehicle Inspection process. The car had a "statup tune" installed when a major powertrain mod was done, but the tuner wanted somebody else, with more experience, to do the final tune. In the 18 months since the work was done it still has not been final tuned and multiple people associated with the shop have made attempts to set it up. I've been told that the surging between 1500 & 2200 is normal for the LS1 engine with a cam (approx 230 "advertised" duration & approx 612 lift) yet my previous car with a similar cam was not like that.

That however was not the recent problem, the recent issue was that when trying to get the vehicle inspected by Motor Vehicle (has to be done every 2 years) they said it failed due to more then one (1) Pending code. After hooking up our V2 we found 4 Pending codes and while the shop says it's an easy & quick fix for the "Pending" codes it's been more then 1.5 weeks since my last contact with them, and I've been trying to get this fixed since August as the car's "legal" inspection and registration expired September 30th..!! We have some really strigent cops nearby and I'm afraid to even take the car out now with an expired sticker (friends have been stopped by them for going to fast in a traffic circle even though they were following other drivers, or being stopped for the front license plate not being visible and even for having drag radials on the car and driving to and from the track (if the cop was behind at a stopped traffic light) so you can see where my fear comes from). Has anybody encountered this problem with "Pending" messages on functions (O2 - Evap - Htr - AIR) and if so, how did you eliminate them??

joecar
October 29th, 2012, 06:02 AM
What state are you located...?

Red98C5
October 29th, 2012, 06:38 AM
What state are you located...?

I'm in NJ (although it's getting to sound like Calif)

joecar
October 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
The State should not be looking for Current DTC's and not Pending DTC's... the Pending one's have not yet "triggered".

Do you have all the equipment installed for EVAP, AIR, O2, O2 HTR, ...? (They will do a visual inspection for the physical presence/appearance of those).

If you do have them installed and you get Pending DTC's then there is a "pending" problem with those subsystems.

Did you got to the DMV with a copy of your failed inspection report and request a time extension (usually a paper month sticker that goes on you rear window)...?

Make sure you prepay the renewal online, print the receipt... if you get stopped show the receipt, the failed report, the DMV extension, and explain that you're working with the DMV and your mechanic to resolve the problem ASAP (do not mention "tuner"), and that you need the car for commuting to work (it's your only car).

230 @ .050 is fairly easy to get good mannered idle/driveability from.

Red98C5
October 30th, 2012, 07:19 AM
The State should not be looking for Current DTC's and not Pending DTC's... the Pending one's have not yet "triggered".

Do you have all the equipment installed for EVAP, AIR, O2, O2 HTR, ...? (They will do a visual inspection for the physical presence/appearance of those).

The state checks when necessary for the emissions equipment, all of which is on my car, but also hook up to the ALDL and check the status of the systems. Two years ago I had a bad gas cap and the car failed for that but I had to take the car to a "private" re-inspection station to get it cleared, that private station even now will not pass the car or even look at it unless they get to do repair work on it but they do not check programming, only repairs. As they, and other private shops, want to "diagnose" the car and starting fees are over $400 and if they cannot fix it (because it's a programming issue) they will not refund the fee....so it's a loose - loose situation right now.

I did the renewal in August and have a current registration & insurance but just can't get the car thru any MV inspection right now.

joecar
October 30th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Do they do the exhaust gases sniffer test...?

Red98C5
October 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Do they do the exhaust gases sniffer test...?

They stopped the tailpipe test I'm told, but 2 years ago they did that plus the ALDL tests

joecar
October 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Check your pm's.

Red98C5
November 3rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions....the problem may be solved.