PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump with returnless fuel system questions

turbo_bu
November 1st, 2012, 05:10 AM
Getting ready to work on a 2004 truck (returnless fuel system) with a Procharger, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump and stock injectors. This got me thinking about how it might affect the tune and the ramifications of using this setup instead of using a larger pump and larger injectors. Since it is returnless, wouldn't running the pump at a higher voltage (output) just dump more fuel in the tank and heat it up? I always thought that the key with trying to live with stock injectors was that you had to increase the rail pressure to make them "look bigger". But with a returnless design, the return is before the injectors.

Am I missing something here, or is it the fact that the regulator on most fuel systems is basically small, so that when you increase the output of the pump, that some of the extra fuel gets dumped back in the tank, but more of it makes it up to the fuel rail? I haven't had to mess with these before and was wanting a better understanding of how well it was going to work. I will still probablly talk to the guy into putting some $$$ in the fuel system to upgrade it instead of just using the Boost-A-Pump with the stock injectors.

joeygc5
November 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM
You running it off a Hobbs switch for activation? If so just tune the cells in accordingly. As the basic pressure will be the same, just the added availability from the boost-a-pump should just be factored in as factory supply psi.

turbo_bu
November 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
yes, the standard Boost-A-Pump has a Hobbs switch so it only kicks on when you are in boost. My gut tells me that the Boost-A-Pump will only help with pump flow and will not band-aid for too small of injectors. I know that on some of the older supercharger kicks, they used FMU's to help out when the injectors were too small. Never liked that method, but yes, it can work.