PDA

View Full Version : Vgt calibration

30 RUM
November 7th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Does anyone know if you can calibrate the VGT controller with EFI Live on a new VGT Turbo install. Thnx

beav
January 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Bump...I would like to know this too. Is it possible to calibrate the actuator to the turbo? I had to buy a replacement and I understand that most will say that I have to take it to a dealer, but I don't think I'd get much help from the Dodge dealer when I roll up in my Cummins powered Ford! :shock:

beav
January 24th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Anyone?

WyoFreeride
January 25th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I have never found a way, It would be a nice thing to have for sure though.

KDubya
January 25th, 2013, 04:07 AM
What do you mean by "calibrate the VGT controller?" If you mean, can you adjust vane position to control the amount of boost (more or less), then yes you can do that. I'm not sure why you would want to calibrate the actuator of the turbo. That's physical movement length. It should be centered. There's a thread on CF about it somewhere.

ATPCummins
January 25th, 2013, 04:11 AM
What do you mean by "calibrate the VGT controller?" If you mean, can you adjust vane position to control the amount of boost (more or less), then yes you can do that. I'm not sure why you would want to calibrate the actuator of the turbo. That's physical movement length. It should be centered. There's a thread on CF about it somewhere.

I have never done it on a pickup, but have calibrated turbo controllers on ISX's, etc. The controller needs to be calibrated to its "zero" position before it is installed on the turbo. Once the controller is installed it needs to be calibrated to the turbo. There are two different tests to complete this.

WyoFreeride
January 25th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Here's the page from the manual with the 2 procedures.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7740939/EFI/6.7%20VGT%20Cal%20Procedure.pdf

beav
January 25th, 2013, 04:38 AM
I have never done it on a pickup, but have calibrated turbo controllers on ISX's, etc. The controller needs to be calibrated to its "zero" position before it is installed on the turbo. Once the controller is installed it needs to be calibrated to the turbo. There are two different tests to complete this.

Correct, I am not worried about the tuning part as I know EFILive will do that. I had to buy a different actuator motor for the turbo that came with the engine and if it is not installed while meshing the gear teeth in the correct position, then you run the risk of overtravelling to a hard spot and burning up the actuator motor.

Therefore, you are correct ATP, for starters I need to find the "home" positions of both the arm on the turbo cartridge and gear of the motor (when powered) and then mount it. But, does EFILive allow me to "home" the actuator motor?

Otherwise, is it possible to buy/rent starscan or something that will do it?

Anyone in the KY area that can do it for me?

Thanks!

ATPCummins
January 25th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Correct, I am not worried about the tuning part as I know EFILive will do that. I had to buy a different actuator motor for the turbo that came with the engine and if it is not installed while meshing the gear teeth in the correct position, then you run the risk of overtravelling to a hard spot and burning up the actuator motor.

Therefore, you are correct ATP, for starters I need to find the "home" positions of both the arm on the turbo cartridge and gear of the motor (when powered) and then mount it. But, does EFILive allow me to "home" the actuator motor?

Thanks!

I'm not sure which scan tools have the ability to do this besides cummins insite, and chrysler wiTech. Wish I could be more help.

beav
January 25th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I'm not sure which scan tools have the ability to do this besides cummins insite, and chrysler wiTech. Wish I could be more help.

From what I undersand, I believe that Cummins Insite will do it on ISX engines and Starscan will do it on Dodge Cummins engines. But knowing the capabilities of EFILive, I was hoping that it would allow me to inject the respective outputs to have the actuator motor run to min and max positions and base my maps off that - which would also allow me to determine the home position.

LReiff
January 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks!

Alldata has a very well explained service procedure for VGT control replacement. Is there something to know that their procedure does not cover? It does mention a special alignment pin but other than that it's a straight forward install.

beav
January 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info Lee. I do not have immediate access to AllData at the moment. When you refer to the alignment pin, is that on the actuator or the turbo cartridge?

beav
January 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Here's the page from the manual with the 2 procedures.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7740939/EFI/6.7%20VGT%20Cal%20Procedure.pdf

Thanks for the instructions. It explains the alignment procedure well, but still leaves me with the calibrations part that I need from the StarScan tool. Just need to find a place to buy/borrow one, I guess.

LReiff
January 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM
AllData tells you to use a pin that comes with a service kit, they also give a drill bit size as well if the pin is unavailable. The pin aligns the arm on the cartridge. It also says to turn the actuator gear all the way in one direction before installing the actuator unit.

beav
March 12th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I still have not found the answer to this. Aligning the turbo gear is the easy part and I've got that covered. Let me ask the question in a different way. Can EFILive force commands (via the ECU) to the actuator without the engine running. For example, if I tell it to go to 100% or "x", can I make the actuator motor move without the ECU telling it by its own algorithm interfering.

...hope this is making sense. Sometimes, I have trouble asking questions the right way. :bangin:

cumminsDK
March 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
No DVT CONTROLS are not yet available in the current public release. I haven't tried RC1 yet.