PDA

View Full Version : T43/E38 Scaled Shifting

Webbs
November 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Please help me sort this out in my brain. So I had to scale my ID1000 injectors to get them to work within the limits of my operating system, and thus scale the rest of my airflow tables in my tune. What I am having some issues with is getting the trans to shift without flaring. I have done a good amount of work in the E38 Torque Model B3033 as well as the shift pressures in the T43, and its better bur not correct.

Correct me if I am wrong but by scaling the airflow model in the ECM I am changing the way the ECM calculates torque. So the scaled airflow is giving the trans incorrect values when it is looking up line pressure causing the flaring issue. Is this correct or am I missing something?

joecar
November 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Yes, you are correct...

you would have scaled airmass down with the injectors, and torque is calculated from airmass, so now your torque model is too low...

you will have scale the torque model up...

see this thread: Improving-shifts-via-the-ECM (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18710-Improving-shifts-via-the-ECM)

Webbs
November 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Ok, I've got it shifting great under crusing and part throttle but under WOT it acts like it is hunting for the correct gear. It will pull to 4000 rpm in first gear then it feels like it hits a limiter. If I let off the throttle it will shift to 2nd but if I roll back into the throttle it will pull the gear but then it bucks and acts like it does not know what to do. In manual mode it will pull all gear to redline? Any thoughts?

swingtan
November 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Attach a log of the issue, with the ECM / TCM tunes.

I've set up the same combo and not had this issue. It took a lot of wok on the torque model though.

Webbs
November 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Attach a log of the issue, with the ECM / TCM tunes.

I've set up the same combo and not had this issue. It took a lot of wok on the torque model though.

Here are the tunes for the engine and trans. Thank you for looking.

Webbs

swingtan
November 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Hmm.... I can't seem to open those in EFILive. Can someone else try and let me know if it's just me?

Simon

Webbs
November 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hmm.... I can't seem to open those in EFILive. Can someone else try and let me know if it's just me?

Simon

I can email them to you. PM me your address'

darcy
November 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Simon

Both seem to open fine for me, Simon.

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Simon, what V7 build version are you running...?

swingtan
November 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Build 211, which I believe is the latest.

I'm going through two proxies though and there may be something going on there. I'll try going direct to see if it's any different.

swingtan
November 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
well, that's interesting..... My browser was changing the file extension from *.tun to *.ctz and this was causing EFILive to interpret the file incorrectly.

Looking now.....

swingtan
November 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ok, Looking at this you are still running the MAF. I'd probably dial in the VVE as well, especially as you're going to boost the motor, even though you are running the MAF.

Looking at B3033, I'd be adding lots to that table. Here's my thinking.

You've scaled the normal air flow tables down by an assumed 60% to suit the ID1000 injectors. So you need to start with increasing B3033 by at leas the same amount just to suit the stock motor.
You've made additional changes to the tune to increase the stock power, so you need to add to B3033 to match the power increases.
You're have already, or are about to boost the motor, significantly increasing torque, so this table again need further increases to match.

What I'd do is start with fairly standard settings for the auto, and work on B3033 to get the box shifting somewhat correctly. Then fine tune with the trans tune. It may require some back and forth between the trans tune and the ECM tune to get it perfect, but that's how I'd address any shifting issues.

At least that's how I did the combo when I did it. L98 based stroker with a 23x/25x cam, FAST manifold with Nick Williams 102mm TB and the ID1000 injectors. It ran an 11.84 last Friday night with a 1.6 60' and with the ID1000's only sees IBPW's of just over 6mS, so plenty of head room.

For your application of boost and E85, I'd guess you'll be using the capacity of the ID1000's a little more....

Simon

Webbs
November 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Started from scratch, and now she is shifting great thanks!!!

W~

swingtan
November 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Excellent!

joecar
November 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Post some log files.

Webbs
November 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Will do when I get home from the holiday..

W~

mowton
September 17th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Will do when I get home from the holiday..

W~

Wow, long Holiday....:-)

But thanks for the info...battling a similar situation and quess I am too conservative when it comes to modifying the torque model....maybe EFI Live and HPT should remove the warning labels :-)

Ed M