PDA

View Full Version : have not updated my controller in a long time. whats needed?

Aint Skeered
November 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I am still running on v7.5.5 (build 88)

Is there anything special i need to do to update my box? I tried to data log my car yesterday and all my pids were gone from my v2. I would have to scan through it on lap top , just want to get back in to doing some tuning, took a long break from cars. Thanks in advance. Chad

Aint Skeered
November 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM
So I tried to do the updates and now when I try to open efi live tune, I get error

Cannot open file "c:\documents and settings\localservice\my documents\EfiLive\V7.5\user
Configuration\calc_pids.txt" the system cannot find file specified

It will not open, help!

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Do these steps in order:

- save your calc_pids.txt someplace,

- manually download and install V7 build 211 and V8 build 203 from the downloads page at www.efilive.com (http://www.efilive.com),

- very carefully this thread before proceeding: Upgrading-from-older-bootblock-firmware (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20952-Upgrading-from-older-bootblock-firmware&p=180439#post180439)

- when you understand that pdf then proceed with your V2 upgrade,

- after doing all of the above, see this thread: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joe I did not wait, I should have known better but like always I got impatient.

I upgraded boot block and firmware already. My tune or scan icon won't open.

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 06:49 AM
What Windows OS are you using on your PC/laptop...?

What does your V2 do when connected to your PC/laptop...?

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Windows xp on my acer laptop

When I plug in my v2 it just lights up and shows the options but when I click on scan tool (f1) it brings me to the next screen and when I select pids (f1) it says options.txt not found.

It says that on all options

I have to leave for a while but will check back in a few hours. Thanks already joe

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Ok, you have to do this:

- after doing all of the above, see this thread: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Ok, you have to do this:

I went to that page and did all of section 1.

I don't understand the section 2, where do I go to save .ctz from .tun?

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM
So I tried to do the updates and now when I try to open efi live tune, I get error

Cannot open file "c:\documents and settings\localservice\my documents\EfiLive\V7.5\user
Configuration\calc_pids.txt" the system cannot find file specified

It will not open, help!
Also after following all those tutorials except one about changong .tun to .ctz I still get the same error code in above

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Ok I have a question.
I'm looking at this and thinking i may be confused. I still have the icons on my home screen for tune tool 7.5
And scan tool v7.5

I also have the new one that has them combined. I was clicking on the individual tune tool 7.5, Do those even get used any more?

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
V7 scantool/tunetool are for viewing/editing log/tune files.

V8 S&T is for configuring V2 (BBL/BBF) and flashing newer ECM/TCM controllers.

V8 S&T does not replace V7 at this time.

( so yes, V7 scantool/tunetool still gets used )

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I went to that page and did all of section 1.

I don't understand the section 2, where do I go to save .ctz from .tun?Do you have any .tun files from your PCM...? Which folder are they located...?

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I just used tune and scan to read the ECM in my Trans am.
When I try to edit in V7 it still gives the error code above.

All my old tunes appear to be gone. I don't see them in customers anymore.

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm not really sure what your looking for. .tun , I don't know where to find them

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Error report generated by EFILive at 16:34:13 on Nov 12, 2012

Error code: ERR_WIN 0/0
Cannot open file "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt". The system cannot find the file specified

EFILive Version: 7.5.7 (Build 211)

Platform: Windows XP
Version: 5.1 (build 2600)
Processor type: Pentium 1596MHz

Directories
Temporary Cache: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Temporary cache
Logged Data: C:\Documents and Settings\Chad Leeper\My Documents\black box logs
Customers: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Customers
Configuration: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration
Exported Data: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Exported data
Images: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Images
Sounds: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Sounds
Maps: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps
Pids: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
Virtual Dash: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\VDash
Print Reports: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Print reports
Bug Reports: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug reports

Connected: No

Auto connect: No
Scan OBDII info: No

Error retries: 1
Retry delay: 10
Message throttle: 0

Most recently used VIN: 2GCEC13T241xxxxxx (Note: 1)

PCM information
Unknown: Unknown
Stream-Slow scan mode: Unknown
Stream-Fast scan mode: Unknown
Maximum dynamic packets: Unknown

Most recent communication with vehicle:

Report ID: 171853 (Note: 2)

Notes:
(1) The VIN sequence number is not required for this report and for your privacy it is NOT included in this report.

(2)The report ID is a checksum of the report text and is used to verify the integrity of the report.

this is from my scan tool when i try to open it

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I just used tune and scan to read the ECM in my Trans am.
When I try to edit in V7 it still gives the error code above.

All my old tunes appear to be gone. I don't see them in customers anymore.The .tun files would be located here: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Locate this folder: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

edit: corrected above pathname.

go Edit->Properties->Folders and locate each folder.

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 03:26 PM
ok I see BIns but User configuration is not under bins, mine is under 7.5 . should it be sent to the bins folder?

I see some tune files that are provided by efi live for each ecm . Is that what your talking about?

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
the tune I read from my Trans am early today is saved as a .ctz file, all the others seem to still be .tun

It wont open and read that trans am file either.

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM
ok I see BIns but User configuration is not under bins, mine is under 7.5 . should it be sent to the bins folder?

...No, sorry, my mistyping...

it should be: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

in Edit->Properties->Folders set the User Configuration pathname to this.

joecar
November 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
the tune I read from my Trans am early today is saved as a .ctz file, all the others seem to still be .tun

It wont open and read that trans am file either.Are you opening the .ctz file with the V7 tunetool...?

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I try to edit the file in v7 and it gives me the original error code I first listed .

Aint Skeered
November 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
No, sorry, my mistyping...

it should be: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

in Edit->Properties->Folders set the User Configuration pathname to this.

I found user configuration. where do i go and how do I do Edit->properties->folders and how do I set the path name to this? i am truly sorry that I dont know my way around programs.

I regret trying to update it.

joecar
November 13th, 2012, 04:09 AM
I found user configuration. where do i go and how do I do Edit->properties->folders and how do I set the path name to this? i am truly sorry that I dont know my way around programs.

I regret trying to update it.In the V7 scantool go Edit->Properties->Folders, you will see a list of all the folders and their locations...

post a screenshot of this;

highlight User Configuration and click the Browse button, locate the folder My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration, click Ok.

joecar
November 13th, 2012, 04:12 AM
If you installed V7 build 211 using the default settings, then everything should work...!?!?

Aint Skeered
November 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM
When I open scan tool
Or tune tool, error comes up. When I close the error , it closes the scan or tune tool also.

I
Can not get them to stay open

Aint Skeered
November 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM
If you installed V7 build 211 using the default settings, then everything should work...!?!?

im pretty sure I did with all default settings. should i re load them and do it over?

Aint Skeered
November 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I think I got it figured out. I reloaded my 211 and it did have a question I answered yes to about keeping current locations the first time . This time I answered no and it used default settings and now it works.

I'm still not seeing any old tunes but that's ok if I can still pull a tune from each vehicle and start with that.

I will see if I can flash a tune in my Trans am and also flash with just the hand held in v8

Blacky
November 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Re-install V7.5 and when you are asked to "keep the registry settings", select the option [No] so that the registry settings are reset to factory defaults.
That will allow you to actually run the V7.54 Scan and/or Tune software without the software reporting errors and closing immediately.

Looking at the error trace, your data files may be hidden away in the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins
You may need to copy them manually back to the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Chad Leeper\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I think I got it figured out. I reloaded my 211 and it did have a question I answered yes to about keeping current locations the first time . This time I answered no and it used default settings and now it works.

That was the right thing to do. See my previous post about where your data files might be.
Regards
Paul

Aint Skeered
November 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Re-install V7.5 and when you are asked to "keep the registry settings", select the option [No] so that the registry settings are reset to factory defaults.
That will allow you to actually run the V7.54 Scan and/or Tune software without the software reporting errors and closing immediately.

Looking at the error trace, your data files may be hidden away in the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins
You may need to copy them manually back to the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Chad Leeper\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins

Regards
Paul

That was the right thing to do. See my previous post about where your data files might be.
Regards
Paul
Thanks Paul and joe. I will give this a test run and see if I can figure all the changes out . You guys are great.

Aint Skeered
November 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
It is now wanting me to reregister my v2.
Where do I find my registration key and it has the issue date set as 01-jan-2000.
That is not right , I did find serial number just need reg key.

tokymon
November 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
youre reg key would have been in the box when you bought efi live on blue sheet of paper

joecar
November 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
If you can't find the blue card, then see this: Lost Registration Details (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=2610-QSJC-1535)

Aint Skeered
November 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I notice in my scan tool, a lot of pids are not supported. I try to validate them and there is no explanation of why its not supported.
I would take a screen shot but dont remember how. any ideas?

Aint Skeered
November 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM
never mind, just connected to my vehicle and it validated on its own. Im a rookie again with this.

Aint Skeered
November 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
well it was working, went to do a data log and the pids are back with red x's in them . What makes this change like that?

joecar
November 18th, 2012, 07:35 PM
You should still be able to log those pids.

Aint Skeered
November 19th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I had to log through v2 only. Bbl

There was still several unsupported and could not see all that I needed in spark. I was trying to see the gr/cyl /sec and figure out where to pull timing for when I decided to add nitrous. This was unsupported .

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Post a screenshot of the PIDs tab showing the red X's.

Also, on each pid with a red X, do rightclick->More Info and see what reason it gives for the red X.

Yortt
January 14th, 2013, 11:55 PM
All a little bit confusing this! I am trying to update to the v8 software as it has been indicated this should be done even when using V7 software
I am currently running V7 software 7.5.7 build 211
Downloaded V8 software 8.2.1build 203.
Pluged in the V2 clicked "Check firmware" a message come up saying "no device connected" and it was connected so before even trying to work out how to upgrading the firmware and bootlock I have come to a halt.
can anyone help with what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

joecar
January 15th, 2013, 04:33 AM
If your firmware version is 2.07.xx do this:

With V2 connected to PC:
- start V8 EFILive Explorer (EE), goto firmware tab, and update both bootblock and firmware; exit EE.
- start V8 Scan&Tune (S&T), goto BBx, edit the config for your PCM (if not already done), do Program All; exit S&T.

What firmware version does your V2 have...?

Yortt
January 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the prompt response.
My V2 firmware version is 2.4.65
"edit the config for your PCM (if not already done)," is there a link any where that explains how to do this?

joecar
January 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Since you have firmware prior to 2.4.72, please carefully read and fully understand this document: Upgrading FlashScan.pdf (http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13883&d=1347307826)

Yortt
January 16th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Thanks for that link, after reading the instructions to upgrade it is obvious that it would be very easy to get into trouble.
I have four questions.
(1) It has been indicated this should be done even when using V7 software what is the disadvantage if I do not upgrade?
(2) In the worst case scenario if the upgrade goes wrong can the V2 be recovered?
(3) If it can be recovered what would the approximate cost be?
(4) Does EFI live have a customer service facility to do this upgrade and if so what would the cost be?

Thanks for you help

joecar
January 16th, 2013, 04:42 AM
(1) yes, correct; newer V7 software (corrected and enhanced) talks with newer V2 firmware; you would otherwise only be able run older V7 software.

(2) yes it can (it may have to be sent away to be fixed); but, just don't let it go wrong.

(3) I'm not sure.

(4) I'm not sure.

Where are you geographically located...?

joecar
January 16th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Your steps would be this:

backup your older V7 files located under My Documents\EFILive\V7.5;

then manually download/install the newer V7 and V8 software;

then after rereading the Upgrading FlashScan pdf document do this:
A: perform step A;
reboot V2 and perform the license upgrade;
D: perform step D;

for step A, page 4 shows how to flash firmware 2.04.72, page 5 shows how to upgrade the bootblock to 2.05.08, page 7 shows how to flash in the new firmware 2.05.21;

then, page 8 shows how to do the license upgrade;

for step D, page 6 shows how to flash bootblock 2.07.04, page 7 shows how to flash firmware 2.07.35.

( then, after doing all the above, here is the link on how to configure BBx for your PCM: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch) )

joecar
January 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Here is a related thread: Updating-V2-firmware-bootblock (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20954-Updating-V2-firmware-bootblock)

Blacky
January 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM
(3) If it can be recovered what would the approximate cost be?

No charge, but you would need to pay shipping to/from EFILive in New Zealand.

(4) Does EFI live have a customer service facility to do this upgrade and if so what would the cost be?

No charge, but you would need to pay shipping to/from EFILive in New Zealand.

Shipping via FedEx overnight costs around $50-$80.
Shipping via USPS (can take up to two weeks each way) costs around $10-$15.

Regards
Paul

Yortt
January 16th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joecar and Blacky thank you for the high level of support for this issue, a credit to the EFI Live product.
I now have a better understanding of what is required and if something goes wrong I am not totally lost.
joecar I am located in Sydney.
Thanks again
John

sweetdiesel
February 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I just went from build 88 to the latest and something is wrong.

bootblock is version 2.05.08
firmware is2.07.35

i seen the pdf and guess these dont work together?

what should i do now???

sweetdiesel
February 14th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I figured it out :)

joecar
February 15th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I figured it out :)From reading the pdf here...?: Upgrading-from-older-boottblock-firmware (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20952-Upgrading-from-older-boottblock-firmware)

sweetdiesel
February 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
From reading the pdf here...?: Upgrading-from-older-boottblock-firmware (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20952-Upgrading-from-older-boottblock-firmware)

No I read the upgrading flashscan pdf found on this forum.

i had to put the flash scan in dead poll and go back to a older version of firmware then once i did that, i updated the boot block and then the firmware.

I just skipped a step and that was my issue.

However, I went to flash the truck today and it does not reconize the USB connection?
Am i not suppose to use EFI 7.5 and .tun files anymore now?

Blacky
February 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM
No I read the upgrading flashscan pdf found on this forum.

i had to put the flash scan in dead poll and go back to a older version of firmware then once i did that, i updated the boot block and then the firmware.

I just skipped a step and that was my issue.

However, I went to flash the truck today and it does not reconize the USB connection?
Am i not suppose to use EFI 7.5 and .tun files anymore now?

If you have the V8 software open then V7 can't connect to FlashScan and vice versa. Make sure you're only connected to FlashScan using one or the other versions of the software.

If V8 is running, right click on the FlashScan shaped icon in the system tray (the area in the Windows task bar near the time display) and select Disconnect, then you can use V7 to connect to FlashScan.
Next time you attempt to do something in V8 it will automatically reconnect (provided V7 is not still connected to FlashScan).

Also, you may need to go back to the older drivers (V2.02.04) to keep V7.5 happy. On most Windows machines the older drivers will work better with V7.

Use the program: Start->All Programs->V8->EFILive USB Manager to change USB drivers.
Note: you have to right click on the USB Manager entry in the start menu and select Run as Administrator.

Regards
Paul

joecar
February 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Also, additionally, you will need to reprogram BBx, see post #1 here: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)