PDA

View Full Version : Is this possiable?

DebianDog
February 10th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Now this may me technically possible but maybe you are not doing it due to liability reasons. Since you are collecting all the O2 stats, MAF reading Ltrims, etc couldn’t you write a module or something that would prompt you for a few WOT runs a few steady state 55 MPH monitoring runs. Then, come up with an optimized (or real close) fuel map?

emarkay
February 10th, 2004, 03:38 AM
You mean like an intelligent program - that takes your data and tells you what to adjust???

It's possible, but then it would only be optimised for THAT set of circumstances - sort of like these people that tune on a dyno then wonder why the real world performance is not the same.

Unless you use your car for specific applications like racing, it's just too wide a range of variables to tune for the "best" of all....

Now that is not to say a high mile car, or one that is consistently on the "low side of the curve" or a lightly modified car, would have consistent data that could be improved in this way...

Also, once you go beyond minor modifications, you introduce so many additional and different variables that there is no longer a known baseline to start from, so a custom tuning, with much trial and error is necessary.

I think the best compromise is a well written manual that will feature a good tutorial and then details the hows and whys and lets the user "learn by doing", IMHO... :)

DebianDog
February 10th, 2004, 04:39 AM
O.K. then how about 3 options (racing, street, best gas milage) :P

Sorry just trying to make it easy on myself.

I thought a dyno tune WAS the way to correctly tune a car. No? :?:

dissonance
February 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Dyno tunes focus on a WOT fuel table so you don’t get any tuning done on the normal driving condition tables...

Some tuner will tune for better idle and help stop surging and stalling but they don’t go in and adjust every table for every rpm vs. load vs. air temp vs. maf readings. All these things change day by day… so if you where to have an automatic tuner it would need to gather data each day and adjust from there.

It’s a very good idea… and is possible but I don’t know a clue how to do it. The real time ltrim monitoring in EFILive Pro v6 is a very good place to start and get the ltrims under control.

Modification also would greatly affect an automatic tune, because something just have to be change differently for each car and mods “as MRK stated above“ “it's just too wide a range of variables to tune for the "best" of all.... “

GMPX
February 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Now this may me technically possible but maybe you are not doing it due to liability reasons. Since you are collecting all the O2 stats, MAF reading Ltrims, etc couldn’t you write a module or something that would prompt you for a few WOT runs a few steady state 55 MPH monitoring runs. Then, come up with an optimized (or real close) fuel map?

A good idea indeed, however, think of that like OCR software for recognising text, does it ever work 100%.

I believe Autronic aftermarket ECU's have a self tune function.

I guess when they invent a CPU that can make a decision without being told what to do then it would be possible, until then, the human brain and a good manual can't be beat.

rattle
February 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I think a good idea would be something similar to what was done with the old winaldl program, software logged block learn, intergrator and knock counts into their specific load/rpm cells. all you had to do was drive around for a while and let the software log the data. When you got home just move the data into an excel spread sheet and calculate your new VE values.

Delco
February 22nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
Dyno tunes focus on a WOT fuel table so you don’t get any tuning done on the normal driving condition tables...

Some tuner will tune for better idle and help stop surging and stalling but they don’t go in and adjust every table for every rpm vs. load vs. air temp vs. maf readings. All these things change day by day… so if you where to have an automatic tuner it would need to gather data each day and adjust from there.

here in Aus we use proper dyno's so that statement is invalid , a good tuner will go to every load / rpm point and adjust the tune ( especially when running in speed density mode), unfortunately on a dynojet dyno this is not possible only WOT can be done.

Amazing how reponsive the engine becomes once it is tuned properly on a eddy current dyno .
Self tune like the autronics setup is ok but still wont do spark or the other 100 variables that need ajusting. No computer can yet replace a good person - just potential for disaster.
its not about making it easier but about doing the job properly.

deezel
February 23rd, 2004, 07:32 PM
I think a good idea would be something similar to what was done with the old winaldl program, software logged block learn, intergrator and knock counts into their specific load/rpm cells. all you had to do was drive around for a while and let the software log the data. When you got home just move the data into an excel spread sheet and calculate your new VE values.
I have used tons of EFILive data - import into excel - and calculated a new VE table. I currently use edit for tuning, but FlashScan is sounding really nice! :roll: :D
Seems like a VE-learn function would be tricky. It would require unmodified sensors with decent calibrations. I guess adaptive VE might help improve emissions (more efficient), but automakers seem to have satisfied the tailpipe sniffers with O2 sensors and fuel trims.

bink
February 24th, 2004, 04:09 PM

here in Aus we use proper dyno's so that statement is invalid , a good tuner will go to every load / rpm point and adjust the tune ( especially when running in speed density mode), unfortunately on a dynojet dyno this is not possible only WOT can be done.

Amazing how reponsive the engine becomes once it is tuned properly on a eddy current dyno .
Self tune like the autronics setup is ok but still wont do spark or the other 100 variables that need ajusting. No computer can yet replace a good person - just potential for disaster.
its not about making it easier but about doing the job properly.

Does anyone know of a tuner in the USA that has an Eddy Current (load) dyno?? I thought lingenfelter had one but I didn't see it listed on their website?
joel

GMPX
February 24th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know of a tuner in the USA that has an Eddy Current (load) dyno?? I thought lingenfelter had one but I didn't see it listed on their website?
joel

Joel, ship the C5 downunder, I like the way your car sounds, we'll look after it for you :wink:

bink
February 25th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Joel, ship the C5 downunder, I like the way your car sounds, we'll look after it for you :wink:

Thank you. Do you think we could put it on a returning "Holden/GTO" boat??

I think my car would like to see the F1 circus in March - hmmmmm....I think she's a Williams fan!! :lol:
joel