PDA

View Full Version : Can vins be removed from the cable

Dirk Diggler
February 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
say i tuned a buddies car and he sold it how would i go about getting that pcm id removed. If this isnt possible due to some limitation do you all have any plans on black listing pcm id's once added and then removed from teh cable.

Blacky
February 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM
The short answer is no.

The long answer is, we looked at doing it but there was no room left to fit in the firmware to implement it. We decided it had to go to make way for black-box logging (which takes up a lot of room in the firmware).

The next version of FlashScan will address issues like removing VINs.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 20th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I forgot to say, once you have programmed a vehicle and it is locked to the cable - it is in the cable permanently.

Regards
Paul

BigTex
February 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
I have a related question I've been meaning to ask:

Is flashscan locked to the VIN, to the actual PCM, or both? I'm assuming it is locked to both but thought I'd ask.

It would be nice to have it locked to a PCM only. That was one of my issues with Edit. There were times when I really would have liked to run an 02 VIN/tune on my 99 truck. Would also make moving to a different transmission or vehicle configuration much easier.

Richard

Dirk Diggler
February 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM
I think it locks itself to teh PCM ID and not the vin. Blacky and company will prolly chime in and give a better understadning of what is going on

BigTex
February 22nd, 2005, 05:31 PM
ttt - anyone know?

Blacky
February 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM
I think it locks itself to teh PCM ID and not the vin. Blacky and company will prolly chime in and give a better understadning of what is going on

FlashScan locks to the PCM, the VIN is ignored - so you can move your PCM to a new car and change the PCM's VIN to match the new car without any problems with FlashScan licensing.

Regards
Paul

BigTex
February 23rd, 2005, 12:09 AM
Paul - once again, you guys rock! Thats just what I wanted to hear.

Richard

dfe1
February 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
If the cable is locked to a PCM, what are the option if the PCM has to be replaced? There were several problems with LS1Edit causing PCMs to crash and burn if they were reflashed after being updated at the dealer with the steering lock fix. This may not be an issue with FlashScan, but there always is the possibility of a PCM failure.

Delco
February 24th, 2005, 04:07 PM
If the cable is locked to a PCM, what are the option if the PCM has to be replaced? There were several problems with LS1Edit causing PCMs to crash and burn if they were reflashed after being updated at the dealer with the steering lock fix. This may not be an issue with FlashScan, but there always is the possibility of a PCM failure.

We have tried extensively to crash the PCM during beta testing - even turning the key off while flashing has been ok.

In the unlikely event you are able to crash a PCM I believe the EFILIVE group would be able to recover it to enable you to use it again with your flashscan cable.

I had about 50 corrupted PCM's that LS1edit killed - I have been able to recover all those using Flashscan :D

GMPX
February 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Even a relfash from the dealer will not screw the license info.
The only time this would be a problem is if the PCM actually had a major failure (like an output driver failing etc) and had to be replaced with a new or rebuilt unit.
One issue you will have if you get the PCM updated at the dealership is they will be updating the entire PCM operating system which means your old tun files will not be compatible with the new PCM operating system.
Flashscan won't let you flash incompatible calibrations in, but you will need to start from scratch with the tune again.

Hope that clears it up a bit?

Cheers,
Ross

Dirk Diggler
February 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
50? dayum i thought i was bad killing two of them

GMPX
February 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM

I think he even has pictures to prove it.....the leaning tower of PCM's.

Cheers,
Ross

Delco
February 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM

I think he even has pictures to prove it.....the leaning tower of PCM's.

Cheers,
Ross
Yep dyno testing the PCM's
http://www.chipmaster.com.au/images/PCMtuning.gif

And some dead ones :D

http://www.chipmaster.com.au/images/pcmbench.gif