PDA

View Full Version : STILL can't get my wideband to read... and i can't turn off the MAF

rumblebox
November 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
i set it up via the auto VE tutorial exactly. i'm running SD.

problem 1, i can't tell the computer not to check for my MAF or set "fail" to "1" without the car running for less than 1 second and shutting off.
problem 2, my WB MAP has nothing on it at all.

it's like you have to be an IT person by trade to be a tuner..... i'm about to say **** it and pay someone else to tune the POS.

GMPX
November 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
problem 1, i can't tell the computer not to check for my MAF or set "fail" to "1" without the car running for less than 1 second and shutting off.
Sounds like it's still thinking the MAF is there when it's not.
So, if the MAF has been removed from the car then all you need to do is shut the MIL off for P0101, P0102 & P0103 (table C6002 for GenIII PCM's), and certainly don't disable the MAF DTC's (table C6001).
If the MAF is still fitted but you don't want the PCM to look at it, again just turn the MIL off, have the DTC's enabled still, but set the High Fail Threshold very low (parameter C2901), maybe 50 Hz.

Knowing your way around a computer is pretty much mandatory with tuning EFI vehicles, after all, it is a computer running the engine, not a mechanical device!

rumblebox
November 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I've had the MIL disabled since i went SD 3 years ago, but the autove tutorial said to disable the diag process all together.

I'm pretty good with computers, and i've always found EFI live to be user-friendly, but this friggin wide band is giving me hell. I'm thinking about ditching the serial connector and just going analog.

Behold
November 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Is it the PID you have selected not seeing the Wide band? or do you think it's not seeing the WB it's self due to a cabling issue?

My first test would be to test the WB in the PC Direct and prove is shows data. Then get EFI to see it later. Did the WB come with software?

swingtan
November 17th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Disabling the MIL is not the same as disabling the DTC Type. Disabling the DTC MIL will stop the dash light from coming up when the MAF fails. Disabling the DTC type prevents the ECM from knowing that the MAF has failed, so it keeps trying to use the MAF for air flow measurements. If the MAF is removed and the "DTC Type" is disabled, the ECM will crank and fire, then lean out and stall as the ECM thinks there is no airflow.

Serial WB should be fairly easy to set up, what brand / model of WB are you using? There are also different BAN MAPs for different WB's. You may need to recheck which MAPs and MAP data has been selected.

Simon.

joecar
November 18th, 2012, 04:38 PM
RB,

Is this the LC-1...?

You already made a serial comms null-modem cable for it, did it work...?

Is there any reason you can't follow the Calc.VET tutorial instead (it is much simpler)...?

joecar
November 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM
With the serial comms null-modem cable, you can directly view the LC-1's Lambda/EQR/AFR on the V2 LCD.

joecar
November 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Which pid are you using in your WB map...?

Post a log file.

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 02:02 AM
It is an LC-1

I tested the cable with a needle and a multimeter, and it works.

I thought i could only use Calc.VE if i have a MAF.

After work I'll try to view the data direcy from V2. My wife has the laptop, and she's out of town. So i wont be able to log until sunday.

The PID's I'm using are EXT.WO2AFR1 and EXT.WO2LAM1

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 03:13 AM
From the V2 LCD/keypad navigate down until you see the wideband display...

with V2 connected to the vehicle OBD2 port and also to the LC-1, you should see the wideband reading on the V2 LCD.

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Ok, no MAF, then simply use either of these pids to correct the VE table:
- NBO2 working ok (CL/trims enabled): CALC.SELBEN,
- NBO2 not working (CL/trims disabled): CALC.WO2BEN.

But do make sure you get a MAF DTC (important).

If your engine does not run without the MAF, then the VE table is really incorrect (so much so that the engine can't run).

Can you run with a MAF...?

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Ok, no MAF, then simply use either of these pids to correct the VE table:
- NBO2 working ok (CL/trims enabled): CALC.SELBEN,
- NBO2 not working (CL/trims disabled): CALC.WO2BEN.

with the CalcVE tutorial?

But do make sure you get a MAF DTC (important).

If your engine does not run without the MAF, then the VE table is really incorrect (so much so that the engine can't run).

Can you run with a MAF...?

the car runs and drives fairly well in SD. it only dies when i disable the MAF process enabler instead of only the MIL enabler.

i dont have a MAF to install.

Behold
November 19th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Have you set the MAF range as is oh the tutorial? this is so it never tries to call upon the MAF. I thought you only disable the MIL and set the range to something so low it's pointless...

As to the LC1 you sure you have a null modem cable? I bought one and it failed to work. I replaced it for a converter and it still failed so I made one up with a soldering iron. Works a treat.

Seems many that think they are selling a null modem cable are not.

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 06:38 AM
As to the LC1 you sure you have a null modem cable? I bought one and it failed to work. I replaced it for a converter and it still failed so I made one up with a soldering iron. Works a treat.

Seems many that think they are selling a null modem cable are not.

i made my own.

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 07:19 AM
with the CalcVE tutorial?Yes, those pids are from the Calc.VET tutorial...

if you look at how those pids are defined (in calc_pids.txt) you will see they can be used for any BEN correction map.

the car runs and drives fairly well in SD. it only dies when i disable the MAF process enabler instead of only the MIL enabler.

i dont have a MAF to install.If you don't see a MAF DTC trigger, then the PCM is still using the MAF table in some form (rather than the VE).

In C6001: set the 3 MAF DTC's to either 1-Trip or Non-Emissions... and verify that you get an immediate MAF DTC on engine start (immediate).

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 07:21 AM
i made my own.When you made it did you crossover the Rx and Tx wires...?

The V2 has an LCD page for displaying the serial wideband data (you may have to configure this first using V8 S&T software, goto F6: Devices and look at the Serial IO tab).

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM
i did this exactly. straight from the headphone style jack to the RJ12.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8115-FlashScan-to-LC-1-Serial-Cable-Diagram

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, did you do this: connect to V8 S&T, got Devices, goto Serial IO and set up for Innovate, Save (to file), Program (to V2).

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
yes, per your tutorial.

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ok, power up the LC-1, connect V2 to vehicle OBD2 port, on V2 LCD/keypad navigate down to the wideband display (shows AFR and lambda), run engine to see if wideband is being read by V2.

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
It isnt detecting the WB

rumblebox
November 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Also is there a way i can log with the black box and tune from my desktop PC?

joecar
November 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, you can log using BBL and flash using BBF...

you first have to configure BBx: V8 S&T, goto BBx, goto Scan tab to configure pidlists for your PCM (delete all others), goto Tune tab to configure your PCM (delete all others), Save to file, Program All to V2;

more info: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

rumblebox
November 21st, 2012, 05:54 AM
on second thought, i think i WILL buy another MAF and run it, since my main goal is efficiency now instead of max power.

EDIT: i just ordered an LS2 MAF and pigtail.

so i'll just do the Calc.VET when that comes in.

Behold
November 21st, 2012, 06:34 AM
on second thought, i think i WILL buy another MAF and run it, since my main goal is efficiency now instead of max power.

EDIT: i just ordered an LS2 MAF and pigtail.

so i'll just do the Calc.VET when that comes in.

I have an 85mm maf I could have posted!

rumblebox
November 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM
i got it for $42 shipped. lol

joecar
November 21st, 2012, 06:39 AM
That's a good price for a new MAF.

From where...?

rumblebox
November 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM
ebay. came off a junk yard silverado

joecar
November 21st, 2012, 07:02 AM
Ah :redface:

rumblebox
November 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
alright. i installed the new MAF and connector, and i'm about to see how much better it runs.

questions:

1. does the BB have enough memory to hold a tune without an SD card?
2. what setting do i need to check so i can transfer tunes solely with the BB?
3. what settings on the BB do i need to check to make sure it recognizes my LC-1?

rumblebox
November 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
as expected, it runs a million times better... BUT now my NB simulator is doing nothing (447mv) and prevents my TCC from locking up after 30 seconds of clearing the code. this LC-1 has caused me nothing but problems at this point. The LED was defective. The serial port is apparently defective, and now it appears the NB analog output is defective. I wish i had read the reviews on this POS before wasting $150.

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
alright. i installed the new MAF and connector, and i'm about to see how much better it runs.

questions:

1. does the BB have enough memory to hold a tune without an SD card?
2. what setting do i need to check so i can transfer tunes solely with the BB?
3. what settings on the BB do i need to check to make sure it recognizes my LC-1?Answers:
1. depends (on how slim your BBx config is (i.e. delete all the stuff for PCMs other than yours)).
2. in V8 S&T, goto BBx, goto Tune, there must be an entry for your PCM.
3. in V8 S&T, goto Devices, goto Serial I/O and set Com Port to Wideband, set Wideband to Innovate.

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Can you connect to the LC-1 using LM Programmer...?

Are you sure CL/Trims are enabled...?

rumblebox
November 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I already did all that in V8.

Yes CL and STFT's are enabled. The left NB switches like normal, but the simulator stays at 447mv as if it's not there at all. I'll check to see if the wiring isnt melted or severed tomorrow.

What is the LM programmer?

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 02:55 PM
That indicates either the PCM sees an open in either of the NB signal and/or the NB return...

did you connect both the analog signal and analog ground to the NB socket/plug (pins A and B)...?

( the PCM reads the NB signal wrt the NB return )

rumblebox
November 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM
yes. it worked until about a week ago. i just checked the wires over the heat shield, and they're not burned or visibly severed. why would an O2 fault cause the TCC to unlock? that seems like an intentional asshole move on the programmers' part.

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Tell Innovate what happened (working correctly, then stopped working, wiring is all intact and good).

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I didn't know the TCC unlocks on an O2 fault...

( TCC unlocks on misfires )

rumblebox
November 27th, 2012, 03:51 PM
if they will give me a refund, i'm going with a different brand. what's a reputable one?

the odd thing is the LED blinks until it's warm, then stays steady as if it thinks everything is fine.

rumblebox
February 16th, 2013, 09:20 AM
i quickly figured out why my TCC wouldnt stay locked, BTW. when i updated my OS, i forgot to disable the misfire tables.