PDA

View Full Version : Smoke or No Smoke w tuning EFILive, MCC etc

mega2006
November 19th, 2012, 03:45 AM
:Eyecrazy:Ok so here is my question which came from a talk between a well ranked diesel truck puller and myself. I am running a custom tuned 06 w EFILive from a well know tuner on the forum. My tune is very very clean and lots of power and I am VERY please with his work. The puller seen the video and was saying I have minimal smoke. I know more smoke means more fuel, more fuel allows for more of the air/oxygen to be burn't in combustion, hence making my power. So not from a environmental perspective, is there more HP just not as clean, and the clean tuning more for the street and sort of a compromise of HP and cop friendly? I am not asking about cool poitns of rolling smoke. I am just wondering will a clean tune make as much HP as one where you added additional fuel

andrewjamesbond1
November 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Not really sure and am anxious to hear what everyone says. Probably depends on a multitude of things, such as can you build enough airflow, safety of the motor, and other things... A lot of old school people think that smoke is power because turbos weren't nearly as advanced as they are today and as a result, the motor was quite smokey, especially during spool up. However, this shows you can make mass power and be smokeless :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG1r0qvgzPU

ScarabEpic22
November 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Smoke != power. Smoke = dumping lots of fuel, some that the engine cant burn.

You can tune a Duramax or Cummins correctly and have little to no smoke and still make all the power the big smokey tunes make. Honestly the only reason Id make a smoke tune is to piss your buddies off, much more fun outrunning cars with no smoke because they think you're stock. :D