PDA

View Full Version : Reassignment of PCM IO and custom OS

aduhaime2003
November 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM
First off, sorry if I have overlooked something and the answers to my questions are somewhere.

I was wondering about using some of the unused IO on my LBZ duramax for optional control of things such as methanol injection.

I have not really don't a considerable amount of tuning experience by any standard but what I have done in the past was in the ECM of my 92 eagle talon. If you are aware there is free software out there to modify the bins and it uses an XDF definition file. The bin is simply modified by either making actual raw hex file modifications or by using the XDF to translate the data in specific addresses into tables or charts. You are only modifying a bin using a fancy gui that helps visualize the changes being made. There is inherent power in a tool like this because you can use the assembly code of the microprocessor to make use of IO or evaluate additional information to add 2 stage rev limiters etc.

What I am getting at is, EFILive, however very refined, is a high level editor and seems to remove this ability from the tuner. Is there a way to get around this limitation? Can we reassign the IO from the EGR controls for example.

The egr has an analog input and 4 digital outputs. Now I am not sure if they are tied to a dedicated stepper control circuit and therefore only would equal a single digital signal, or if they are directly controlled via the microprocessor and could be individually controlled in a pwm fashion perhaps.

I cannot help but wonder. I am a tinkerer and this would be a fun project. I am making a controller right now that will be the basis of my methanol injection. I would think that it would be awesome to make a simplified version that could be PCM controlled.

Thoughts, anyone...

GMPX
November 29th, 2012, 11:42 PM
EFILive does this in some of their custom OS's for the earlier Duramax and LS1 PCM's. It's not simple by any means, especially when you are talking about the LBZ as it's a Bosch design (super confusing).

aduhaime2003
November 30th, 2012, 05:06 AM
What do you mean by super confusing? Are you referring to design, instruction set, or programming techniques?