PDA

View Full Version : Cannot change vin in 12633238 E38

Jedi_Jr
December 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
What is the procedure to change a VIN in a 2011 12633238 E38? I have tried it in the scanning tool and it refuses (out of range) and I have done a full flash with a file with the correct VIN and still no change, correct calibration, but wrong VIN. Junkyard v6 4x4 PCM and it works fine with wrong VIN, I just want the correct VIN in there.

joecar
December 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM
The usual method is with the scantool.

The VIN you're trying to write is out of range...? I contacted Tech Support.

Blacky
December 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM
There is a new restriction that is active in some E38 controllers and possibly other models as well but so far we've only seen it in E38 controllers.
It prevents you from changing the VIN to any other value.

To bypass the restriction we've found this procedure to work:

1. Connect up the ECM (i.e. vehicle) to FlashScan and FlashScan to the PC as you would normally.
2. Start the V7.5 Tuning Tool software.
3. Start reading the contents of the controller.
4. Once the software has started reading the controller, click [Stop].
5. Click [ok] to the "Data transfer was interrupted" message.
6. Do NOT switch off the ignition.
7. Wait for the countdown to complete and close the window.
8. Open the Security window and click on the [Check Status] button.
9. Wait for the check status to complete, then goto the VIN window and change the VIN - it should work.
10. Now switch off the ignition and wait for the countdown to complete (I would prefer if you waited 30 seconds instead of 15).
11. Switch on ignition and the VIN should now be the new VIN.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
December 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Interested to know Paul, this info should be made into a sticky! I havent played with an E38, just the E67 and Ive never had an issue changing the VIN.

Jedi_Jr
December 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
It worked per Blacky's instructions. Thanks!!!!

Lextech
December 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM
9. Wait for the check status to complete, then goto the VIN window and change the VIN - it should work.
10. Now switch off the ignition and wait for the countdown to complete (I would prefer if you waited 30 seconds instead of 15).

Regards
Paul

I am doing a VIN change and am stuck at step #8. I don't see a "Security" window. I do have the "Check Status" box. I clicked the Check Status and waited for it to complete. It completes but I don't see a "VIN" window. I am using V2 and just updated 7.5 about 5 minutes ago.

Jeff

Jedi_Jr
December 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Look for the Flash drop down menu on the top bar and then select PCM security. Vin/BCC will be a tab in the dialog box. You can also change the vin from within the scanner at this point too.

Lextech
December 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I am still having issues. I am going to start a new thread. I don't want to crud up the sticky.

Jeff

VEGASROBBI
July 18th, 2015, 05:03 AM
There is a new restriction that is active in some E38 controllers and possibly other models as well but so far we've only seen it in E38 controllers.
It prevents you from changing the VIN to any other value.

To bypass the restriction we've found this procedure to work:

1. Connect up the ECM (i.e. vehicle) to FlashScan and FlashScan to the PC as you would normally.
2. Start the V7.5 Tuning Tool software.
3. Start reading the contents of the controller.
4. Once the software has started reading the controller, click [Stop].
5. Click [ok] to the "Data transfer was interrupted" message.
6. Do NOT switch off the ignition.
7. Wait for the countdown to complete and close the window.

Regards
Paul

Thank You it worked perfect for me after spending an hour with no success.

GMPX
July 21st, 2015, 12:12 PM
Oh there is an easier way, just have the 'clear DTC' box ticked in the VIN change window.

VEGASROBBI
July 21st, 2015, 12:33 PM
Oh there is an easier way, just have the 'clear DTC' box ticked in the VIN change window.

Okay I will give that a try next time, thank you.

VEGASROBBI
August 29th, 2015, 07:25 AM

Checking the "clear DTC" box did not work for me(tried twice), I used the previous method and it worked perfect.