PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GMC Sierra w/5.3L

TurboRick
December 12th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Hello,

I'm new here and looking to do some logging and tuning to my GMC truck. What do I need?

TIA

Rick

TurboRick
December 12th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Do I need a Flash Scan or just a cable to the laptop?

Thanks for any insight.

joecar
December 12th, 2012, 04:44 AM
You will need at a FlashScan (since the OBD-II signals are not compatible with the serial port on the laptop).

TurboRick
December 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
$800 just to scan and do some tuning? :shock:

MadMaxx61
December 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
$800 just to scan and do some tuning? :shock:

Think about it the price is not bad at all.

You get 2 ECM licenses and 2 TCM licenses with that. You can retune them over and over again as much as you want. Once you own the V2 you can log/scan as much as you want.

TurboRick
December 13th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Think about it the price is not bad at all.

You get 2 ECM licenses and 2 TCM licenses with that. You can retune them over and over again as much as you want. Once you own the V2 you can log/scan as much as you want.

It's way steep IMO. Cut the price in half and it's still not feasible for the individual..

I'll keep my eye open for a used one or find one to barrow.

MadMaxx61
December 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM
It's way steep IMO. Cut the price in half and it's still not feasible for the individual..

I'll keep my eye open for a used one or find one to barrow.

Well maybe you need a better job.

It is feasible for the individual as I know a ton of people that have a v2 and only use it for one car/truck. Yes it is not cheap but you get what you pay for. If you don't like the price don't buy it. Hell you could but a canned tuner and a box fooler and still not get what you get from EFILIVE and pay more.

Also always remember you have to pay if you want to play.

Go look at HP tuners but good luck with customer support.

TurboRick
December 18th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Well maybe you need a better job.

It is feasible for the individual as I know a ton of people that have a v2 and only use it for one car/truck. Yes it is not cheap but you get what you pay for. If you don't like the price don't buy it. Hell you could but a canned tuner and a box fooler and still not get what you get from EFILIVE and pay more.

Also always remember you have to pay if you want to play.

Go look at HP tuners but good luck with customer support.

I can't see paying that much for something that will only be used a handful of times then sit on the shelf collecting dust. Has nothing to do with my job.

joecar
December 18th, 2012, 05:03 AM
If you run boost as your username implies, you will be using it more than a handful of times :)

but, it's not for everybody

[ what exactly were you going to tune...? ]

tokymon
December 18th, 2012, 06:42 AM
you could always pay someone to tune it for you

ScarabEpic22
December 18th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I can't see paying that much for something that will only be used a handful of times then sit on the shelf collecting dust. Has nothing to do with my job.

Lol, if you think buying a FlashScan and that you'll be able to get your tune done then put it away using it just a handful of times, you should just buy a tune from a vendor. Its not that easy or simple, having a LS1 PCM makes it easier but if you just want to do it and be done, buy a tune.

Im all about DIY, but you have to be willing to make the investment. Financially with a V2 purchase is just the beginning, plan on at least 20 hours reading and learning. If you dont, you'll run in circles and waste more time plus become extremely frustrated.

Just what Ive noticed over the years, EFILive isnt a canned tune handheld with datalogging capabilities. Its much much more powerful and therefore requires much much more investment on the user's part.

joecar
December 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
It's very much like buying an extensive set of Snap-On hand tools... you have to know and/or learn what to do with them.