PDA

View Full Version : Changing an E39 auto cal to manual

slammed39
December 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm working on swapping an E39 LAF/LEA 2.4l direct injection ecotec into a standalone project w/ a t56 manual. The problem I've ran into is that there are no manually equipped cals to use. Is it possible to convert an auto file to manual. The camaros with the LFX sidi v6 use the same E39 ecm but with a manual cal the vss inputs directly into the ecm. I'm positive I'll run into lots of issues trying to run this motor on an auto cal without a tcm and no vss signal.

Any ideas or tricks to get this to work? Possible to take a manual 2.0l LHU cal and change enough stuff to get it to run the NA 2.4 LAF?

GMPX
December 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Do you know if the engine was ever offered in manual form anywhere? I know that GM are selling a lot of Chevrolet vehicles in to Europe now where people want manual transmissions (UK certainly), if there is a European version of the Equinox , LaCrosse etc they might have a factory manual tune.

slammed39
December 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I've looked over the ecm schematics on gm's site for all the platforms. captiva, equinox, regal, lacrosse. No luck finding a manual ever being offered behind the new DI ecotecs.

turbo_bu
December 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM
If there is not a direct cal for it as a manual, it's time to start using a "similar" engine tune. As you said, find a 2.0L or another 4 cylinder DI engine that did come from the factory with a manual. I thought the Cruze might have one .... though not sure it was a DI engine.

slammed39
December 13th, 2012, 05:31 AM
That would be the LHU from the 2.0l turbo Buick Regals. It uses the same ECM p/n, so that's a good thing. So you think starting with the manual cal from that car and changing all the NA tables over would work?

ScarabEpic22
December 13th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Should work for a standalone project, for a GM vehicle Id bet no.

They're the same ECM, one vehicle just happens to be FI while the other isnt. Use the LHU OS (use a Tech II to flash it, Im betting there will be differences in the ETC code that EFILive cant program) then use the VVE, spark, injector, etc tables from the LAF engine.

slammed39
December 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM
So, I'm having no luck flashing the correct OS into my new ecm. I'm using gm's online SPS and a drew mongoose/bench harness, I can get the LEA/auto file into the ecm, but cannot get the LHU/manual file loaded. It keeps failing. Is there a trick to flashing these e39's via gm's sps. Or do the lhu cars use a different ecm pn. I'm using the 2012 e39 12651994. The os I'm trying to load into it is 12650103. The LEA 12648907 os loaded up fine, and read out with efilive. Just need to swap it with the lhu os.

GMPX
December 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM
All those numbers line up, 12648907 & 12650103 are very close as far as GM's updates go and both are for 2012 model cars. There should be no reason for it to fail.

slammed39
December 19th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Success! Tried it again, let it fail, then took flashscan and manually changed vin to proper LHU vin. Rehooked to SPS and did a reflash, it completed successfully this time. Seems the SPS wasn't wanting to change vins. Cal downloaded to efilive perfectly, so I hope it is a good flash. Efilive reports it as a clutch to clutch in details, but from looking at dtc settings I'm sure it is a manual tune.

slammed39
March 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Ok, the 2.4l DI motor now runs on a modified LHU 2.0l Regal manual calibration. Current issue is it constantly hunts at idle. I'm thinking I need to adjust the throttle area settings to let it know I'm running the larger LEA 2.4l throttle body. But, those tables do not exist in either calibrations viewed on efilive. Is there any chance those could be added to the cals so I could change those settings? I guess my other option is to fit an LHU throttle body but that would be a restriction.