PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - chart inspector

Rich Z
December 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM
OK, I can't seem to find the answer to this in the scanning tutorial, so maybe someone can answer this one.

In the chart inspector, I find myself manually scanning through a log, and get to a spot where I would like to BEGIN the playback rather than at the beginning. Maybe even loop through it over and over again. However, I can't seem to find any method to do this. The start button ALWAYS takes me back to the beginning of the log. So how can I do this?

BTW, while looking through the tutorial looking for this answer, I found that it indicates a method to either cut out a section of the log, or to crop the ends AROUND a selection. However, the control keyboard use is indicated as being Ctrl-Del for both methods. Is this correct? Maybe I'm missing something but that seems unlikely to me.

darcy
December 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hey Rich

Why are you trying to replay the log?
Having the log charted out in front of you and running back and forwards over it with the chart inspector to see values tells more of a story to me than watching the chart 'worms' play out.

Ctrl + BkSp is the crop shortcut key; it's also the last icon to right at the bottom of the page.

cheers
darcy

Rich Z
December 25th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hey Rich

Why are you trying to replay the log?
Having the log charted out in front of you and running back and forwards over it with the chart inspector to see values tells more of a story to me than watching the chart 'worms' play out.

Ctrl + BkSp is the crop shortcut key; it's also the last icon to right at the bottom of the page.

cheers
darcy

Well I view the log to look for interrelationships between the values being displayed. Isn't that what it is for? For instance, when my AFR is changing, what other values are changing either as a cause or a result of the AFR values? Are the changes linear in relation to other values changing?

The reason I would want to START the log playing at some place other than the very beginning is because something interesting might be happening further along down the timeline that I want to start real time viewing without starting at the beginning and WAITING for the log to get to that point. Seriously, this is not a feature in this log playback function? :Eyecrazy: Has no one here ever worked with editing video or audio files?

But thanks for the shortcut for cropping. I think someone needs to edit the tutorial. Whoever proofread it must have missed that error.

mr.prick
December 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
You can insert notes into the chart. ;)

Cropping is in the Data Logging and Playback section of the Scan Tool User Manual
Pages 98 - 102

Notes are page 168

Rich Z
December 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
You can insert notes into the chart. ;)

Cropping is in the Data Logging and Playback section of the Scan Tool User Manual
Pages 98 - 102

Notes are page 168

Yes, I have just finished reading the scan tutorial. My question was about a conflicting keyboard control for cropping being shown in that tutorial.

Well, I can MOVE to a note directly, but I still can't start playback FROM a note. At least not that I can see. I guess I'm the only one who has ever felt a function to START playback from the cursor is handy to have?

But thanks for at least replying here.

joecar
December 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM
You can zoom in on a section of the chart display...

i.e. so you can see the pid values laid out graphically within the zoomed range...

(and you can manually move the cursor/inspector along the zoomed chart display)

doing this I find I never need to use the replay function.

Rich Z
December 26th, 2012, 08:55 PM
You can zoom in on a section of the chart display...

i.e. so you can see the pid values laid out graphically within the zoomed range...

(and you can manually move the cursor/inspector along the zoomed chart display)

doing this I find I never need to use the replay function.

Well, I would like to set up the camcorder and capture sections of the log playback for illustration purposes on my own website, but having to restart it from the beginning for each segment would be a real PITA. I guess if no one else wants to be able to do this, then no way it will ever be a feature in EFILive, but I have to admit I was pretty surprised that there is no function to do that. I don't think I've ever seen a stream viewing function like this that didn't have this ability. Well, this isn't the first time that I found out I was the only one in the world to do something different from everyone else. :)