PDA

View Full Version : High speed flashing problems

JoshH
January 2nd, 2013, 03:46 AM
I'm having some strange problems with a truck, and I was hoping someone could help me figure out what is going on. The truck is an 03 with an aftermarket radio. If you try to flash it with the high speed box checked, it will say the controller is unlicensed, but if you uncheck it, it will flash. I just tried to do a cal flash with the V8 software. It completed the flash, but it threw a checksum error at the end and wouldn't turn over when trying to start it. I'm doing a full flash with the V7.5 software right now. It also shows the controller is unlicensed if you try to flash with the V2 standalone.

joecar
January 2nd, 2013, 05:04 AM
Try with the radio disabled (fuse removed).

What year/model/vehicle...?

JoshH
January 2nd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Try with the radio disabled (fuse removed).

What year/model/vehicle...?

I tried removing the radio fuse, and it still acts up. It is a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB with an LB7 and an Allison transmission. It works perfect if you uncheck the high speed box.

JoshH
January 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Bump

ScarabEpic22
January 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM
Have you tried completely unplugging the radio then trying to flash? Im assuming you have at least 1 integration box that is attached to the VPW bus, if this module doesnt shut down correctly it will keep broadcasting and mess up the comms on the entire data bus. Just pulling the radio fuse wont do it if you have an aftermarket stereo and integration box(es).

JoshH
January 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Have you tried completely unplugging the radio then trying to flash? Im assuming you have at least 1 integration box that is attached to the VPW bus, if this module doesnt shut down correctly it will keep broadcasting and mess up the comms on the entire data bus. Just pulling the radio fuse wont do it if you have an aftermarket stereo and integration box(es).
I have not. Not sure it's worth the trouble if that's what it takes.

joecar
January 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Other modules on the serial/VPW bus might be chattering... you might have to try removing other fuses (e.g. BCM, On-Star, ...).

JoshH
January 4th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking it must be something to do with the radio. It has had an aftermarket radio for a while, but it was recently changed to a different one. It didn't do that before the new radio. I just didn't know the integration boxes could be causing problems. I thought pulling the radio fuse would take care of it.

ScarabEpic22
January 4th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I'm thinking it must be something to do with the radio. It has had an aftermarket radio for a while, but it was recently changed to a different one. It didn't do that before the new radio. I just didn't know the integration boxes could be causing problems. I thought pulling the radio fuse would take care of it.

Unfortunately, no.

Try pulling the integration boxes, if it flashes successfully after that in high speed then you have to decide if you want to keep pulling them or use low speed. Sucks, but its not anything EFILive can do anything about because its a 3rd party not writing their code to force the modules to shut down correctly.

Chevy366
January 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I have integration boxes on my Silverado and as long as I pull the aftermarket radio fuse it flashes fine.
Sometimes the door being open can cause a none flash, turn off the lights if set to auto.

killerbee
January 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM
... it will say the controller is unlicensed....

This is starting to sound like a V7 hickup, perhaps something from a recent update. Another thread discusses a similar event that Ross chiimed in on.

Blacky
January 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I tried removing the radio fuse, and it still acts up. It is a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB with an LB7 and an Allison transmission. It works perfect if you uncheck the high speed box.

The current EFILive software will sometime have an issue with the Allison transmission controller (the EFILive software is not telling it to suspend its periodic messages correctly) and that can cause the engine controller flash to fail.
Try disconnecting the trans from the data bus (or removing the trans controller fuse).

The problem is fixed in the next update.

Regards
Paul

JoshH
January 7th, 2013, 04:59 PM
The current EFILive software will sometime have an issue with the Allison transmission controller (the EFILive software is not telling it to suspend its periodic messages correctly) and that can cause the engine controller flash to fail.
Try disconnecting the trans from the data bus (or removing the trans controller fuse).

The problem is fixed in the next update.

Regards
PaulThanks Paul. I'll give it a try.