PDA

View Full Version : Black box mode

curtbriggs
February 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Flash Scan has my VIN but didn't log in the black box mode, the Log LED wouldn't stay on. I went back and accomplished page 94 and it still won't log. What am I missing?

GMPX
February 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM
O.K, first thing to check is what the "Max Frames Per Log" is set to (Ctrl+PgDn), set this to '0', that means unlimited logging.

Perhaps the validation is not happeneing.
Can you get your laptop out to the car?.
If so, connect with the laptop, choose to validate PID's (Shift+F2).
Then try programming your PID's into the F.S adaptor (Ctrl+PgDn) again to access that menu.
Also, just as a test, try lowering the number of PID's you have selected to under 24, that gives best results anyway.

Also, when you try to log, does the log LED very quickly light up then go out? (It will do that if there is no connection to the PCM), or does the Log and OBD lights do anything when the log button is pressed?

Cheers,
Ross

Delco
February 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM
While we are on logging :)

Does the first log file get overwritten if the logs exceed the limit.

Do you need to clear the logs once you have saved them to the laptop and if so what is the best method.

GMPX
February 20th, 2005, 08:26 PM
While we are on logging :)

Does the first log file get overwritten if the logs exceed the limit.

Do you need to clear the logs once you have saved them to the laptop and if so what is the best method.

Once it approaches being full, the MEM LED will start flashing, once it is full, that is it, it will not start a new log or overwrite existing logs, it must be cleared by a PC.

Cheers,
Ross

curtbriggs
February 23rd, 2005, 08:04 AM
[quote="GMPX"]O.K, first thing to check is what the "Max Frames Per Log" is set to (Ctrl+PgDn), set this to '0', that means unlimited logging.

Ross, it was set at 600 and the memory was full, I down loaded/erased and set it at zero and now it works.
I finally found the "validate PIDs" under the INFO radio button. Might want to add that to Pg 94.

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
February 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
[quote=GMPX]O.K, first thing to check is what the "Max Frames Per Log" is set to (Ctrl+PgDn), set this to '0', that means unlimited logging.

Ross, it was set at 600 and the memory was full, I down loaded/erased and set it at zero and now it works.
I finally found the "validate PIDs" under the INFO radio button. Might want to add that to Pg 94.

Thanks, Curt

There are two ways to validate PIDs:

1. Using the option under the "Info" menu. This option is for use when the PC/Laptop is connected to the vehicle via FlashScan. This is the preferred/easiest method for validating PIDs if you have a laptop (or a desktop close to the vehicle).

2. Validate PIDs via black box logging. This option is for use when you do not have access to a laptop and cannot connect your desktop to the vehicle - usualyl because it is too far away. And who really wants to lug their desktop out to the garage?

The idea behind black box PID validation is to allow the FlashScan unit to interrogate the PCM for supported PIDs, then when FlashScan is brought back to the PC and reconnected, it can report back the results of which PIDs are valid.

With option 2, you need to configure FlashScan to validate PIDs. You do that by using the menu option: FlashScan->Program selected PIDs into FlashScan. Then click on the [Validate] button. That sets up FlashScan to be in "PID validation mode".

Then take FlashScan to the vehicle, plug it in, switch on the ignition and press the [Start/stop data logging] button. Wait 10-15 seconds for the PIDs to be validated. Then switch off the ignition and take FlashScan back to the PC and plug it in.

Then use the menu option FlashScan->Read logged data from FlashScan and click the [Retrieve] button. That will cause EFILive to query the FlashScan unit for validated PIDs.

Regards
Paul

bK
March 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM

I'm interested in the best method of clearing the logs too.

The way I've been clearing it quickly for another log run is going into FLASHSCAN CONTROL PANEL and hit the button "PID's" .... memory erased.

Blacky
March 11th, 2005, 12:50 AM

The way I've been clearing it quickly for another log run is going into FLASHSCAN CONTROL PANEL and hit the button "PID's" .... memory erased.

No, you don't need to clear the logs. Each time you start logging a new log file is created in FlashScan. You can clear them at any time. If the FlashScan memory fills up logging will stop and cannot be restarted until the log files are cleared.

Clicking on the PIDs button is the quickest (and appropriate) way to clear the FlashScan memory.

Regards
Paul

Delco
March 11th, 2005, 01:12 AM

No, you don't need to clear the logs. Each time you start logging a new log file is created in FlashScan. You can clear them at any time. If the FlashScan memory fills up logging will stop and cannot be restarted until the log files are cleared.

Clicking on the PIDs button is the quickest (and appropriate) way to clear the FlashScan memory.

Regards
Paul

yes but if I only have space in the box for 1 min left and I start logging its going to stop isnt it - or does it overright the older stuff ?.

I would have thought once I downloaded the log to the laptop it would delete it from the box ? ie move the file ?.

If it doesnt do that what is the best procedure to clear the logs after I have downloaded them.

Delco
March 11th, 2005, 01:18 AM
[

Regards
Paul

Woops missed the last crititical part of that message

DougSS
March 25th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Hello a first timer here, and trying things out and seem to have run into a problem.

So reading here and the manual, I thought I had done everything right.
On a previous session I validated my PIDS (the .vpl file exists)
Taking the default PIDs, I changed slightly the priority of the ECT to 2 after reading
in the manual about it not needing high priority.

Here's the file I saved prior to programming the flashscan.

[Parameters]
CALC.CYLAIR=1,17
CALC.INJDC1=1,18
CALC.INJDC2=1,19
GM.FTC=1,0
GM.HO2S11=1,1
GM.HO2S21=1,2
GM.IBPW1=1,3
GM.IBPW2=1,4
GM.KR=1,5
GM.MAFFREQ=1,6
SAE.ECT=2,20
SAE.FUELSYS=1,7
SAE.IAT=1,8
SAE.LONGFT1=1,9
SAE.LONGFT2=1,10
SAE.MAF=1,11
SAE.MAP=1,12
SAE.RPM=1,13
SAE.SPARKADV=1,14
SAE.TP=1,15
SAE.VSS=1,16

Programming the Flashscan I used all the defaults except changed the 'Max frames per log'
to zero (for unlimited)

So off I go for a ride, and pressed the start/stop data logging buttton, creating 4
separate logs. The log light comes on, everything seems to be working.

Get back, hook it up to my pc and bring the window "Retrieve black box log files" and see
that about 3/4 of the memory is used up. Yet the time and frame columns all show zeros.
Is this caused by detecting a DTC. My PCM constantly sets DTC P1416, so will this prevent
no more data being logged?

I click select all, and then retrieve.
The USB light on the flashscan lights up, transfer finishes under a minute.
I then try to do a playback but nothing happens. Am I still missing something?

BTW I'm driving a 2000 Camaro SS, and using FlashScan v7.1.8

Any help would be great.

Blacky
March 27th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Taking the default PIDs, I changed slightly the priority of the ECT to 2 after reading in the manual about it not needing high priority.

Although this is not specified in the manual, setting the PID priorites has no effect in black box logging. Every PID in black box logging is logged at priority 1.
The PID priorities are only taken into account when using Dynamic scan mode and when logging directly to the PC.

I click select all, and then retrieve.
The USB light on the flashscan lights up, transfer finishes under a minute.
I then try to do a playback but nothing happens. Am I still missing something?

This problem has been reported before. We have not yet figured out what is causing it. If you can please keep the black box data in the cable - i.e. don't clear it. Then we will soon have a program available that will dump an image of the black box memory that can be returned to EFILive. Once we get the memory image we can figure out what the problem is.

So please keep a lookout on the V7 downloads page for the black-box dump utility that we will upload soon (hopefully later this week).
http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_7.html

Regards
Paul

DougSS
March 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Sorry, but between the time of my post and your post I had already cleared the memory from the Flashscan cable when I was demonstrating EFILive to my brother over the weekend. I'll reprogram the Flashscan cable with the same pids, and see if the problem repeats itself. If it does then I'll download your dump utility when it becomes available.

Thanks Paul for letting me know I'm not the only one with this problem.

DougSS
April 10th, 2005, 06:46 PM
FYI, reprogrammed the same PID's tonight and still have the same problem of not being able to download the logs from the flashscan.
Checked for the download utility and didn't find it... will it be available sometime this month? No real rush for it, but would like to find a solution soon.

Blacky
April 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM
FYI, reprogrammed the same PID's tonight and still have the same problem of not being able to download the logs from the flashscan.
Checked for the download utility and didn't find it... will it be available sometime this month? No real rush for it, but would like to find a solution soon.

We are posting a pre-release version of EFILive V7.1.9 in the next 24 hours.
Built into the V7.1.9 Scan Tool, is the option to dump the entire contents of the FlashScan black-box memory. It's in the same windows as the nmormal upload data options.

The download will be published on the V7 download page in the next day or so.
http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_7.html

I would like to see the memory dump of your FlashScan cable, can you please send it to me at paul@efilive.com - thanks.

Regards
Paul

DougSS
April 17th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Paul, I sent you an email today with my dump file.